PDA

View Full Version : Tomtom on psp?

hodgy47
March 4th, 2007, 02:32
It may have been tried already but would this be possible i can give you the nav software and a link to the source code, i would get the source code myself but i am no coder and would probably get the wrong thing, if you think its possible let me know and i will supply whats needed

Kichigai Mentat
March 4th, 2007, 06:29
TomTom firmware is closed-source, and distributing modified versions of it would likely be illegal. You could play with OpenTom, an open source firmware for TomTom, though. But there are some major problems with what you're proposing.

First, I think the TomTom runs on the ARM architecture. The PSP, like the PS2 before it, uses MIPS. Second, the GPS unit for the PSP interfaces with the console in a completely different way from how the TomTom's internal GPS unit works.

Then there's the TomTom's touch-screen. You'd have to code in some kind of cursor for tapping.

Tons of work. Probably better holding out hope for MapIt or whatever the homebrew mapping software is. After all, it already works, it's mostly tweaks and improvements at this point.

hodgy47
March 4th, 2007, 10:50
OK i see i was just hunting around last night for ideas and tom tom had a page on their site with all of their source codes on and the touch screen good point never thought about that, could you port the maps over into the homebrew gps software or is a long shot too.

-EDIT-

Just read the thread about porting windows mobile if this comes off then you just use tomtom for windows mobile cos i have that on my pocket pc that would be good.

psiko_scweek
March 4th, 2007, 15:19
map this works just the same way, its a GPS software. Its impossbile to port something such as TomTom to the PSP unless the coders of TomTom would do it themselves, but missing the touchscreen and such it wouldnt be useful. just use MapThis instead it works great.

hodgy47
March 4th, 2007, 16:29
Will do thanks for honest replys.