PDA

View Full Version : Games ‘n’ Music - New Mass Market Homebrew Device for Nintendo DS

wraggster
March 4th, 2007, 10:23
http://us.codejunkies.com/images/article_images/images/GamesNMusicBoxforweb.jpg
Datel have finally released their Games ‘n’ Music DS Card thats the first Nintendo DS Homebrew Supporting Cartridge thats under £20 and comes with a 128mb Micro SD Memory Card and also a CD of the best in Nintendo DS Homebrew (http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk), some games included are Bingo games which are extremely popular these days, Heart Bingo (https://bingo-promo.codes/) is a good online example of a Bingo game.

Heres the full info:
Home brew games and music on the move with your DS!

With Games ‘n’ Music, you can put your Nintendo DS or DS Lite at the centre of your digital lifestyle. You can use it to launch home brew games written for the DS and readily available on the internet, listen to your happening sounds with the device’s integrated MP3 player or even watch videos. And you don’t need to modify your console to use it…

Games ‘n’ Music comes with a 128MB Micro SD card for you to store your games and data, and if that’s not enough, just slip in a new card and expand its capacity to up to 2GB. It’s really easy to use too. Just fit the Micro SD card into the USB adapter (supplied), plug it into your computer and drag and drop your files onto the card. It’s that easy!

Games ‘n’ Music contains everything you need straight out of the box. It even comes bundled with a 25-game CD, offering some of the best games the DS home brew scene has to offer, as well as a video conversion program for your PC (Windows XP or later required) to convert your movies and video clips to a format you can play back with Games ‘n’ Music. It’s the ultimate in digital entertainment!

As a webmaster of one of the biggest DS Homebrew websites on the net im pleased to see that companys are taking an effort into introducing DS Homebrew to the mainstream with a cheap device bundled with games and memory card.

HOT News

Today has also seen the release of a new Homebrew Launcher for the Wii pack from Datel, full details HERE (http://wii-news.dcemu.co.uk/sd-media-launcher-1-gig-for-nintendo-wii-gamecube-released-54838.html)

basilb
March 4th, 2007, 11:34
I hope they got permission to use the homebrew apps they put on CD

tamper
March 4th, 2007, 12:41
This could prove popular - I guess someone better start writing a DLDI patch for it now :)

basilb
March 4th, 2007, 13:49
lol i read up on this, its been recalled once already in usa, apperently one of the games on there, doublons i think it was, had 'inappropriate' images on it.

royvedas
March 4th, 2007, 14:06
include a 128 mb sd?. Why not just NOT include an sd and lower the price and let people decide for themselves. Who would want such a puny sd? Straight to the trashcan I tells ya'.

masterpaul
March 4th, 2007, 14:45
I ordered it.

acn010
March 4th, 2007, 14:49
include a 128 mb sd?. Why not just NOT include an sd and lower the price and let people decide for themselves. Who would want such a puny sd? Straight to the trashcan I tells ya'.

for those people cant afford an sdcard, and besides it is way cheap and also its upgradable to 2GB memory, its pretty reasonable , am i right?

acn010
March 4th, 2007, 15:48
oh yeah? next time make sure you double post....
and welcome to the forum nibbles27

residentskitz
March 4th, 2007, 17:32
Hopefully Datel has got their act together with this slot-1 card. I should be getting my R4 later this week, but ill be watching reviews of this card to see how it works, and if i can convince my friends without cards that all it takes is a trip to wal-mart.

When i first got my ds lite this last September, i went straight over to gamestop and got a Datel Max Media Dock. very few homebrew games worked, and the ones that did had to have the clock set to 0:00. not many dumps worked with the Max Overload tool either, and on the box it even said it supported .gba homebrew, which is an outright lie. and also, the usb dongle that came with it didnt work with my computer, so i had to physically take out the CF card (which required taking out a screw!) and plug it into a card reader each time. but the thing that sucked the most was how big it is.

i ended up returning it after 2 days, which was before the DLDI support for it came out, so i dont know how well homebrew works on it now.

And somebody mentioned earlier about piracy and everything. I can tell you the state of my Datel Max Media Dock when i got it. it came with a crappy cd with an outdated version of moonshell on it. the cd itself said that it was an outdated version and you should download the new version. dumps didnt work on it, so technically this is a form of protection against piracy, but there is a patcher available with not very good compatibility.

SO! dumps probably wont work on this card until a patcher is made. but who knows. somebody should write a review, please , thanks.

crookedmouth
March 4th, 2007, 17:47
The Games and Music doesn't support DS Roms(as of now) "out of the box" , so it's not a very good pirating tool, and by "not very good" I mean not at all. Until this thing gets DLDI support, I'll stick with my clunky but lovable MMD. :)

michwu
March 4th, 2007, 18:17
The Datel packaging is suspiciously similar to the M3 Simply packaging (a different cardboard insert and a slightly different shape in the very center (a circle instead of a triangle). The M3 is of course just a re-packaged R4.

My guess is Datel is also re-packaging the R4, with some firmware modifications to prevent cart ROM usage. Just a guess...

masterpaul
March 4th, 2007, 19:25
cancelled my order

jester13
March 4th, 2007, 19:25
So it cant play ROMs right?

voteforpedro36
March 4th, 2007, 21:15
So it cant play ROMs right?

Nope. Not yet.

