PDA

View Full Version : Games 'make drivers go faster'

wraggster
March 2nd, 2007, 20:55
via bbc news (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6410061.stm)

More than a third of young drivers are more likely to go faster on the roads after playing on-screen driving games, a survey suggests.
And 27% of motorists aged 16 to 24 admitted more risk-taking on the road after a gaming session.

A thousand drivers were questioned on behalf of driving school BSM.

BSM's road safety consultant Robin Cummins said the results showed an 'indisputable' link between gaming and dangerous driving.

A quarter of drivers even said they imagine they are in a driving simulation game while driving for real - men are the worst offenders for this.

The poll also found that 34% of the 1,000 young drivers questioned think computer games can improve real-life driving ability, with two in five reckoning the games can help their reflexes.

The guy in front, the music on the stereo...those are the things that make you speed up

David Perry

The survey revealed that just over half of frequent game-players pass their driving test first time, compared with only 45% of those who only play games infrequently.

Mr Cummins said: "With more than 200 young people killed each year due to speeding alone, it's crucial that they learn to 'keep it real' on the road."

But the survey's findings have been rejected by the US-based games designer David Perry.

The multi-millionaire from Belfast, who is currently designing a driving video game, said behaviour was affected by how drivers felt while behind the wheel, not before they got in their car.

"Anything that affects your emotions will affect how you drive. The guy in front, the music on the stereo...those are the things that make you speed up, not a game you played an hour ago."

Veskgar
March 2nd, 2007, 21:08
Ridiculous!

Where will it end? Non-stop attack on video games by people just looking for any reason to put gaming in a negative light.

Now I will admit that after watching the movie "Fast and the Furious" I took my sports car for a nice speeding cruise, but playing a video game has never given me that urge.

So are we to attack movies with fast driving sequences also?

People who make this stuff up need to get a life.

Cap'n 1time
March 2nd, 2007, 21:14
Actually, I think this might be possible in some people. After playing fast paced video games for hours and hours, I dont find it unreasonable to find the surrounding real world annoyingly slow. Also It is likely the more realistic the video game the more effective this would be to "trick" your brain.

Hopefully you are able to snap out of it before doing something dangerous like driving though.

Stew2000
March 2nd, 2007, 23:51
The guy in front, the music on the stereo...those are the things that make you speed up

I did that today in my car.
Following a Mitsubishi FTO while listening to Fire Like This :rolleyes:
Although top speed was 60mph. :|

btw..
a game and real life driving are totally different. even if it's a "realistic" sim. nothin compares to how much brain power you need in a real car.

SSaxdude
March 3rd, 2007, 01:12
I will admit I am a pretty crazy (but oddly safe) driver.

But I remember seeing a study somewhere that said games can make you a better driver. And I remember seeing a story somewhere about a 8 year old boy who drove his moms car after she had a heart attack while driving. The kid learned how to drive from videogames.

kiariki
March 3rd, 2007, 03:05
I admit, after playing Mario, I do like to sorta... Jump with my arm up high... Like Mario does...

8O

woods05
March 3rd, 2007, 05:36
those percentages are not very high. What are they trying to prove again?

quzar
March 3rd, 2007, 06:16
All I know is when I pop in Americana/Crazy Taxi 2 soundtrack I get places faster =P

Xiofire
March 3rd, 2007, 14:38
Yeah, and the Wii makes yew more likely to be a Ninja.
When will they stop attacking gamers?
-Xiofire

Shilo
March 4th, 2007, 18:41
I agree that video games have the possibility to make you a better driver, but I don't think that they will make you speed.

bluebottle
March 4th, 2007, 19:21
I agree that video games have the possibility to make you a better driver, but I don't think that they will make you speed.

i have always thought that playing video games makes your reactions faster.:thumbup: