PDA

View Full Version : id: Some of Our Brands Could End Up on Wii

wraggster
March 4th, 2007, 19:11
Interesting tidbit of info from a Gamedaily interview (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15411&page=3) with ID Software`s Steve Nixon:

The Wii is interesting. I think the Wii is fantastic. I think it's great that Nintendo did something really unique with the control system. They've made it really more mass market friendly. Mouse and keyboard combinations or controllers can be baffling for people who haven't played games since the Atari 2600. So I think what they did, the more intuitive they can make games for that system, that my mom can pick up and get into in 5 or 6 minutes, that's fantastic and it's necessary in growing the market. But where we're at, since id's always been about taking revolutionary steps in graphics technology, the Wii's really not a great platform for that part of our strategy because there's just not a lot of horsepower there. We've looked at what would make sense, some of our older technology, to get up and going on the Wii, because people have expressed interest in licensing tech from us that would be for Wii games, so we're still figuring out how we can do that. Some of our brands could end up on the Wii. But our new stuff, the next-generation stuff we're doing, there's no way that it could run effectively on the Wii.

Toadzter17
March 5th, 2007, 00:46
Carmack doesn't care about consoles (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/31/carmack-xbox-360-as-id-softwares-primary-platform/) or the Wii for that matter.

"Speaking to PC Gamer, Carmack discusses the challenges with programming for consoles with multiple processors: "they can quote these incredibly high numbers of giga-flops or tera-flops or whatever, but in reality...they're significantly slower than a modern high-end PC." Carmack has made a living in the PC gaming field, so naturally's he is going to be a bit biased, but he still praises the PS3 and Xbox 360 for their graphics systems."

Shadowblind
March 5th, 2007, 00:55
id software is the ofremost greatest FPS company I can think of. They through out the classics from Wolfenstein to Quake 4. All they're FPS's cause revolutions.

I really hope they remake a few games for the Wii...

JKKDARK
March 5th, 2007, 01:12
I think Xbox 360 should get more support than on the Wii

masterpaul
March 5th, 2007, 14:37
Wii should get more FPS and stragegys from ID.

Xbox 360 should get more platformers from ID.

hadrian
March 5th, 2007, 18:39
Cant see why a few remakes or spin offs cant make the Wii. Doom 3 could be ported, maybe the Xbox version though I do know that theres a few things graphically the Xbox can do the Wii cant, cant see how id cant find a way.