And anway, is it available anywhere but over the internet? That'd be real cool if it was. :thumbup:

directive0
March 4th, 2007, 21:28
Personally I don't think its really that bad that Datel is offering this product without the ability to boot backup roms. If home brew seeks to legitimize itself and get it out in front of a wide audience it needs to keep possible piracy at an arms length. If people out there see that theres a possibility that a wide audience, not just the more tech savvy, will benefit from their efforts then they will be more likely to want to experiment and produce software wouldn't they? Everybody wins! Besides there are plenty of companies offering excellent backup playing carts :P

nnever
March 4th, 2007, 21:48
To me it's just another add-on amongst the endless array of add-ons for DS...

souLLy
March 4th, 2007, 22:40
As an entry into homebrew, I think it's fantastic. Including a small SD card already for under £20... excellent stuff.

acn010
March 4th, 2007, 22:46
As an entry into homebrew, I think it's fantastic. Including a small SD card already for under £20... excellent stuff.

i agree with you

Carn
March 4th, 2007, 23:13
I won't be switching this with my MMD. I've seen a lot of people gripe about the MMD but it's actually really nice. I'd say 3/5 games I try work for it and easy-to-convert movie access is very nice too. Of course it's not the best out there but it's a nice and affordable way to go...at least for me. Unless they really show something unique with this my MMD will do just fine.

Oh and it isn't THAT big...unless you're playing it on the Lite then it sticks out a bit.

crookedmouth
March 5th, 2007, 01:40

If it came out of the box with DLDI support I'd agree with you. The people who own this arn't having a ton of luck with them yet.We'll see.

TeenDev
March 5th, 2007, 21:40
wow the GnM has become big news

asdsdffgg
March 21st, 2007, 18:50
i downloaded nesterds which i downloaded from http://dl.qj.net/NesterDS-v0.3-Nintendo-DS-Emulators/pg/12/fid/11429/catid/233
and it works perfectly instructions come with download

EVILMARIO23
March 25th, 2007, 18:09
i think its an excellent product, its really easy to use and its cheap... When it has DLDI support, itll be awsome

EVILMARIO23
March 26th, 2007, 18:13
i downloaded nesterds which i downloaded from http://dl.qj.net/NesterDS-v0.3-Nintendo-DS-Emulators/pg/12/fid/11429/catid/233
and it works perfectly instructions come with download

HOW DID YOU GET IT WORKING ON YOUR G'N'M? IM A NOOB AT THIS STUFF :( .... CAN YOU TELL ME?

asdsdffgg
March 27th, 2007, 10:33
hi mate just download files via link ,
once youve done this put nester in your game folder on GNM,
then start rom inserter you have to have a NES rom first,
then put the converted file in game folder on gnm and click on the game not nester to load from gnm.

hope this helps theres instruction with the download as well if you get stuck. :thumbup: :)

EVILMARIO23
March 29th, 2007, 20:24
thnx m8

EVILMARIO23
March 29th, 2007, 20:31
can everyone here do me a favour... if you can get any type of emulator working on the games n music can you post it telling us it works. with a link pleaase. thanks.

sshadow5001
April 2nd, 2007, 12:50
need emulators!!!

please

EVILMARIO23
April 2nd, 2007, 21:56
i got snesds to work

Guydo
April 29th, 2007, 00:23
I have one of those. It's pretty sweet but the micro sd card won't stay in the adapter. So, I tape it down. It works fine now. But, don't blow your money on it if it doesn't work.:thumbup:

Retardedcow2000
May 1st, 2007, 01:13
I'm a bit confused... Datel was able to make this flash cart but why can't it support large DS Roms? What if someone wanted to make a DS game that exceeded 50MB? And another question: Arn't commercial DS Roms the same file format and setup of homebrew?

Johresa8
May 20th, 2007, 20:29
Hi Newby here so hello to everyone.

I recently bought the Games 'n' Music card which came with a 128mg card and preloaded with homebrew, video file and empty music folder. I can add to this card with all the 3 formats and all play ok, but it as limited space. So I have bought a Kington 1gb card in view of adding MP3 and Video files. Now the problem... I can load the card with the original files but cannot get the Games 'n' music cart to recognise them, it just says Cannot find files..! I have added them the same way as on the original card.
I have wrote to Datel who just prompted me to format the new card as FAT as that would solve the problem. I did this but it still wont recognise any files that i put on the card. Thinking that I might have just got a bad Micro card I bought another 1gbcard, this also cannot be recognised. Any ideas? it's driving me mad. Would I be better to cut my losses and try a M3 or someother type of card?

Thanks

mik3y08
May 21st, 2007, 01:14
:eek: yea im an idiot, and w/ out doing much research bought datels sorry excuse for a media device/homebrew player, and now im stuck!!!! :mad:
Anyway since I am now stuck w/ this crappy device, and can't order anything different off the internet I have a few questions:

1) ok im kinda new to the whole DS homebrew scene, but i am led to understand that Datels games n' music has no DLDI (i think thats wht its called), well my question is what are the chances of a DLDI driver being made for this? and if there is a chance, how long will it be b4 one is made? :confused:

2) And my second qeustion is if a DLDI is made for this, will that allow me to play backed up commercial roms on my DS?

DanTheManMS
May 21st, 2007, 01:52
1. It depends whether any major homebrew developer who has the skills to make a DLDI file can get a hold of one of the devices and has the time and energy to reverse engineer it. Or we could wait until Datel releases information regarding filesystem access like they promised months ago, which would be substantially less work. Without the specs, it's unlikely someone will spend enough time to create a DLDI file for the device.

