PDA

View Full Version : Icarus News

DCEmu_Newsposter
May 30th, 2004, 18:01
The first Dreamcast emulator that screenshots were posted of but never released was Icarusand today at BooB!s forums CyRus64 posted these few bits on the Boob! Forums (http://boob.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard3/ikonboard.cgi?s=40b9f9117c1cffff;act=ST;f=10;t=264 1;st=20) [br][br] Firstly Icarus is obviously not fake. Its very true that a commercial game was running over 2 years ago. Sadly my life has been mostly on hold since then, and I agree it is very disappointing no release has been made.[br][br]However you have of course got Chanka now which is good news for those of you in the wait - and do of course note that a lot of help has been provided by Zezu, Ector, and Felix to this project, so its not as if Icarus has had no impact on other emus.[br][br]The fact is in one's life, you do have to prioritise and getting a degree is kind of important. There is work going on with Icarus, and my exams are finishing soon... I really do hope to make a release as soon as possible (perhaps the summer but lets see how things go).[br][br]Chanka is great and since it is out there, there aren't any real obstacles for an Icarus release anymore.[br][br]It does disappoint me when people describe Icarus as a sad story - yes it is sad it hasnt been released, and maybe an early release was a good idea in retrespect, since ever since expectations have grown. However I would like to reiterate that when Icarus was started very little was known about the dc and thus the reverse engineering was that much more demanding. Chanka is excellent, and has in part been aided by experience / knowledge gained from Icarus, so in this sense Icarus isnt overall a sad thing imo.[br][br]Understand that in the emu scenes a lot of collaboration occurs, and so you cant necessarily treat them as totally distinct projects. [br][br]also this:[br][br] Depends how things go... by what ector says it is pretty fast now but since chanka has sound we'd probably need to get that working too and compat to sort out. [br][br]and finally this [br][br] I believe Crazy Taxi is near full-speed (but I dont know since I havent played with newest Icarus due to exams), presumably on a ~2ghz comp.[br]I'll let you know post-thursday [br][br]Well sound isnt too much of a problem since there have been some new docs around recently (which sadly we didnt have for the last 3 yrs! so things are more doable a bit more quickly now. Chanka guys have ector's gfx code already, so im sure if we have probs with it we can always get some help in return if needed . [br][br]Nice to hear from the Icarus Team once more.

quzar
May 30th, 2004, 20:27
its sad to see that after years of work to try to make an emulator that wouldnt just create a warez haven for DC that someone with their help releases one that obviously uses a lot of katana info (because it dosnt play ANY homebrew) and that can only play warezed games and destroys their goal. I myself hope that neither the Icarus team nor Ivan Toledo are discouraged by this and still continue work on their respective emulators so that devvers can have a viable emulator that actually emulates the system as opposed to just a program to play warezed games. no offense to the creators of chanka.

WHurricane16
May 30th, 2004, 20:34
its sad to see that after years of work to try to make an emulator that wouldnt just create a warez haven for DC that someone with their help releases one that obviously uses a lot of katana info

1. *Chanka plays homebrew.
2. *Cyrus used Katana for his own personal use to understand the DC more while developing Icarus, too.

I just wanted to clear that up before you said something else totally wrong ;) *And for the record, using Katana for your own personal use is not a bad thing. Just like ripping your own games; if it's for your own use then no one else needs to hear about the exploits this is why I've been avoiding the Chanka coversations. They have become warezed-out.

WHurricane16
May 30th, 2004, 20:46
I had to make a new post. The thing that is totally pissing me off is the fact everyone knew this was coming, but a few "sceners" all of a sudden are coming off as holier than thou like this was never going to happen. This is the environment we all were creating, so if no damn protective measures weren't taken then everyone need to shut the hell up. This is really, truly ridiculous.

We all created the environment for what is going on now. Live with it, or deal with it.

Shark_812
May 30th, 2004, 20:56
Yes, Chanka can play homebrew.....

Revolver

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/attatchment/revolver.jpg

KOS Tsunami Banner Example

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/attatchment/kos_tsunami_ex.jpg

DCastle Preview Demo.
Menu displays fine. When starting game, No Response

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/attatchment/dcastle.jpg

LostAngel
May 30th, 2004, 21:15
Somehow this "press conference" of the Icarus team sounds like a joke to me... Is that an excuse for arriving late in the long run and now "Chanka has probably 80% of Icarus code in it so Garrofi only had to ask us for details so Chanka is not a distinct project [yeah sure, maybe we should call it Icarus 1/2?] and keep in mind that we are the only one to have done the hard work etc etc etc.."?
Really, I am a veteran in the emu scene and I definitely don't like noob-like thoughts, but this time Cyrus' words sound exactly like this...
And please forgive me, it's just a personal opinion.

nivaria
May 30th, 2004, 23:29
Icarus??? What is Icarus???? :o :P ;D

Three years talking about Icarus....THREE YEARSˇˇˇˇˇ, and nothing.... ??? ???

