PDA

View Full Version : PSmonkey Q & A

dejkirkby
March 6th, 2007, 18:56
Here is a thread to ask PSmonkey any questions you want (within reason)
I'll start.
PSM, what are you first gaming memories?

PSmonkey
March 6th, 2007, 19:46
PSM, what are you first gaming memories?

Umm.. I sadly don't remember. I've been into gamming for a very very long time. When I was really young my dad use to manage a bowling ally so me and my brother would nab the keys before the place opened on saturdays and go play arcades till opening (usualy got in a good 30 mins). I remember playing operation wolf and frogger alot.

Actualy over all most of my ealiest game memories would probably involve arcade games. Probably why they are still a big hobby of mine. I have a nice (sadly beaten up a bit) capcom impress japanese candy cab (ie sit down plastic aracade cabinet) and atm an atomiswave game board. Use to have tons of naomi stuff but sadly sold it off. I should have kept them.

I sadly don't remember any gamming moments before that. At the time I was still probably around 5-7 years old (i'm only 23 now).

ExcruciationX
March 6th, 2007, 19:57
Are you of french decent?

yaustar
March 6th, 2007, 20:10
I might as well join in, how did you land your first job in the industry?

PSmonkey
March 6th, 2007, 20:16
Are you of french decent?

Not to my knollage. I was born and raised in Southern California. I only moved to montreal for my first industry job.

My father is mostly italian and from new york. My mother is a mix of things (irish, pencilvanian dutch, english, etc) and from texas.

I might as well join in, how did you land your first job in the industry?

Connections and gba homebrew. My ex roommate and good friend worked for a small studio in montreal and notified me they were in need of gba coders. So I sent a resume and some of my work. I later met the CEO when he was in california on buisness. I was asked to do an event in a sports game for gba on contract. The contract went over well and they offered me a pernament job in montreal. :)

dejkirkby
March 7th, 2007, 08:37
Of the commercial releases available now, on current systems, which game is currently your favourite?

DPyro
March 8th, 2007, 22:09
Of the commercial releases available now, on current systems, which game is currently your favourite?

Uhh....Motorstorm? :rolleyes:

EDIT: I take that back. Just saw the review of Motorstorm.....OUCH

PSmonkey
March 9th, 2007, 04:51

PS3: Motorstorm (wicked online)
360: Rainbow Six: Vegas
Xbox: Conker Live & Reloaded (nothing will be better then this game)
PSP: ARGGGGG.... Give me a week, hard to narrow down.

Mysteryman
March 11th, 2007, 17:35
I had a few questions.
How did you learn to code?
What tips would you give to someone looking into coding?
And do you think with the new psx emulator and n64 that homebrew projects are somewhat pointless when a person can play a better game emulated?

Thanks
Mysteryman

Ushrufp
March 11th, 2007, 17:51
- Note by Monkey -
Stop posting crap on my forum.

Be3f
March 12th, 2007, 10:33
@PsMonkey
Have you spoken with McZonk (Quake2-PSP developer and Teamemergencyexit leader) in last 6 month? I've sent him a e-mail letter about a month or two ago, but he still didn't reply... Has he gave up PSP-Deving and improving Q2-PSP? Quake 2 port and Iris were my favourite PSP homebrew projects, sadly, if they both are dead... :( (now, my favourite PSP homebrews are Dungeons3D and NoGravity)

PSmonkey
March 12th, 2007, 16:50
I had a few questions.
How did you learn to code?
What tips would you give to someone looking into coding?
And do you think with the new psx emulator and n64 that homebrew projects are somewhat pointless when a person can play a better game emulated?

Thanks
Mysteryman

I learn how to code by having no life in high school and just finding tutorials and source code on the internet. I learn best by seeing actual code vs reading a document saying what to do. :P

A tip I can give is to find some way to apply what you learn. Don't just read it and say "ok", Write a small app to use what you learn. That is the only way it will actualy stick. What helped me the most was doing GBA homebrew development. It really accellerated my learning.

What new n64 & ps1 emu? (truthfuly even tho it's illegal), With sony's emulator hacked, there is no purpose to writing a ps1 emu. As for n64 I think the best hope is in daedalus unless the author of corn desided to write a psp n64 emu. Now where are a saturn emu?

@PsMonkey
Have you spoken with McZonk (Quake2-PSP developer and Teamemergencyexit leader) in last 6 month? I've sent him a e-mail letter about a month or two ago, but he still didn't reply... Has he gave up PSP-Deving and improving Q2-PSP? Quake 2 port and Iris were my favourite PSP homebrew projects, sadly, if they both are dead... :( (now, my favourite PSP homebrews are Dungeons3D and NoGravity)

No sadly I have not talked to him for a long time. It would be nice for him to continue quake 2.

I have high hopes for Dungeons3D.

Cloudhunter
March 12th, 2007, 16:58
I
No sadly I have not talked to him for a long time. It would be nice for him to continue quake 2.

Last I heard (from dot_blank on IRC) he was still working on it and making progress :) Unfortunately, their domain expired, but you can still find members of Team Emergency Exit around ;)

Cloudy

ExcruciationX
March 12th, 2007, 17:12
Can you tell us which commercial game you're working on (or the genre)?

PSmonkey
March 12th, 2007, 22:49
Can you tell us which commercial game you're working on (or the genre)?

ATM no but once its anounced or close to release I will tell you which game it is.

Sadly that will not happen for quite some time.

yaustar
March 13th, 2007, 00:21
ATM no but once its anounced or close to release I will tell you which game it is.

Sadly that will not happen for quite some time.

Got to love long development cycles ;)

Mysteryman
March 13th, 2007, 02:05
Hey man, I meant Daedalus and the Psx emulator that was ripped from sony. But the question actually was, Do you think theres much point in homebrew games. Because a person can use these emulators and play far better games. Sorry if my question was confusing. And thanks for answering my questions. You've always been one of my favorite coders.

Be3f
March 15th, 2007, 09:56
I have high hopes for Dungeons3D.

Charnold is currently buisy, but he is going to start a more complex 3D engine, than Dungeons 3D with much more advanced map format, than map.txt, or to improve the Dungeons engine and to add RPG elements to make gameplay more atmospheric...
I enjoyed modding for Dungeons, since v4 was reliased, and am going to continue modding for the next reliase... (you may find my 2 mods here: http://www.caweb.de/caweb/mods.html)

Malksta
March 23rd, 2007, 23:50
Hmm, my first question..

What is your favourite snack other than Koh Kae? :P

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2007, 19:41
Hmm, my first question..

What is your favourite snack other than Koh Kae? :P

At the current time,
Teddy Grahams (honey or oatmeal flavor) & Shrip flavor crackers (spicy kind) you find in asian food stores.

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/productimagesthumb/teddygrahmlogot.jpg

This brand specificaly
http://www.hungovergourmet.com/food/snacks/pkgs/shrimpcrkr.jpg

stotheamuel
March 31st, 2007, 21:07
How tall are you... and what colour are your eyes?

Malksta
March 31st, 2007, 21:34

I think we're getting a bit too freaky =p

PSmonkey
March 31st, 2007, 22:37

Eww, Now were just getting creepy.

In that case ;) 6'1" & hazle (more twards the green side).

:rofl: