View Full Version : PSPAtari: Atari 800/130/5200 Emulator for PSP v1.0.7

zx-81
March 3rd, 2007, 23:49
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspatari-snap-7.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPAtari the emulator of Atari 800, 800XL,
130XE and 5200 series.

What's new in version 1.0.7 :

- A new graphical engine with new smoother render modes.
It uses now the PSP GU for rendering, it does not run faster,
but it's a lot smoother.
- Save state dates are displayed in the emulator window
(it's now easier to identify and to load the right save state slot)
- Bug fix (load default keyboard mapping on startup)

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

Sources are included, and this package is under the GNU public license,
read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Most of all my emulator ports are now using the GU, and
i don't plan to spam you with any updates for now.

Enjoy,

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Poem58
March 4th, 2007, 02:01
ZX...DA MAN....

Even when you say you are gonna take a rest you don't!!
Your insanity is our fortune!!!

Thanks for another must try release...try to take a REAL break for a couple of days!

zx-81
March 4th, 2007, 09:51
ZX...DA MAN....

Even when you say you are gonna take a rest you don't!!
Your insanity is our fortune!!!

Thanks for another must try release...try to take a REAL break for a couple of days!

My vacation ended, so i won't have enough spare time now, up to april :(

bah
March 4th, 2007, 09:54
i don't plan to spam you with any updates for now.

If only all 'spam' was like this. The term would have to be redefined to something far more positive. :)

valar
March 4th, 2007, 11:16
one of my best games for atari 800.bruce lee.what a gameplay...thanks for emu.

zx-81
March 4th, 2007, 11:24
If only all 'spam' was like this. The term would have to be redefined to something far more positive. :)

lol, yes, thanks :).

mightymuppet
March 4th, 2007, 15:00
Nice emulator.

There's a problem with the sound on a lot of games though(bristles especially).
It doesn't play right.

Hopefully that can be fixed eventually. Thanks for all the work on the various emus though.

classicgmr
March 7th, 2007, 11:49
I get "Unexpected End of Archive" when I try to unpack this.

zx-81
March 7th, 2007, 12:18
I get "Unexpected End of Archive" when I try to unpack this.

Weird, it works fine for me :eek:

c_h_r_i_s
July 6th, 2007, 21:25
Many thanks for this beautiful PSP emulator/port!

Mightymuppet already did what I came here for: To 'complain' about the sound emulation.
One of my favourite noises in video game history is the Atari 5200 Pac-Man starting jingle.
Unfortunately, on my PSP there's a ringing to be heard instead of the bass, I think, that's supposed to be there.
Maybe the sound emulation does not support all frequencies. It sounds like a wrap around from lower frequencies to be falsely mapped to high ones. But I'm just speculating.
I greatly appreciate your work and would do so even more if you could fix that.

Thank you!
Chris

zx-81
July 7th, 2007, 08:25
the sound is a bit crappy, you're right :( ...

JLsoft
August 13th, 2007, 13:18
*Ancient bump*

Yay! Okay, after a lot of random trial and error, I've found a simple but unreliable way of getting the emulator into a state where the sound doesn't crackle or clip during certain noises. If I find an easier, less random way of doing this, I'll make sure to post a followup :)

- Grab http://www.madcowdisease.org/~jlsoft/junk/nemesis.zip

- Unpack, and place the NEMESIS.BIN into your \pspatari\roms\ directory

- Start up PSPAtari, Load ROM, select NEMESIS.BIN

- Go to Keyboard in the main menu, and bind a key to 'CSTART'...I suggest RTrigger (just hit left once)

- Hit Select to go back to the main menu, and then Select again to go Back to ATARI

1 - The demo will play...press the key you bound to CSTART...there's a voice sample that stutters the word 'Nemesis' several times, followed by a 'ping' sound when a sparkle appears in the snake's eye (stay with me here :P)

2 - What you need to do is press *Select* (on the PSP) to go back to the emulator menu right *BEFORE* that ping happens and the sparkle is drawn, during the last 'sssss' part of the last time 'Nemesis' is said.

3 - Select Atari800 menu, go down to Sound Settings, hit () to enter that menu, and use () to toggle the 'High Fidelity POKEY' setting (it doesn't matter which value it is on). Press () again and the emulator will reboot the Atari.

4 - Hit Select, Load ROM, pick NEMESIS.BIN again, and run it.