This time, the FIRST AND THE ONLY Dreamcast Emulator for Pc is CHANKAST 8) from Garrofi, not Cyrrus (except Dreamer, Namco Museum, from Elsemi (Nébula).

The only thruth:

Chankast is a reality, from Spanish Emulation Scene for all around the world, and it´s only alpha version!!!!!!!!, in three months!!!!!!

Cyrus WILL USE Chankast emulator for developing Icarus!!!!!!!!!!!, incredible.... ;D ;D ;D

Probably Icarus could be the best Dreamcast emulator in the future, but Chankast was the first and nothing will change this.

8) 8)Spanish Powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

Pd: sorry, but my english is not fine ;) ;)

WHurricane16
May 31st, 2004, 04:24
I don't care if I get banned for this: you guys are ass clowns. Cyrus didn't have to say anything but "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't"

You people make me sick. Really.

Ian_micheal
May 31st, 2004, 04:53
Hmm I think it's sad all round i dont support the emulator in it's form now. plays homebrew thats a joke for now. It loads a few things and crashes and play 1 game.

Hows that playing any thing. Screen shot of the start menu's nothing happens on every thing i tryed. Just sits there doing fk all.

I respect Icarus emulator and why it was not released this type of thing 2 years ago there be no homebrew scene.

So im glad he waited at lest it was fun for a bit.

You know all this emulator will do is bring a bunch of newbies asking for isoz and say that game sucks it crashes. Im geting emails asking me how does it work and were do you get games and isoz.

Im the wrong person to ask.

quzar
May 31st, 2004, 06:25
Icarus??? What is Icarus???? :o :P ;D

Three years talking about Icarus....THREE YEARSˇˇˇˇˇ, and nothing.... ??? ???

This time, the FIRST AND THE ONLY Dreamcast Emulator for Pc is CHANKAST 8) from Garrofi, not Cyrrus (except Dreamer, Namco Museum, from Elsemi (Nébula).

The only thruth:

Chankast is a reality, from Spanish Emulation Scene for all around the world, and it´s only alpha version!!!!!!!!, in three months!!!!!!

Cyrus WILL USE Chankast emulator for developing Icarus!!!!!!!!!!!, incredible.... ;D ;D ;D

Probably Icarus could be the best Dreamcast emulator in the future, but Chankast was the first and nothing will change this.

8) 8)Spanish Powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8)

Pd: sorry, but my english is not fine ;) ;)

DCemu by Itoledo can play most homebrew and no real games, which is more legit? Also i have personally done nothing to encourage DC emulation. I think that it is something very unnecessary because it can ONLY promote warez. In theory you need to own a DC in order to get your bios, so why do this? you can already play "your legitamate backups" on your own DC, yet you cannot do so on this? I said no homebrew is playable and i mean it, just cause some things boot dosnt mean they play. Many major homebrews do not work at all. All those that were shown were either extremely simplistic or did not play fully. The fact that it boots homebrew is also fairly irrelevant since homebrew games when selfbooted use katana ip.bins which are different from wince ip.bins. sigh. whatever. i personally have nothing against it, only against the double standard of saying you cant talk warez yet you can talk about playing warezed games on an emulator that can only play warez.

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 09:05
I had to make a new post. The thing that is totally pissing me off is the fact everyone knew this was coming, but a few "sceners" all of a sudden are coming off as holier than thou like this was never going to happen. This is the environment we all were creating, so if no damn protective measures weren't taken then everyone need to shut the hell up. This is really, truly ridiculous.

We all created the environment for what is going on now. Live with it, or deal with it. The reason why no emulators were released up to this point which played commercial games was because the authors of other emulators were trying to figure out how to get around the GD-ROM issue so that people wouldn't blatently warez games in order to play them on the emulator.

The authors of ChooDO were working on firmware drivers for popular DVD-ROM drives, and the author of Icarus had a wire harness hooked up from his GD-ROM unit to his PC.

The authors of Chankast forwent all of these precautionary measures and unleashed the emulator where the only option in order to play the emulator was to use CD-ROM rips of GD-ROMs.

Also, no homebrew (aside from Battery from Jimbo) is actually playable on this emulator, as the instructions that most homebrew use aren't emulated by this emulator. This emulator was developed with commercial games in mind, and pirated ones at that.

