PDA

View Full Version : PS3 won't emulate PS2's success

wraggster
March 6th, 2007, 16:17
Electronic Arts' chief executive Larry Probst has predicted that Sony will see a decline in its market share in the current console generation - but he still expects the PS3 to come out on top.

"We expect that there will be a more level playing field this time around than last time," Probst told an investor conference in the United States this week, according to the Reuters news agency.

Probst, who recently announced that he'll be stepping back from the CEO role at EA on April 2nd to allow former chief operating officer John Riccitiello to return to the company as its new chief executive, highlighted the "expensive" price of the PS3 as a key problem facing the console. He pointed out that the audience at Sony's E3 conference gasped when the US$ 600 price point was revealed.

via eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=73739)

Uchuu
March 7th, 2007, 17:09
well.........honestly, i don't think any console will ever get the success of the PS2.......

like in terms of sheer number, wow, around 100 mill shipped around the world.....and most of them got sold and what not.

plus there's more competition this time around. last gen, the xbox and gc were superior consoles, but they had some big flaws.......xbox had no japanese support (this time they do), and the gc had a proprietary disc with little space on it....(wii kinda still has that...but at least theres a wii-mote now?)

JKKDARK
March 7th, 2007, 22:45
and the gc had a proprietary disc with little space on it....(wii kinda still has that...but at least theres a wii-mote now?)

Don't compare a true video game company with a company who also makes tv's, dvd's and other things.

Uchuu
March 8th, 2007, 07:20
Don't compare a true video game company with a company who also makes tv's, dvd's and other things.

Look, both the Xbox and the PS2 used DVD's. And due to that they were both able to get games with all features. There were quite a few multi-platform games the GC had that didn't have features it's Xbox/PS2 counter-parts did have.

Though the Wii itself is a weaker console, which means it demands fewer data space for it's game, it's games are still limited to just 4.7GB. That's not bad or anything, but it may just limit games for the Wii content-wise. You should know by now that there were lots of games last gen that surpassed 4.7GB, and those games should be no where near as advanced as what the Wii can support.

Though the 360 isn't using anything really new, it is at least using DVD9s, which holds 2x that space and MS has already showed that they're OK with the whole disc swapping idea (at least for RPGs... i wonder if they'll be as kind to a disc swapping thing for other types of games.....anyways).

And yea, I know you're most likely one of the people out there who despises the fact that the PS3 has blu-ray in it. It's true that the thing alone hindered the PS3 from it's launch up until now (since it add a lot to the price), but it does potentially give games up to 200GB of data space (though.....that wouldn't be great just due to the load times).

All i'm saying is that the Wii Optical Disc may just be something that hinders the Wii. The Wii is still a good console, but it does have it's flaws.

Just my opinion though.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 11:54
Dreamcast discs have 1.2 GB and games relased on PS2/DC were better on Dreamcast (Grandia 2, Rez, Resident Evil Code: Veronica..)

darknight88
March 8th, 2007, 17:57
Dreamcast discs have 1.2 GB and games relased on PS2/DC were better on Dreamcast (Grandia 2, Rez, Resident Evil Code: Veronica..)

I think the look bad on PS2 cuz they were mere ports!

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 18:14
Prove it

F9zDark
March 8th, 2007, 18:58

That is obviously your opinion that few people share. There was nothing wrong with Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2...

And if size didn't matter, as you seem so inclined to believe, where is the Dreamcast now? When does being a stupid fangirl stop and logical thinking begin?

Needless to say, if the DC was anywhere near as good as its fanboy and fangirls believe it to be, it would not have been the biggest console failure in history.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 19:16
The Dreamcast isn't the biggest failure since it still get official games on Japan. In other words, Dreamcast is alive.
And if you can read correctly, I said Dreamcast RECV was better than the PS2 version, I don't know where the fcuk you got your idea.
Obviously, a console made by Sony or Microsoft will never die and will get always support from the best video games developers, since it's all about money.
The only true company actually is Nintendo, who is a real video games company and make games for their users.
I hope you can grow up and buy games with quality, not for quantity. And who knows, maybe you will be a real gamer.

F9zDark
March 8th, 2007, 19:37
The Dreamcast isn't the biggest failure since it still get official games on Japan. In other words, Dreamcast is alive.
And if you can read correctly, I said Dreamcast RECV was better than the PS2 version, I don't know where the fcuk you got your idea.
Obviously, a console made by Sony or Microsoft will never die and will get always support from the best video games developers, since it's all about money.
The only true company actually is Nintendo, who is a real video games company and make games for their users.
I hope you can grow up and buy games with quality, not for quantity. And who knows, maybe you will be a real gamer.