2. DLDI will not help in that respect, sorry.

mik3y08
May 21st, 2007, 05:10
so that means there is no chance of ever playing backed up roms w/ it?

DanTheManMS
May 21st, 2007, 05:25
I wouldn't count on it.

I'd also make sure to read the forum rules, as technically we are not to be discussing roms at all.

crowseed
May 21st, 2007, 12:24
I've got the problem that a 1GB card isn't recognised as well. I've formatted it as FAT. Has anyone managed to get a 1GB card to work? I was really looking forward to carrying my videos around with me.

The card itself is great for simple homebrew. I make games myself and it's dead easy for that. Simple mini-games rather than anything you need to save. I think that's the sort of games they mean you to play on this. Which is fine.

Johresa8
May 21st, 2007, 19:05
I've got the problem that a 1GB card isn't recognised as well. I've formatted it as FAT. Has anyone managed to get a 1GB card to work? I was really looking forward to carrying my videos around with me.

The card itself is great for simple homebrew. I make games myself and it's dead easy for that. Simple mini-games rather than anything you need to save. I think that's the sort of games they mean you to play on this. Which is fine.

I contacted Datel and to date they wrote back twice now. The first time to ask if would format the card to FAT and try that,.. I told them that it did not work after doing that. Today I have just recieved two emails from them asking where had bought the GnM from "was it English over Japanese" to which I have just replied all in English. And a second email asking the same question about the Micro sd card. I told them that it was a Kington 1gb card in English. I also bought another card at the weekend a Toshiba 1gb card thinking that I might have a bad card with the first one, but this did not work either and have told them that it was also all in English. I have problem loading the cards up but putting it into the GnM I get the message "No Media files Found", I know that the MP3 files work as I have tried them in my Nintendo MP3 player and they are perfect. The sizes of all the files are all the same on all three cards.. I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

crowseed
May 21st, 2007, 22:01
Yeah mine's a 1GB Kingston too. I don't know what the problem is either. I get the same message as you - no media found.

When I had to reformat my DS-X I had to do it in a 2.0 USB hub as it didn't work in a 1.1 (instructions on the website). I'm pretty sure I've tried reformatting this one in both a 2.0 and a 1.1. I think the problem is maybe with the firmware, so hopefully they'll release an update. I heard they were going to release an update for dldi support. Haven't heard an official statement to that effect though.

I really like the video converter for Games n Music. Every video has converted perfectly. I used to have a nightmare trying to convert them for Moonshell lol.

This is an interesting post:
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/04/1325216

Johresa8
May 21st, 2007, 22:25
I'll have to wait and see what they come up with tomorrow if they answer back, although it must have wondering about it to send two mails, asking where I had bought them from or what stock they are.

You are right about the video converter, very easy now. I'm totally new to this whole homebrew and video converting so it'sall a steep learning curve.

I also had a problem with the GnM cartridge after the first few hours, the micro card would not stay in it, I think something had broke inside. So I took it apart to see if I could fix it, but there was nothing to fix, but a few pushes around the micro card holder made it so it stayed in without the click in and out

crowseed
May 22nd, 2007, 11:50
Apparently with some other homebrew cards you need to do a quick format to FAT rather than a full one. I'll give this a try when I get home tonight.

Johresa8
May 22nd, 2007, 17:46
I await your results. I have heard nothing from Datel as yet.

EVILMARIO23
May 22nd, 2007, 19:15
i also had the same problem with the micro sd not staaying in!! i put a tape over it and it works fine now

Johresa8
May 22nd, 2007, 19:57
I found that taping it was not good enough it was still trying to bounce out, so opened itand just lifted a few of the (what i can describe as springs) then pressed them in a bit the lifted the front of the micro sd card holder a bit and now for some reason it just slides in, no click in and out but I can live with that, i put it back together using paper glue (Pritt Stick) as it will be easier to pull apart again if it goes wrong again.

Johresa8
May 22nd, 2007, 19:59
have you managed to put any larger Micro sd card in yet?

crowseed
May 22nd, 2007, 20:28
Nah. The quick format thing didn't work. I also haven't heard back from Datel and I emailed them Sunday. You can actually fit a stack on 128MB but I want more!

Johresa8
May 22nd, 2007, 20:49
same here ... I want the space so I have a complete selection of games, Videos and MP3 files for when we go on holiday to while away the hours, I'm just wondering if a 128mb bought over the counter might work. I'll have to see if I can nip into a electrical shop and get one.

crowseed
May 22nd, 2007, 21:08
Yeah that'd be interesting - then we'd know whether it's a size thing.

crowseed
May 23rd, 2007, 20:43
Heard from Datel today. I think the problem is that I imported the micro sd from China. Considering they're like a fiver or something these days for a gig I'll just buy another.

Johresa8
May 23rd, 2007, 21:24
both my 1gb cards were bought from a shop in town, and different shops at that, so how will they answer that one. One Kington and the other Toshiba.

crowseed
May 24th, 2007, 15:24
Oh right yeah, forgot about that. You sure they weren't imports?

Johresa8
May 24th, 2007, 19:14
I have just had a email from Datel now asking for the serial numbers of the cards and from what I can see on them they both say Japan. At least they seem to be interested at getting to the bottom of the problem. Just hope they can come up with something.

crowseed
May 25th, 2007, 11:22
They've told me they're going to do some tests and get back to me. Anyone know a 1GB or 2GB microSD that works with Games n Music?

