PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to last 10 years, says Sony

wraggster
March 5th, 2007, 16:10
The production problems which lead to the delay of the PS3's European release, and much of the console's huge price tag, has been greatly put down to the inclusion of the Blu-Ray drive. However, Sony big cheese Phil Harrison deems it a feature that will allow PS3 to last 10 years.

"The blue laser diode, as you well know, had a blip short-term ramp up issue, which is now past; that's now behind us. That did cause us some challenges in being able to supply the launch worldwide, but that's all resolved," assures Harrison in an interview with Game Daily.

"We needed to have Blu-ray disc from a game design point of view, the chipsets in PS3 chew through data at such a rate that in order to build variety and detail and quality into the games, we need more than nine gigabytes."

Harrison goes on to back up the PS3's price, saying: "The fact that we could also adopt the pre-eminent next-generation movie format into PS3 was an added bonus, not an added cost," later adding, "Those are the decisions that are going to propel PlayStation 3 to be a platform that lasts for ten years, like we've seen with PS1 and PS2."

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159249)

Uchuu
March 5th, 2007, 17:21
10 years.........maybe. Hell the PS2 is still going strong, and it's in it's 7-8th year. And it'll be easier for them to last that long IF Blu-ray does prove to be the winner of this format war (which it should be, since it has all but 1 major studio supporting it...come on Universal....). Just because that would help them drop the costs on the games, making it cheaper for the consumers.

But then again, the PS1 and the PS2 won their respective generations, so if the PS3 wants to last 10 years, it might need to get some good games soon, and keep them coming for years to come.

steve-b
March 5th, 2007, 17:23
PS1 and PS2 didn't use a format that was trying to compete with anything else though. I think that is a fundamental difference.

necromancer
March 5th, 2007, 19:23
10 years, does anyone honestly believe a PS3 bought today will still have a drive that even works in 10 years? Sure it might last 10 years, but only after buying 3 of them.

Shrygue
March 5th, 2007, 19:26
PS3 to last 10 years....I wonder if it could really go one for that long...

briyan
March 5th, 2007, 19:28
if the format doesn't survive and will be superceded by a more superior media or if at any rate gets trampled by HD-DVD, then what good is the 10-year lifetime of the blue diode? at a slumbering 2x speed, it should survive for a long time though.

JKKDARK
March 5th, 2007, 22:34
10 years, does anyone honestly believe a PS3 bought today will still have a drive that even works in 10 years? Sure it might last 10 years, but only after buying 3 of them.

The article is about 10 years of making consoles and (maybe) official games. Not about your console.

devdj
March 5th, 2007, 22:45
10 years is a bit steep for the ps3 but ya never know what could happen to games consoles but i do hope that Sega come back with a true next generation consoles that will probably use the holographic media disc or the Enhanced Versatile Disc but either one disc will wipe blu-ray when the time comes hope fully a few years

SSaxdude
March 5th, 2007, 23:20

True, my second PS2 works like crap now (my first one also broke.) Well here's me not believing Sony's BS.

hksrb25s14
March 5th, 2007, 23:44
Phil Harrison says that only to keep a job for 10 years.