You're telling me to grow up? Your mindless diatribes about the DC and how Nintendo = the best is evidence enough of your imaturity. And since YOU seemingly can't read I will repost what I said about RECV:

That is obviously your opinion that few people share. There was nothing wrong with Resident Evil: Code Veronica for PS2...

That aside, what's even funnier is the fact that you insult me as a gamer, for liking certain games over others. For the record, I have been a gamer since you were wearing diapers...

That aside, am I not a gamer because I buy Sony consoles and not Nintendo consoles? Or am I not a gamer because I never touched the DC? The fact that you would even entertain the idea that 8 games was made for the DC in the last 5 years means thats its still alive is just absurd. Once again the stupid fangirl comes out.

I thought only America was host to such stupidity, but I guess I was wrong.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 19:48
wow you even don't know anything about numbers. 8 official games were released in the last "3" years, not 5. Even you can't understand how many years a console is alive: with official games.
Anyway, enjoy your PS3, the great system that sold only 1.5 millions consoles and is losing all their exclusive games like Guitar Hero and Final Fantasy.
Oh since you are a Sony fan, tell me the FANTASTIC video games series made by Sony. Real companies should know how to make real games..

F9zDark
March 8th, 2007, 20:01
wow you even don't know anything about numbers. 8 official games were released in the last "3" years, not 5. Even you can't understand how many years a console is alive: with official games.
Anyway, enjoy your PS3, the great system that sold only 1.5 millions consoles and is losing all their exclusive games like Guitar Hero and Final Fantasy.
Oh since you are a Sony fan, tell me the FANTASTIC video games series made by Sony. Real companies should know how to make real games..

And once again your stupid fangirlism blinds you to the the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast#End_of_production

DC ceased production in March of 2001 - 6 years ago
Last US release of a DC game was February of 2002 - 5 years ago.

And Japan only releases hardly warrants a console with a worldwide fanbase as 'alive'.

How about you try and debate intelligently rather than resorting to patronization?

What people like is a matter of opinion, something you obviously cannot comprehend. What use is it to me, to tell anyone of what games I like, especially in this case, when your opinion obviously blinds you from the truth?

I don't buy games because the world likes, but because I like them.

The fact that you claim RECV was better on the DC than on the PS2, even though they were EXACTLY the same, indicates that you are incapable of being logical but also is indicative of your delusional thought process.

Cap'n 1time
March 8th, 2007, 20:07
Stop the flames.

Dont care what the excuse is, dont post it.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 20:10
I don't need more Dreamcast consoles. And why you posted the latest US game release? The only important thing on any console is the "last" release on "any" region.
And how do you know if both RECV versions are "exactly" the same if you never touched a Dreamcast?

F9zDark
March 8th, 2007, 20:16
I don't need more Dreamcast consoles. And why you posted the latest US game release? The only important thing on any console is the "last" release on "any" region.
And how do you know if both RECV versions are "exactly" the same if you never touched a Dreamcast?

I stated the last US game release because that was the last release outside of Japan.

And how do you know the DC version is better than the PS2 version if you never played it?

Added:

I stand corrected, RECV on DC is apparently not the same than RECVX on PS2 (even though RECVX made it to DC as well). The RECVX got new and extended cutscenes that RECV didn't have. Otherwise they are pretty much the same game.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 20:17
I stated the last US game release because that was the last release outside of Japan.

And how do you know the DC version is better than the PS2 version if you never played it?

I have both versions since long time ago, that's why I said Dreamcast version was better.

Uchuu
March 9th, 2007, 07:02
well, i can't really disagree with JKKDARK that some games on the DC were better than its PS2 counterparts, but most of those games were ports that originated from the DC. Plus I don't know if you know or not, but when you port things, it requires more space to get the game running properly. Well, most of the time.

Also most of those games were out early on both of those consoles life.

Anyways, I don't understand why people call Sony/MS fans "not true gamers". It's true that Sega/Nintendo were a couple of the pioneers of gaming and all. They both made and are continuing to make some classics. BUT, as a gamer that started with the Atari back in the 80's, I have to say that the gaming tastes have changed.

True the games (exclusive ones that is) on the DC/GC/Wii and all are good, but they tend to bore me after I complete the game (especially on my Wii now). There's more depth and replay value in the games on the 360 now due to live, and the PS3 due to the PSN. So far nintendo hasn't been doing much online in terms of gaming for me to care (i know it's coming though).