Johresa8
May 29th, 2007, 17:59
I have no mail from Datel today, maybe they are getting bombarded now with Mails about GnM and not being able to put bigger cards in it. I may cut and run and order the M3 card.

BTW I have not tried to put another smaller card in it yet.

crowseed
May 29th, 2007, 18:27
My local dealer has said when he gets a 1GB card in I can test it before I buy it to check it works. Should be able to feed back by Saturday.

I asked Datel if they cuold recommend a card that definitely worked with G n M. They said Kingston was the only one they were aware of that didn't work, but didn't go so far as to name one that did.

I saw on a forum last night, can't remember where, that Datel were going to release the G n M source code so it could be added to DLDI, but then they hadn't got round to sending it. Promising if true.

I've got a DS-X as well, so I'm going to stick with G n M for now as the video is so good on it.

Johresa8
May 29th, 2007, 20:10
you lost me there .. The G n M is my first adventure into homebrew so DLDI went straight over the top of head. I just want something out of the packet and to work. So far I have managed to put small video files on the GnM of my Grandkids just to amaze them, but would like to back up some of my DVDs to take with us on holiday but that looks ike it will have to wait till i get some answers.

Avisamo
May 29th, 2007, 23:06
Has anyone found anything that works for this yet? All i can get to work on it is the MP3 player and the games that were on the CD that came with it. None of the roms or even moonshell and other OSs seem to work on it.

EDIT: The 3 programs im really looking for are internet, AAC player, and AIM

Johresa8
May 30th, 2007, 06:19
I have managed to download a few more roms that work without problems, I have also downloaded a few that do not work so it seems hit and miss so far, I wanted Doom and Quake but so far I have not been able to get them to work, The shell of Doom loads up but cannot find the wad file that I also downloaded from the official site (Demo
) even though I have put them all in the same folder.
As for the programmes that you mention I've not tried them.

crowseed
May 30th, 2007, 09:32
The DLDI is all about the Games n Music being able to read from files and write to them. So if there are extra files needed for the NDS to run, it won't work - at the moment (this is why your Doom and Quake wouldn't work). I'm sure this will change. Datel could release the information about the GnM to the homebrewers that would enable them to support the file system.

So you can run (most) homebrew that doesn't need to read or write from a file. The only way to know whether each game/app will work is to try it though! Weirdly, not all the ones on the supplied disk worked for me! But tons of others I've downloaded have, including my own Penguin football http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64752

Avisamo, I wonder whether different DS firmware makes a difference. It's weird that nothing's working on yours.

Johresa8
May 30th, 2007, 20:31
Hi
Downloaded your Penguin football and it works a treat, excellent little programme. My first try I got 26 points so as you can see I will have to try a lot harder, the lads at work will have fun playing that one.

Heard from Datel today asking If I would send the cards and unit for them to test, so thats good of them and they said they would replace with cards that they use and the unit if they found it to be faulty.

crowseed
May 30th, 2007, 20:37
Cheers. I actually found a bug where the red penguin was kicking the ball around even when he wasn't supposed to be there, so I fixed that and uploaded it again http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=3072&forum=9

I found a really thorough database of homebrew at http://www.moddz.com/index.php?n=modules/homebrew

Hopefully you'll find a thing or two there.

Great news from Datel. Keep us updated!

NickTheBlitz615
May 31st, 2007, 07:27
I have a question:

Basically, GnM uses the same software as MAX Media Player, which has a DLDI driver made for it. Wouldn`t that DLDI work with GnM also?

DanTheManMS
May 31st, 2007, 07:32
They're completely different devices, so you can't just use the DLDI file like that, unfortunately. You're going from CF to microSD, and from slot-2 to slot-1, so there's no way the DLDI file would remain unchanged.

NickTheBlitz615
May 31st, 2007, 07:41
Got a point there. Darn.. I just wish I could use this thing better!

nitrofreak06
May 31st, 2007, 22:46
So there is still know way of play ds roms on this thing...??

DanTheManMS
May 31st, 2007, 23:48
No, there is no way.

NickTheBlitz615
June 1st, 2007, 00:11
So there is still know way of play ds roms on this thing...??

No, but we can play the wifi demos on it. I`d give a link to the wiki, but I`m not sure it`s allowed. I mean, they are demos, so they were meant to be free and distributed, but some people could still see it as piracy.

acidrain
June 2nd, 2007, 01:07
who cares... just give the link... the more we learn about it the better, im gona try to see wich apps work and maybe make a list, oh by the way DSHobro Browser Alpha works!!! unbelivable... that a web browser works on it... anyway it works heres the link:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58368

EDIT: BeUP works on it

NinjaDS DLDI works!! on some things!!! i know it sounds crazy but try it!! try it on Beup and see for yourself
and try it on comicbook DS

heres where to get them the DLDI and patcher:
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

i think that NEO FLash might work on it too... not sure yet, just trying everything out with the ninjads dldi for now...

DSOrganizer if patched with the NEO Flash MK2 & MK3 DLDI

NickTheBlitz615
June 2nd, 2007, 07:34
Fine. Here`s the link where you can find all of the DS wifi demos. Mods, if this is against the rules, don`t ban me, just edit the post! D:

http://wiki.akkit.org/Downloadable_DS_Demos

acidrain, have you tried SNEmulDS or something yet?

redragon753
June 2nd, 2007, 07:56
What do you mean by "ninjads dldi works!!! ON SOME THINGS!!!"?

