PDA

View Full Version : Gnirfleo DS Browser News

wraggster
March 3rd, 2007, 23:07
News from the makers of the Free Web Browser (http://gnirfleo.blogspot.com/)for the Nintendo DS:

Heres the newspost:

Yeah, I figured it would be time to give you an update...

Just to make (almost everybody happy): It will work on any card that uses DLDI.

I will also post a picture of the browser fully working soon. (Probably Monday).

Oh, and the last thing: There will be 4 different versions. They are somehow the same, but they differ in size. We don't know the exact sizes yet, but the difference is the amount of space that can be stored in the file. That is "to be honest" the only thing that's left to do here (and some parts of the interface, but that's not that important). The biggest file will probably have around 100 mb of space to store images, favorites, pages and maybe Flash in the future. If you don't have enough space on your Flash Card, you can always use a smaller one.

PS: I can't wait untill it gets released! I would love to hear your reactions, so we can expand it even more!

kcajblue
March 4th, 2007, 00:08
i cant wait for a release

Adrenalin
March 4th, 2007, 02:27
awesome news!

Xcliber
March 4th, 2007, 06:01
y has it been so long and hard to get a web browser on the NDS?
really looking forward to it!

DanTheManMS
March 4th, 2007, 08:06
Because writing a web browser isn't as easy as pressing a "lawl make teh browser NAO" button?

In any case, I hope he doesn't mean that the .nds file itself will be 100 MB. Because that would be about 96 MB too large for the DS to handle. If it's a random 100 MB file that a smaller .nds file accesses, then it's fine. But the .nds file must fit in the DS's RAM to begin with.

raging_bull
March 4th, 2007, 09:00
Don't wory, there are also comercial roms that are +100MB. Look at Final Fantasy DS.

Thay can also just like normale be loaded to the ds. Why wouldn't that work with homebrew?

Junixx
March 4th, 2007, 14:42
Don't wory, there are also comercial roms that are +100MB. Look at Final Fantasy DS.

Thay can also just like normale be loaded to the ds. Why wouldn't that work with homebrew?

The game is around 128 MB, but its not loaded into the flash RAM, which is only 4MB

Fou-Lu1510
March 4th, 2007, 18:39
Because writing a web browser isn't as easy as pressing a "lawl make teh browser NAO" button?

In any case, I hope he doesn't mean that the .nds file itself will be 100 MB. Because that would be about 96 MB too large for the DS to handle. If it's a random 100 MB file that a smaller .nds file accesses, then it's fine. But the .nds file must fit in the DS's RAM to begin with.

I'm sure that, as it's a browser for the DS, it will work on the DS.:p

DooMeh1
March 4th, 2007, 22:59
I cant wait for this release, literally, I (now that I know about it) have to have it. :p I hope this gets released on the 24'th like they said or sooner! (but unlikely sooner...)

Anyway, good job on making this! :thumbup:

thejonbell
March 5th, 2007, 20:58

lol, DS games arent in the MB you're thinking of.

DanTheManMS
March 5th, 2007, 23:16
How so? Commercial roms have indeed reached 128 Megabytes in size. The whole megabit-vs-megabyte thing was mostly used in the GBA era.

And official games contain a built-in filesystem that reads and writes parts of the game into RAM as necessary. Homebrew must load a <4 MB file first into RAM, which can then access the larger files on the media card. It cannot however load a 100 MB .nds file.

Surely you aren't suggesting that the DS loads the entirety of the FFDS game into RAM to begin with, right? Official games and homebrew games run in a similar fashion, but one simply has the filesystem embedded into a single file, we must use external files to accomplish the same task.

Tripsk8er333
March 6th, 2007, 18:27
since it supports DLDI, will we need a bottom memory expantion or will it just work with the slot-1 card alone? It would be cool if we just need a slot-1 card.

fkhan
March 6th, 2007, 19:00
since it supports DLDI, will we need a bottom memory expantion or will it just work with the slot-1 card alone? It would be cool if we just need a slot-1 card.

From what i can make out of the first post, it will just be 1 massive file for use on either Slot-1 or Slot-2.

DanTheManMS
March 6th, 2007, 21:55
DLDI really has nothing to do with that at all, but I believe they're aiming for a solution that does not require RAM in slot-2.

TeenDev
March 6th, 2007, 22:29
I command you to release it now!

Tripsk8er333
March 7th, 2007, 18:09
When do you think this Will be released? Will it support Flash games in the future? That would make this the ULTIMATE homebrew app if it could.:thumbup:

Do you think we will be able to Directly download stuff from the Browser the our card?:)

nick_stubbings
March 21st, 2007, 21:30
what? why dont people read the posts properly!
it says there will be up to 4 versions, one will be 100mb, for images, and bookmarks etc (a padded file?) i would think its either slot 1 or 2, because of the memory on the M3, it wont necessarily need a ram pack

nick_stubbings
March 21st, 2007, 21:30
sorry, that was a bit harsh...

Joel92
March 21st, 2007, 21:34
why did you just bump this post? that wasnt a good idea.

kcajblue
March 21st, 2007, 21:36
and dont double post.
thats also not a good idea

nick_stubbings
March 21st, 2007, 21:42
what? who bumped who? i was just pointing out that people seem to read what they want to read, and ignore the facts.

and when did i double post, and why wasnt it a good idea???

kcajblue
March 22nd, 2007, 00:37
you double posted when you said your other post was harsh.
do you have no common sense.
double = two
posting = posting
double posting = posting two times in a row.

its not a good idea becuase its against the rules.

DanTheManMS
March 22nd, 2007, 01:17
Personally, I wouldn't think heckling a newbie would be considered "a good idea" either, so I suggest we just drop the subject.

I'm hoping Gnirfleo is real here, but I won't be devastated if it turns out to be a fake.

souLLy
March 22nd, 2007, 10:11
the 100Mb file thing is what screams fake to me, why would it need a file that big? padding? that seems very dubious to me. Why waste space in such a pointless way, it supports DLDI supposedly so why not use FAT the way all other coders do?

add to that one dodgy looking photo of what looks like a finished browser and one made-in-two-minutes interface design.

There's been no talk on how it was coded, what toolsets, whether or not they use an existing rendering engine.

I call shenanigans on this. I'll fully admit I'm wrong if it turns out that way but I really woundn't get your hopes up at all.

tsimehC
March 22nd, 2007, 16:03
I agree with SouLLy. This DS browser sounds too good to be true. I hope I'm wrong.

kcajblue
March 22nd, 2007, 21:00
well. just wait two more days. 22nd here.

voteforpedro36
March 22nd, 2007, 23:48
I doubt someone would do all that just for a fake though... unless, of course, they were aiming at driving other people to try and beat them to getting an internet browser on the DS (Okiwi, which was released before it could connect, and DSO now having an internet browser?).

nick_stubbings
March 23rd, 2007, 19:21
i would say that the "padding" is so that data (bookmarks etc) can be saved to one file, might be a bit like DSQuake, the one with the shareware levels built in to the NDS file... its 20mb, and QuakeDS is only about 400k, but you need the PAK files...

i agree, i dont thinks its fake, but wasnt it supposed to be out today? (the 23rd? or was it the 24th?) either way it looks to be awesome...

sorry if anyone has asked this, but will it use the ram built into the M3?

Thanks Dan! :)

actually, im starting to have my doubts about how genuine this is... i hope im wrong...

x999x
March 24th, 2007, 19:10
Shenanigans

Jeremysr
March 24th, 2007, 21:51
The latest blog post has had about 400 comments posted TODAY... :O

Tripsk8er333
March 25th, 2007, 00:00
It is the 24th were is Gnirfleo? I have been reading his blog and he said it should be out tomarrow or Monday. So, We just have to wait and see. I hope it is real. :)

duelistXmist
March 25th, 2007, 03:28
It is the 24th were is Gnirfleo? I have been reading his blog and he said it should be out tomarrow or Monday. So, We just have to wait and see. I hope it is real. :)

no he said on his blog today thats its gonna be out tomorrow.

soldierblade2k5
March 25th, 2007, 23:37
There's no real way to know whether its fake or not, but after taking a look at the recent posts being made on his blog, I would be surprised if it ever gets released just out of spite and disgust. People are making some really cruel posts over there. Its kinda sad...

residentskitz
March 26th, 2007, 00:28
i was just checking out irc on dsorganize and somebody in the channel said they have found a bricker disguised as gnirfleo, so heads up.

Nnnnsic
March 26th, 2007, 05:00
Great. Just what we need.

It's kind of pathetic the responses that this is getting out of people... more like that he owes it to them.

I think reading the comments on his page has lowered my IQ.

sundayx
March 26th, 2007, 07:13
The people the bloggers page is so damn immature. However the browser was not released today. Confused

souLLy
March 26th, 2007, 07:30
I've been saying this was a fake for a few weeks now, believe me the only reason that site exists is for ad revenue. I've seen the same thing in the Dreamcast scene a dozen times before. Don't waste your energy getting mad and don't visit their site and help them get even more money from us.

lewis2b
March 26th, 2007, 12:30
Hi guys, i follow the project gnirfleo for several days, and create a chat with more than 30 people who have waiting to the fake...

1)on the blog of GNIRFLEO, all the adverts have been removed.:eek:

2)the file would have being published the 24 ht march
and gnirfleo found and excuse, more than 970 comments have been posted.

More than one joke one swindle ! (people that follow links of adversts give money to him)

Not only he removed publicities but it made of kinds that the comments cannot be posted any more in an anonymous way ...:mad:

I Think we will don't have to speak about gnirfleo till the 1st of april...

Believe me ...

kersplatty
March 26th, 2007, 19:00
Hi guys, i follow the project gnirfleo for several days, and create a chat with more than 30 people who have waiting to the fake...

1)on the blog of GNIRFLEO, all the adverts have been removed.:eek:

2)the file would have being published the 24 ht march
and gnirfleo found and excuse, more than 970 comments have been posted.

More than one joke one swindle ! (people that follow links of adversts give money to him)

Not only he removed publicities but it made of kinds that the comments cannot be posted any more in an anonymous way ...:mad:

I Think we will don't have to speak about gnirfleo till the 1st of april...

Believe me ...

how the hell is this fake using your evidence, it may be fake but your evidence for it being fake makes no sense whatsoever, if he removes ads it adds to credibility and if he stops anionymous comments maybe hes just being clever so anonymous comments dont **** up his site

fenrir26
March 27th, 2007, 03:18
I don't think it has to do with being clever unless stalling is what you are talking about. Anyone in their right mind can see he is.

All the time he took to post, delete comments and such he could have released this browser of his. I find it very hard to believe that there is anything at all from him except for more stalling. All you really have to do is take a look at his posts and you can see something fishy about it. Besides he is going on about the comments in his blog but he has brought it on with the way he dodges everyone.

If there is a legitimate reason for his actions he could easily post what it is and people would back off.

It would be nice if this is real (I was really looking forward to it as well) but as it stands he is wrecking his credibility with his posts. If this browser is done/real why hasn't he released specs, an alpha or anything? Or maybe posted this team of his thats been working on it and giving them some credit for all their hard work? What has he really given anyone to solidify that this is real? If you believe that a couple lousy web cam pictures which can be easily chopped is solid proof you are more jaded than him.

Stop wasting your breath and time on him, better off devoting your time to DM and DSOrganize or Okiwi. At least these two have kept everyone completely in the loop and have release solid proof that there is something. More DM than Okiwi but at least even Okiwi has given us something.

sundayx
March 27th, 2007, 09:36
I have no respect and interest in Gnirfleo anymore. Okiwi and DSOrganize is the way to go.

Kraton
March 27th, 2007, 14:51
I really waited for Gnirfleo but not anymore. Im sure okiwi is not fake >:I

mat128
March 28th, 2007, 12:54
It's never getting released :(

crookedmouth
March 29th, 2007, 00:56
As soon as he uploads Gnirfleo, I'll release PolybiusDS. A port of the Arcade game with sound. I'd upload it now but the file is a massive 1.3MB, who knows how long it would take! Possibly 10 seconds, maybe in a couple days.
Here's title screen. I'll release a youtube vid when I'm not so busy!

warning: May cause seizures! I've allready lost two testers. I removed the vid from youtube.

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6030/polybiusmq6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I'm obviously joking. I couldn't resist, and this is meant in good fun.If you don't get it, Google Polybius arcade game.
Nobody was physically hurt during this post.

kcajblue
March 29th, 2007, 01:49
this isnt the junk section.
so dont spam.

The_END
March 29th, 2007, 02:11
Release now, I'm begging you DSOrganize web broser sucks!

TeenDev
March 29th, 2007, 02:12
Release now, I'm begging you DSOrganize web broser sucks!

do you know how f___in hard it is to make a web browser? DSOrganize is the only working DS web browser that loads almost every site

crookedmouth
March 29th, 2007, 02:15
I was just trying to inject a bit of humor with an attempt at wit.I guess it didn't work.

trigger_ftu
March 29th, 2007, 02:49
actually he sead he'd only e-mail it to certian ppl as i do recall there are so many people giveing out they're e-mail's on the blog and alot of flaim

Junixx
March 29th, 2007, 03:02
It's fake, hes not sending anything to them, answer me this question:

Why spend all the time emailing it to people when he could upload it and prove everyone wrong

crookedmouth
March 29th, 2007, 05:04
So he can collect email accounts and send them to the harvesters?

Tegamal
March 29th, 2007, 13:13
Most likely, that's the case.