And though, you may not like the Sony/MS exclusives, there are lots of good games out there. Just look at the God of War, GT, and MGS series for the PS, and Gears of War and Halo series for the 360 (just to name a few).

F9zDark
March 9th, 2007, 21:04
And thats just scratching the surface, I originally started gaming on an NES (we had an Atari before I was born, but never had the chance to use it) and then later the SNES and Genesis, but during that time I moved onto PC gaming and have been doing that since I bought my N64 back in '97. (which was my second, true foray into console gaming, which I still enjoy to this day; but at heart I am a PC gamer.)

Point is, people tend to classify gamers relative to what they enjoy. People who play online chess may not be called gamers by people who play Counter Strike or Halo and vice versa.

That aside, I hope Sony does well enough to continue on next-generation. Because to be perfectly honest, whether you like a company or not, is irrelevant to the economic impact that a loss of a console maker can have in today's society.

Perhaps part of the reason why Sony forced so many new technologies into the PS3 was because they didn't have to contend with a 3 competitor. I imagine that if Sega's DC survived on a mainstream level and entered the next-gen race, that perhaps Sony would have lowered the cost of the PS3 more to be more competitive in a market with 4 contenders.

When all is said and done, competition leads to a better product and if Sony were drop out of the race before next-gen, you can imagine Microsoft will bank on that and sell their console at a premium because they will only have to contend with Nintendo.

devdj
March 9th, 2007, 21:43
the wii uses dual layer dvds so get your facts right Uchuu.

SSaxdude
March 9th, 2007, 23:12
F9zDark, the Dreamcast is better than the PS3 will ever be. End of story.

March 10th, 2007, 00:18

Wow, another well thought out and coherent post that makes perfectly good sense, with strong factual evidence to back it up and without any bias or opinion!

Uchuu
March 10th, 2007, 05:10
the wii uses dual layer dvds so get your facts right Uchuu.

Oops, my bad, just did a net search and found out that it was. Yea, 4.7GB single layered, 8.5GB dual......sounds like an ample amount of space for the Wii, considering it doesn't need that much data for graphics and what not.

Hmm.......maybe the Wii doesn't have that many limitations afterall (other than the fact that the games so far look like last gen games....should get better though).

please explain this to me......really i want to know HOW the DC is better than the PS3 will ever be.

F9zDark
March 10th, 2007, 20:09

Right. Stop spouting your opinion as fact, no body likes that around here and such is detrimental to a good discussion. As I have said numerous times, if the DC was better than any other console, even those from its generation, it wouldn't be in the grave, relegated to the few, annual Japan only game releases.

How else is it better? Performance? Power potential? User base?

I suppose the real question is, why do I bother to entertain your post when it has no relevance or evidence to back up your claim? If Dreamcasts were selling by the truck load to this day, then I can see that maybe you'd have a valid point; but they aren't. And probably haven't for the last 6-7 years.

1stvinicius
March 10th, 2007, 22:49
Right. Stop spouting your opinion as fact, no body likes that around here and such is detrimental to a good discussion. As I have said numerous times, if the DC was better than any other console, even those from its generation, it wouldn't be in the grave, relegated to the few, annual Japan only game releases.

How else is it better? Performance? Power potential? User base?

I suppose the real question is, why do I bother to entertain your post when it has no relevance or evidence to back up your claim? If Dreamcasts were selling by the truck load to this day, then I can see that maybe you'd have a valid point; but they aren't. And probably haven't for the last 6-7 years.

:rofl: You didnt get it, did you?? He was just steping on your foot.. Was just throwing an absurd sentence to see your reaction, big dude :rolleyes: HEHEheeaehueh LOL He may be laughing at your face right now heheh. Just like me HUEAEOLFOOEAEEEAEAA :thumbup:

F9zDark
March 11th, 2007, 01:23
:rofl: You didnt get it, did you?? He was just steping on your foot.. Was just throwing an absurd sentence to see your reaction, big dude :rolleyes: HEHEheeaehueh LOL He may be laughing at your face right now heheh. Just like me HUEAEOLFOOEAEEEAEAA :thumbup:

Laugh it up all you want I really don't care about something as trivial as that. Really, spending the time to say some unconstructive and down right wrong is more a laughable offense than proving with evidence that said statement is wrong.

Such is why the internet has a long ways to go before it ever becomes a true medium for intelligent discussion. Because the idiots out there find the need to undermine intelligent discussion with down right lies and try to 'get a laugh' at the sake of their own intelligence (or lack thereof).

So go on laughing my friend, and know that your laughing is born out of your own idiocy.