NickTheBlitz615
June 2nd, 2007, 08:26
I tried patching SNEmulDS with ninjads and NEO Flash MK2 & 3, neither work. Er, it works, but it can`t find ROMs.

DanTheManMS
June 2nd, 2007, 22:48
Your only option for SNES emulation on the DS with the GnM card would be to use SNES DS with small games. See my "quickstart slot-1" instructions at http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_DS

acidrain
June 3rd, 2007, 06:59
no i have not tryed many emulators i dont have much time over the weekends but when i have more time i will test more stuff out

airampoa
June 3rd, 2007, 16:56
who cares... just give the link... the more we learn about it the better, im gona try to see wich apps work and maybe make a list, oh by the way DSHobro Browser Alpha works!!! unbelivable... that a web browser works on it... anyway it works heres the link:

NinjaDS DLDI works!! on some things!!! i know it sounds crazy but try it!! try it on Beup and see for yourself

i think that NEO FLash might work on it too... not sure yet, just trying everything out with the ninjads dldi for now...

DSOrganizer if patched with the NEO Flash MK2 & MK3 DLDI
I've tried to patching ComicBookDS and DSOrganize as you recommended and had absolutely no success

acidrain
June 4th, 2007, 18:09
DS ORaganize does not work...idk why it did earlyer..., but comicbookDS should work, at least it does with me, maybe ill put up a video

Johresa8
June 4th, 2007, 19:56
My Latest news on the GnM card is that Datel wrote back to me again today and asked if I would be willing to swap my two 1GB cards (Kingston and Toshiba) for theirs that do work with the GnM card. I had already told them that I had invalidated any warranty on the unit as I had opened it up to see why the Micro sd card would not click and stay in (it still does not click in and out), anyway somehow I got it working where the Micro sd stayed in enough for it to be read.

So all in all I am very happy with the very good response from Datel.

crowseed
June 4th, 2007, 21:13
Nice one Joh. Can you let us know the make of the ones that work pls?

Johresa8
June 4th, 2007, 22:44
Will do.

I just need a response from Datel to see what they want me to do, if they need the unit and cards or just the cards that do not work with the unit. But the signs from Datel are positive that there is a problem with certain cards. It will also help them to be able to issue a footnote to their product about which sort of cards can be used, when wanting to expand it's memory.

John

redragon753
June 5th, 2007, 02:09
Well, I know for a fact, SanDisk cards work, and suprisingly, 1GB is actually alot of space

Johresa8
June 5th, 2007, 06:23
Well, I know for a fact, SanDisk cards work, and suprisingly, 1GB is actually alot of space

Thanks for that, at least we know that some "off the shelf" products work with it. :thumbup:

1GB sounds a lot and may seem so when just putting homebrew games on it. But once you start putting MP3 and Video files it will soon use that space up.

herojoe
June 5th, 2007, 20:04
What would have to be done to the MAX media dock in order for it to play DS roms?

Johresa8
June 6th, 2007, 20:16
Nice one Joh. Can you let us know the make of the ones that work pls?

Further to my last mail, I can now confirm that Datel have asked me to return the MicroSD cards that I bought. So I have just put them in the post and now wait to see what comes back from them.. The post does not mention the GnM card which the click is not working now, but since I was above board with them and told them that I had adapted it to work I dont think that they would have had that back, although they did ask what I had actually done with it. I told them I had prised it apart to see if I could 'fix' it but at least it is working now with the 128mb card.

Crowley
June 7th, 2007, 01:44
can somone be a hero of mine, if somone can make one these EXCEPT make GBA games playable?? that would really make my day, when you do, e-mail it to [email protected], thatnks alot!!

-Crowley

DanTheManMS
June 7th, 2007, 02:32
...that was a joke, right? There is no slot-1 device that can run GBA games natively. None.

fook123
June 12th, 2007, 20:34

DSOrganizer if patched with the NEO Flash MK2 & MK3 DLDIso were do i put the DLDI file to get the games to work, and will this make doom quake and dukenukem ds work?

airampoa
June 13th, 2007, 01:03
I just got a 1 GB San Disk card and it seems to work fine. Files show up, plays videos and games.

Johresa8
June 13th, 2007, 04:59
I just got a 1 GB San Disk card and it seems to work fine. Files show up, plays videos and games.

Thanks for that.

I sent my two 1GB gards to Datel as per their instructions (they were going to replace them) last week. I'm still waiting for something to come back from them.:(

ButtercupSaiyan
June 15th, 2007, 12:18
I am completely new to these forums, brought here by Google. I have been following the discussions avidly, hoping for some kind of solution.

I really got Games 'n Music so that I could read text files on my DS with a homebrew app, but I can't get Moonshell or DS Organize to work on it no matter what.

Also, someone else said their "click" broke ... it happened to me just yesterday, now I have to use a piece of tape too.

Is there ANYTHING to read text files/pdfs/wordpad/whatever I convert to that has text on the DS? I really want to be able to read my e-books on the go ...

Homerun
June 15th, 2007, 17:09
I returned mine and my 1 GB Micro SD I bought for it and got the Max Media Dock

Johresa8
June 16th, 2007, 06:10
How Long did it take them to reach a decision and replace your GnM and card? I sent my cards to them 10 days ago and am still waiting there return. I was hoping to have 1GB cards that worked, so I could load a few extra MP3's on it for my Holiday next week

Johresa8
July 1st, 2007, 07:44
Happy ending to my saga. I returned my two 1GB cards to Datel, and after numerous mails between myself and datel they have returned my original two cards and sent me a new GnM unit which as updated software. And I can now confirm that my two 1GB cards do now work perfectly.

