PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS does geopositioning with WiFi

wraggster
March 5th, 2007, 21:17
A highly reliable source just sent in this image of a Nintendo DS using WiFi -- rather than GPS -- for geopositioning data (sorta like that iriver W10 we mentioned back in January). Not sure when this might be commercialized, but it would potentially make it possible to add location-based data to DS games without requiring some sort of GPS add-on.

Screens Via Comments.
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/05/nintendo-ds-does-geopositioning-with-wifi/)

woods05
March 6th, 2007, 00:25
Nice picture

residentskitz
March 6th, 2007, 21:08
thats pretty cool. im not a coder, but it seems that this couldnt be too hard for somebody around here to homebrew up. the ds would need to connect to a server, who would then do a lookup of whatever ip the ds was connecting from, then send it back to the ds.

what would be super cool sould be to then integrate that with AMAP4ds of mapviewerDS or something similar.

or hell, how about a standalone google maps viewer that pulls tiles from google. or am i just getting ahead of myself here? btw, i havent tried out the DSbrowser yet, has anybody tried out any map sites to see which ones work?