5 - If the sound is still clipping (sometimes even worse), just repeat the process from step 1 above until you've timed it right...you need to pause the emulator right between the ending of 'Nemesis' being said, and the 'ping' sound, and then toggle High Fidelity POKEY & reset the emulation.

6 - If you were lucky and the timing was right, there shouldn't be any sound crackling/buzzing/clipping (or very very little during some loud or high-pitched sounds), and PSPAtari will sound great, unlike before :)

* - Go ahead and load any other game/demo/etc, and it should sound perfect :P

- Have fun!

[ Thank you zx-81, this is one of the main reasons I wanted the system :) ]

zx-81
August 13th, 2007, 13:46
thanks for the hint ! :)

Long
September 17th, 2007, 21:21
help please, i'm on 3.40 OE-A, and
ATARI800 psp randomly freezes in rom list or 100% when i try to run any game. it freezes about a half minute then just turn console off!
-no special skins/plugins
-ATARI800 in game150 install correctly
-roms *.bin and *.A52 from "good set"
-2 gb magicGate memstick pro duo and n/p with other games and emu's

zx-81
September 17th, 2007, 22:06
you can try to split your roms in several subfolders ...

but i will release a new version very soon, may be the bug won't appear anymore.

Long
September 17th, 2007, 22:22
you can try to split your roms in several subfolders ...

but i will release a new version very soon, may be the bug won't appear anymore.

sorry,but I tried this in first of all, but no changes...

let's rock! new version - it sounds cool!:thumbup:
i like your emu's and look for news very oftenly.

zx-81
September 17th, 2007, 22:26
you can also try the version of uberjack (atari 800), graphics are much better than mine, and it's may be faster.

Long
September 18th, 2007, 12:14
today i tried Uberjack's version again - its not much better and i don't like how its made. so, i'm waiting new Zx-81's version.

and , Zx-81, answer one question,please - is it possible for you to make one emulator for 2600, 5200, 7200 with autodetect rom image? it would be megahit!

zx-81
September 18th, 2007, 12:36
today i tried Uberjack's version again - its not much better and i don't like how its made. so, i'm waiting new Zx-81's version.

I will release it very soon :).

and , Zx-81, answer one question,please - is it possible for you to make one emulator for 2600, 5200, 7200 with autodetect rom image? it would be megahit!

It's a bit hard to do, the best would be to have a kind of file that gives directly the good settings for all roms (given a signature of a rom, it provides the good atari model and cartridge types etc ...)

Long
September 21st, 2007, 20:02
I will release it very soon :).

i'm look in this topic every day, so post here please when you make this release. i be waiting
----------------
sorry bad english
from Russia with love (c) :D

steve520
September 21st, 2007, 20:07
ZX i tested you other emulators onn the slim i sent u an email with the screenshots.

zx-81
September 21st, 2007, 20:54
i'm look in this topic every day, so post here please when you make this release. i be waiting
----------------
sorry bad english
from Russia with love (c) :D

It might be a bit longer than expected, because i spent a little time on it, and i succeed to make it run at fullspeed with 222Mhz, i've also added IR keyboard stuff as well etc ... ;)

zx-81
September 21st, 2007, 20:56
ZX i tested you other emulators onn the slim i sent u an email with the screenshots.

I haven't received any email yet :( ...

Long
September 29th, 2007, 10:25
It might be a bit longer than expected, because i spent a little time on it, and i succeed to make it run at fullspeed with 222Mhz, i've also added IR keyboard stuff as well etc ... ;)
full speed at 222Mhz?:thumbup:
woooooo hooooo!!!:)

zx-81
September 29th, 2007, 11:22
full speed at 222Mhz?:thumbup:
woooooo hooooo!!!:)

Oops. Sorry, i made a mistake, i was speaking about MSX (Uberjack also has done his own version, that's why i was confused), I haven't spent time on atari 800 / 5200 for the moment, but only on MSX and CPC amstrad (a new version is coming for the both) :D

Long
October 2nd, 2007, 20:23
ZX-81, so, whatta current status of ATARI5200 -
1.07 ? this one is newest?
its not very comfortable to look for this stuff.. in forums..

zx-81
October 2nd, 2007, 20:51
ZX-81, so, whatta current status of ATARI5200 - 1.07 ? this one is newest?
its not very comfortable to look for this stuff.. in forums..

I'm not working on atari 800/5200 emu for now. If you want a new release, you may try the Uberjack version : http://psp.akop.org/atari800/

I will do a release soon i hope.