JahnBodah
July 3rd, 2007, 16:24
Hey, Just sent datel an email, just thought you might want to know...
...Ill let you know the response

Hello, I Purchased your games and music device and I really enjoy it!

I have a couple of reasons for emailing you though.

I seem to have lost the microsd USB adapter, I was wondering if I could get a replacement and how much it would cost.

Also, when I Insert the MicroSD card into the NDS cartridge, it doesnt click in anymore, I dont know why, but when I push the SD card in, it just pops back out.
I was wondering if there was a way to get this fixed.

I also heard on a forum that there might be some updated software for the NDS cart, I was wondering if you were going to release this as a .nds file, and have it as Boot.nds

Thanks for taking the time to read my email.

Jon

GPF
July 3rd, 2007, 19:03
http://dldi.drunkencoders.com/index.php?title=Datel_Games_%27n%27_Music_%28micro SD%29

zorcy
July 4th, 2007, 13:37
is this for real? i have not tested it, just saw it today. has anyone checked to make sure it works yet? there are still limits on the games i take it, like can't store to card? if this is real, we could see the GnM jump up fast on more compatability and support from the field.

GPF
July 4th, 2007, 15:47
is this for real? i have not tested it, just saw it today. has anyone checked to make sure it works yet? there are still limits on the games i take it, like can't store to card? if this is real, we could see the GnM jump up fast on more compatability and support from the field.

Yes its for real, I don't have the card but have been watching the progress that Chishm has been making in the #dsdev blitzed chatroom and in this forum thread http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?p=133220#133220

Troy(GPF)

DanTheManMS
July 4th, 2007, 19:05
There have reportedly been issues getting DSO to boot and getting Moonshell to play video files, but otherwise yes, it's the real deal. Thank Chishm for his efforts if you can.

AntiSephiroth
July 7th, 2007, 14:25
Noob, I know, but what do I do with the .dldi file?

crookedmouth
July 7th, 2007, 15:59
Noob, I know, but what do I do with the .dldi file?

The easiest way to DLDI patch is use the newest version of DLDIrc.All the existing .dldi files are included. DL it, install it,Pick what cards you have from a list while installing, then whenever you right click a .nds file, you will get an option to pick your card.While installing I just highlighted both v1 and v2 of Gn'M plus my MMD. I am using just v2.

psychowood's DLDIrc
http://psychowood.altervista.org/getDLDIrc.html

GPF
July 7th, 2007, 17:16
dldi patching thread
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54281

airampoa
July 7th, 2007, 20:12
I've used it on MoonShell and ComicBookDS. Both work great if I use the 128mb micro sd card that cam with my GnM, but they won't run off the 1gb card I have. Other homebrew that doesn't require dldi runs fine off my 1GB card.

DanTheManMS
July 7th, 2007, 20:42
Report it to Chishm in the GBAdev thread, as that's something that should probably be addressed.

AntiSephiroth
July 7th, 2007, 21:20
I got it working! Thanks! I can now run all my stuff. I just got a 1gb card today by PQ1. It is really good. Thanks Chishm for writing the DLDI. I was thinking of ordering a new one before tis came out.

megabass5
July 11th, 2007, 03:14
So with this DLDI patch, do ds roms work now?

Oh I,m new here so hi.

crookedmouth
July 11th, 2007, 04:40
So with this DLDI patch, do ds roms work now?

Oh I,m new here so hi.

Hey megabass. Afraid not, DS Roms won't work, but most homebrew will now.

sasukeremix
July 11th, 2007, 19:51
When i Bought a new micro sd card and i put it in GNM it gives me a blank screen or no media device found and i tryed to format it to FAT32 and that didnt work can someone help me?

airampoa
July 12th, 2007, 18:35
When i Bought a new micro sd card and i put it in GNM it gives me a blank screen or no media device found and i tryed to format it to FAT32 and that didnt work can someone help me?

Brand seems to matter. I have a SanDisk 1 gb card and it works fine, except for DLDI (even when patched) stuff.

Johresa8
July 14th, 2007, 10:43

Read back on this thread and you will see the problems that I had with my two 1GB cards that bought after numerous emails between myself and Datel they offered to replace my cards for theirs. But I got back a new GnM unit and my two 1GB cards and apparently the GnM unit had some new updated software in it and work perfectly well now. If you have the older GnM apparantly San Disk work ok.

airampoa
July 16th, 2007, 14:55
Brand seems to matter. I have a SanDisk 1 gb card and it works fine, except for DLDI (even when patched) stuff.

I just found if I patch with the first patch made my dldi stuff will run on my 1GB San Disk card, but if I patch with the second version of the patcher the dldi stuff won't run.

I was going to post this over at the GABDEV forum, but I've had trouble registering there.

crookedmouth
July 17th, 2007, 01:42
I just returned my sandisk 1gig because it couldn't play DLDI....lol. Any conceivable drawbacks for using the "slower" v1 for homebrew?

airampoa
July 20th, 2007, 14:07
I just returned my sandisk 1gig because it couldn't play DLDI....lol. Any conceivable drawbacks for using the "slower" v1 for homebrew?

