PDA

View Full Version : Sony Announces 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo

wraggster
March 2nd, 2007, 16:12
Im sure we posted about this before but gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/sony-announces-8gb-memory-stick-pro-duo-241010.php) have new details on the 8GB Mem Stick heading to PSP.

Sony announced it's raising the capacity of its Memory Stick Pro Duo to 8GB. Going on sale in Japan on March 9 for $325, the eight-gig flash memory cards won't work with all Sony VAIO laptops or Cybershot cameras—only with those sold in 2007. The good news is that your PlayStation Portable (PSP) will accept the new flash cards, but you'll need to be running firmware version 2.81.

Of course, Sony has such a proprietary mindset that some of its products aren't compatible with its own proprietary memory sticks. You might want to check the compatibility page (which doesn't include the 8GB Memory Stick yet, but promises to do so soon), listing the dozens of Sony products and telling you which one of the company's Memory Sticks will work with each. It's like navigating through a maze. Not amazing at all.

Lets hope Dark ALex Firmware will support these :)

JKKDARK
March 2nd, 2007, 16:17
It's really good news! 8GB will be excellent for me :)

comicgeek
March 2nd, 2007, 16:31
Why do Sony make their supporting product more expensive than their main products? This is crazy!

Prasoc
March 2nd, 2007, 16:36
Buy it on ebay like a couple months after ;) look at how much 4gigs are on ebay atm (around £30)

darthhaze420
March 2nd, 2007, 16:38
will it work with dax fw 3.03oe-c + cause my 4gb is packed to capacity with homebrew emulators and roms i can use the extra 4gb

Man
March 2nd, 2007, 16:57
I have seen 8GB sticks for sale on ebay already, in the UK, there like 222$ canadian. (probabky fakes)

Veskgar
March 2nd, 2007, 17:06
Lets hope Dark ALex Firmware will support these :)

Yes I'm pretty sure Dark_AleX's firmware will support the 8GB PRO Duo sticks. This is because the 4GB cap was lifted with the 2.81 or 2.82 update. So if you are using say 3.10 OE-A' like I am, there won't be a problem.

The only problem that some anticipate may happen is that if you are using the 1.50 kernel w/ custom firmware perhaps the old 4GB cap may kick in when using homebrew. But using 3.xx features like the PSX Emulator should be able to handle 8GB fine.

If Dark_AleX hasn't already, I'm sure he could come up with a fix for full support of 8GB sticks.

I am hoping very much that SanDisk puts out an Ultra II version of the 8GB.

JUSTiNB
March 2nd, 2007, 17:15
what a ridiculous pricetag. i hope no one buys these so they reduce the price quicker :eek:

LAMPRO
March 2nd, 2007, 17:27
yeah.. the whole cap thing at 1.5 and lifting the cap after 2.71 or 2.8 this is really the q. im on 303 and use kernal 1.5, so we'll see.

jurkevicz
March 2nd, 2007, 17:46
I'll get one once the price hits $115.00

quzar
March 2nd, 2007, 18:03
Why do Sony make their supporting product more expensive than their main products? This is crazy!

It actually is more expensive to produce that much memory in that format than you'd think, along with the fact that the supply/demand factor for the PSP itself compared to the stick is very high.

Chameleon
March 2nd, 2007, 19:46
Hell, Ive been waiting for this for the last 6 months!!!

I have a feeling the 1.5 kernel will bring up some problems, but nothing that cant be solved with a nice PRX :)

Buddy4point0
March 2nd, 2007, 20:11
ouch. 325$ r u kidding me
dude a 4 gig is 60 bucks
you could get 5 4 gigs for the price of a 8 gig!
thats 20 gigs to 4
ill stick with my 4 gig memory stick

DarthPaul
March 2nd, 2007, 20:18
Wow good "news"...This isn't news,I heard of it months ago. I thought it was out already. Anyways 8gb is cool,but what the hell $325? My ****. I won't pay that much.

zsc
March 2nd, 2007, 21:53
this has been available on Amazon for a few weeks already. if you're afraid of buying fakes on ebay, check out some of Amazon's reputable sellers...and not the one that "just launched", those are probably the same people as the ones on ebay. i think the current prices hover around 3x that of the 4GB variation. I was lucky and got a 4gb on sale+rebate at a local retailer for $60...that puts the 8GB about 4x the cost of my 4GB...simply not worth it. considering most "contents" are probably 2GB and below (ie. capacity of UMD disc), it's doesnt make much sense to pay that much for such large capacity. though it allows you to pack even more stuffs into a single MSPD, you're paying quite a premium on it.

the only benefit that I can see of having an 8GB mspd is the storage of my satellite image map of Los angeles for Deniska's MapThis, GPS Map Viewer for the PSP, which covers ALL of Los Angeles, now that's big...but not needed if it's gonna cost me almost US$300.

ish420ism
March 3rd, 2007, 05:11
8 GB?, I don't think I'll be needing that Ipod after all

diceone
March 6th, 2007, 19:10
I'm most interested to see how this plays out with the 1.5 kernel in custom firmware.
honestly, it is my understanding that even though the kernel is 1.5 that the operating functionality is 3.xx
so hopefully it won't be an issue.
if it is, it may be something as simple as having your emu/eboots on the first 4gb of the stick, or partitioning the stick(gay... I know)

Shrygue
March 6th, 2007, 19:18
Hm, an 8 gigabye memory stick would be ace to have. I'd be able to stick all those good homebrew applications and musical tracks in one place.