PDA

View Full Version : Motion control "messy" says EA

wraggster
March 5th, 2007, 16:16
Concerns regarding accuracy issues with motion control continue as an EA producer told CVG they're "messy".

Jay Balmer, associate producer for EA's new skateboarding sim entitled Skate, told CVG: "If you're well-behaved with the controller, the motion control will be super cool. It won't just be steering [in Skate]; we're going to put a lot more into the motion controls than just steering," speaking of the inclusion of motion control in the PS3 version of Skate.

"But it's very messy," he goes on to say, referring to motion control as an interface. "All of the sensors are active and all reporting information at the time, so we really have to find a way to filter what comes through on the motion controls so that everyone can have fun with them.

"Like I said if you're well behaved with the controls they work great but if you're jerky or jumping around the signal becomes very messy," as Wii owners will probably have frustratingly found when toying with their new console. We know we have.

"It's the reality for the Wii, as it is for the PS3," says Balmer.

Does that mean motion control is a rubbish idea? Balmer doesn't think so: "I think they still pay off. I think it's a great feeling to be using motion controls. It's just difficult because you don't always get what you expect."

Getting motion controllers to function properly is a challenge for developers, and as we delve deeper into the Wii/PS3 generation, we're bound to see some developers get it right while others get it disastrously wrong.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159284)