I haven't encountered any problems yet. I don't use Moonshell, so I haven't had a problem with video play back.

I have noticed the speed difference in ComicbookDS and Lemmings DS. Both are much slower with the first patch on my 1GB card than the second patch on my 128mb card. The speed difference is only noticeable when starting up (or loading the menu in ComicBookDS). Once running, everything is fine.

crookedmouth
July 21st, 2007, 01:20
Thank you for the reply, re-buy the 1 gig sandisk
card. 20 bucks is a good deal in my area.

evilmario666
July 23rd, 2007, 17:18
my 'click' thing broke.... it seems like somehting that should be adressed i think... i use a tape as someone wrote earlier

dtran12
August 14th, 2007, 22:28
ANYONE! has anybody had, or know somebody who has had the IPOD clone thing Work with this Games n music thing???? that is all i need to know!!! please somone tell me.... this is the only reason i want it.. i dont care about anything else!!!

iso jussi
August 16th, 2007, 16:27
So the RAM version shall come later, but what about the non-ram prerelease 3?

crookedmouth
August 19th, 2007, 07:57
ANYONE! has anybody had, or know somebody who has had the IPOD clone thing Work with this Games n music thing???? that is all i need to know!!! please somone tell me.... this is the only reason i want it.. i dont care about anything else!!!

The "IPOD clone thing" has fairly poor sound but works well. You may want to look into moonshell and DSO2.9(has mp3 support I think) as an alternative.

Buttertoast45
August 19th, 2007, 08:07
I got one of these things last month it wasn't worth
$30 (bought it at wal mart) but its ok

spannernick
January 25th, 2008, 15:07
I got mine today for £17 and i am well happy with it,better than paying £40 that i don't have..But i need a DIDI patch for it...looks like i will have to wait for that..

crowseed
January 25th, 2008, 15:11
I got mine today for £17 and i am well happy with it,better than paying £40 that i don't have..But i need a DIDI patch for it...looks like i will have to wait for that..

Here you go http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79439

spannernick
January 25th, 2008, 20:15
Thanks frodo ds is working great now..;)

crowseed
January 26th, 2008, 12:19
Glad to hear it :)

GreigaMan.EXE
February 5th, 2008, 06:41
is there a way to play full roms in it,or not, just a simple question, if not oh well

Jeric
February 5th, 2008, 13:28
One: What your'e asking is illegal here, go elsewhere to find your questions answered.

Two: The GnM card, while it has improved with dldi, isn't anywhere near that great even where homebrewing is concerned, I should know as I own one.

TechRat
February 5th, 2008, 14:32
I don't understand why GnM gets such a bad rap. It has some shortcomings, but it works great for practically all homebrew apps when they are DLDI patched. Here are the FEW issues I've run into so far:

- Moonshell - DPG video playback is choppy, likely due to the card's slower read speed (ironically, the card's built-in d3v player works great. If it only had a seek bar....)

- Arcomage - only works when booted through DSOrganize.

- AmplituDS - Only works when the system clock is between 12:00am and 1:00am (I think).

- Overall loading of apps is a little slower.

- Pirated DS game roms don't work. (You really shouldn't be using the card for this anyway.)

Besides that, everything I've tried works great, including emulators and more intensive games like Quake DS. I'm sure it's not the best card out there, but for the price it's a great deal.

Jeric
February 5th, 2008, 20:41
DSOrganize has a bug that cause it to consistently destroy data on my GnM.

spannernick
February 5th, 2008, 22:23
Well DSOrganize 3.05 works fine on my GnM but the rest upwards freezes on Chishm loader...anyone else this happen too or is it just me...?

Jeric
February 6th, 2008, 16:40
Not at all. I've had everything load fine for me. Well it DOEs happen, but that generally means that something's corrupted and the whole card's contents need replacing.

Jeric
February 6th, 2008, 20:43
Patching DSO 3.05 with chishm's dldi v2 file, as i'd been using v1 so hopefully I'll have better luck.

Edit No joy, she's not -awanting to boot DSO now. :(

spannernick
February 7th, 2008, 13:31
What version works for you then,mine did this too..?

Would you like to try mine..?

Jeric
February 7th, 2008, 15:30
Technicly speaking every version of DSO past 2.7 work with the v1 chishm dldi patch, the v2 patch apparently futzes with things booting directly from the GnM main menue. However as I've said before There's issues with me and Dso right now so I'm going to give dslinux a go, since if it works I could just load things up in vi and go from there.

As an aside, has anyone gotten moonshell to boot homebrew and or soft-reset from a GnM? If so I'd like to know how you managed it so I can start using moonshell as the default OS.

kurtless
February 8th, 2008, 00:19
What has changed with GaM?I got a datel Max media dock,and it works great.Does the Games and music a slot 2 device also?

zorcy
February 8th, 2008, 19:58
Besides that, everything I've tried works great, including emulators and more intensive games like Quake DS.

i would LUV to find out exactly what you did to get it to work on yours. what versions did you run, what files did you need, what version of those files, and what changes did you do to get it to run?
yes, i am like 3 hours past fustrated trying every hint to a solution i could find and still not getting it to load.

BTW, with the access rate issues, what games have worked best on the GnM so far. the emunlators are great, not much needed for those old games, but what about newer games, or running thru an app like moonshell.
i have been reading the forum daily just about for almost a 6 months. it never stops ammaizing me what this machine will do.

pizzatacoman
February 11th, 2008, 03:17
This is an odd request. Can anyone post an .iso of the disk that came with the Games n' Music? I wanted to use the video converter that came with it. Datel has a video converter on it's website, but it does not have any framrate options like the one that came with the disk does and the videos skip.

raynebc
March 1st, 2008, 08:12
I made an image of it. Options are to post a link here or via email.

TechRat
March 2nd, 2008, 02:41
i would LUV to find out exactly what you did to get it to work on yours. what versions did you run, what files did you need, what version of those files, and what changes did you do to get it to run?
yes, i am like 3 hours past fustrated trying every hint to a solution i could find and still not getting it to load.

BTW, with the access rate issues, what games have worked best on the GnM so far. the emunlators are great, not much needed for those old games, but what about newer games, or running thru an app like moonshell.
i have been reading the forum daily just about for almost a 6 months. it never stops ammaizing me what this machine will do.

I always stay updated will the latest versions of applications, I use version 1 of the DLDI patch (version 2 has very low compatibility), and I patch my apps with this tool: http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/dlditool-win32-gui.zip

Keep in mind that GnM will NOT run commercial DS game roms, so don't even try.

All applications run great without any slowdown. They just take a little longer to load initially. It's no worse than waiting for a level in a playstation 2 game to load. Once they load they're fine, and I've tried almost all of the popular apps with the exception of the Quake 2 port (I don't have a RAM expansion). Some apps require files to be in specific places on the card. Most apps have a README file in their zip file with details. If all else fails, put all of the app's files in the root of the card.

Moonshell works, but the video playback is choppy so I tend not to use it much. There's a new app called DSVideo that looks very promising however. I still prefer d3v for overall quality and smoothness, but there's no way to seek in the videos.

I hope this helps. If there's a specific app you want info about let me know and I'll try to help you out.

raynebc
March 2nd, 2008, 20:59
I'm using v1 of the GnM DLDI patch, some possible compatibility issues:

The Hexen port crashes almost immediatly

The Insaniquarium port crashes relatively soon after you have 10 fish

Tales of Dagur crashes within the first few minutes

Most of the other homebrew that actually will load up and run will work without problems, but Puzzle Maniak has crashed randomly on me a few times.

TeenDev
March 2nd, 2008, 22:30
I'm using v1 of the GnM DLDI patch, some possible compatibility issues:

The Hexen port crashes almost immediatly

The Insaniquarium port crashes relatively soon after you have 10 fish

Tales of Dagur crashes within the first few minutes

Most of the other homebrew that actually will load up and run will work without problems, but Puzzle Maniak has crashed randomly on me a few times.

those are old programs that don't support DLDI. It's not the GnM's fault.

bman94
March 3rd, 2008, 02:46
For Emulators I suggest:
Jenesis (Sega Genesis)
Lameboy (Gameboy)
DSMaster (Game Gear & Master System)

This site has alot of helpful things also:
http://dl.qj.net/DSBoy-v0.5-Nintendo-DS-Emulators/pg/12/fid/14697/catid/228

zorcy
March 3rd, 2008, 20:47
Did you notice walmart has the GnM on clearance, $19,

raynebc
March 6th, 2008, 07:48
Well worth the price, I'm enjoying mine very much.

campos 336
March 11th, 2008, 03:53
I was putting some mp3 songs on my games n music and it only let me put like 6 songs and it said folder full how do I put more songs do I need a bigger card
Thanks

crookedmouth
March 12th, 2008, 01:01
You must have more then just that on the card. Remember the stock card is 128mb,which can get used relatively quickly especially with audio and video.
A new MicroSD card is a good idea, but there have been some compatibility problems. The only one I can attest to working is a 1GB Sandisk. I'm sure there are others, but just be aware that a lot of bigger cards won't even work.

campos 336
March 15th, 2008, 05:50
thanks for the info I got the scandisk 2gb card and dsmaster emulator stopped working but thats ok because the snes and genesis one work great and now I have more room for games and so far put about 60 songs.

crookedmouth
March 16th, 2008, 04:08
Wow, thats good to know.
Could you check if the reason DSMaster might have stopped working is perhaps you dldi patched it with V2 of the GnM dldi? It just seems weird that that would happen.
Thanks for the info.

campos 336
March 16th, 2008, 05:21
Wow, thats good to know.
Could you check if the reason DSMaster might have stopped working is perhaps you dldi patched it with V2 of the GnM dldi? It just seems weird that that would happen.
Thanks for the info.

Man you hit it right on the money I did have the v2 so I patched the other gnm didi and now it works thanks

crookedmouth
March 16th, 2008, 23:41
Cool, glad that was it. :)

cutterjohn
March 17th, 2008, 14:09
From my brief experience with the GnM, got my DS in mid-November and the GnM the same day but I stopped using the GnM in early December, I had MUCH better luck with the v1 DLDI patch either using the shipped 128MB uSD OR a 2GB Kingston Japan uSD.

Other than that, the GnM is really only useful as a stop-gap-I-can-get-it-locally-and-fast-and-relatively-cheaply(c. $20)-mesure. Pretty much any other decent slot-1 DS flash cart will be MUCH more worth your while as they will be MUCH more compatible with homebrew. e.g. dslinux recent builds of a useful nature never worked for me on the GnM, and a few other apps that I wanted also failed to run with either DLDI patch. I was MUCH happier with my Cyclo DS Evolution and Supercard DS One SDHC(caveat browsers fail to work on dslinux when run from an SCDS1).