If the Chankast authors had waited for the firmware to come out before releasing, or worked on them themselves or another suitable alternative - warez wouldn't have been any more of a concern than the Playstation emulators. But, as it stands - warez is the only option - and that is a sad situation in my opinion.

ron
May 31st, 2004, 10:27
My humble opinnion is far from what we're discussing about. The chankast main manifest says loud and clear, that Chankast wasn't designed for piracy abuse or promotion and ilegal activities.
That's the purpose of Chankast, is to open doors to all in the DCScene, also, I think the same for Icarus.
Now Chankast is out and works, and Ivan Toledo's DCEmu will be a perfect complement for homebrew and opensource DC emulation. Let Ivan works himself in few days great news !!!
If Icarus Team is hearted into themselves, the best could do, is releasing a preview or alpha versión, that helps to get a better knowledge in DC and in emulation. And of course keep working hard as Chankast Team and Ivan Toledo.
And to end, Don´t ask to me & MadriDC for BIOS or related. Noticed.
Good Luck

ron
May 31st, 2004, 10:36
Probably for the next Chankast release, will run DC Open and homebrew software and games. The emulator will "suffer" some changes in its structure to become a better and faster and more compatible DC Emulator.

That's sounds very good, be positive and I claim Icarus Team keep working for an alpha version, as many DC emulators we got , much better for everybody.

Ian_micheal
May 31st, 2004, 10:44
Really starting to become a glaring double standard. >:(

It's a emulator made to play warez why say it's not that all it does. Plays Isos of downloaded dreamcast games.

You need the bios there for a dreamcast so you can play you backups on that.

No need to have this emulator at all. Homebrew version should only load bins thats enff for testing. No cdrom support or iso support.

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 10:59
My humble opinnion is far from what we're discussing about. The chankast main manifest says loud and clear, that Chankast wasn't designed for piracy abuse or promotion and ilegal activities.The fact that the disclaimer had to be put up at all shows that there is an awareness that the only way to play this emulator is through pirated game rips.

I'm sure this emulator wasn't written to purposely promote piracy - but it is in fact doing nothing but that in it's current state.

LostAngel
May 31st, 2004, 14:06
This is getting to the very same point: emulation and piracy. In my opinion, they are both acceptable in ONLY ONE SINGLE CASE: memory. The DreamCast was THE console, it ran Shenmue, it had titles a PSX owner could only dream, had an handheld included, a browser, and so on. The possibilities were REALLY limitless (again that corny slogan of PS2), but if emulation wasn't there, a lot of systems would probably been faded away from our minds by the dust of time.
I own a Megadrive myself, which I still treasure in my room, and without emulation I would probably have never seen again games that left a sign in my youth.
Right, maybe a lot of people now will think "Yay! Warez!", but condemning Chanka and supporting Icarus' "never-never-release" policy is a bit hypocrite, not because I like warez (i never use it), but just because if you create a program and just boast about it, what's the point? It's pretty futile.
Besides, I love to say that "Nothing in an emulator playing a commercial game is more exciting that looking at the emulator source code itself". And I MEAN IT.
LostAngel

WHurricane16
May 31st, 2004, 14:16
Well, this ruined the scene. Too many people are in splitsville.

I'm not one for piracy, but I'm one for common sense. So, people can play there backups. Big f'n deal. The DC has been dead for 3 years.

Ian Michael, you for one is being the biggest hypocrite. An author of emus? A supporter of GPF's VBA port? You guys are totally confused right now, I'm sure I'm not.

Ian_micheal
May 31st, 2004, 14:24
I stoped posting retail games of the GBA after metafox told m. Im sorry you have me wrong totaly. I only promoted legal homebrew on the GBA emu Screen shots i posted after that were homebrew.

you must have a Selective memory.

WHo is the only one that forbids talk of dreamspec katana made emu.
Who is the only one that forbids Gypsy play talk *me
Who was the first person not to *included ip.bins in there download me

I think your confused.

Most of the emulator projects ive down allow to ether play the real un alted cd EG neogeo. *Or pd roms.

I think you need to get a hold of you self and stop saying im any thing when your not correct.

Ive been the moral back bone for quiet some time on some issue in the scene and you know it.

You followed my lead and removed ip.bins

I think really you should say sorry to me as that was pretty much an insult.

guymelef
May 31st, 2004, 14:30
this whole piracy question is out of hand

because if your going to emulate a system then emulate the system...completly
i think question of legality and this and that should be the responsiblity of those prosecuting with the burden of proof being on the prosecuter(s). if it's for eductational purposes and the oppurtunity to flex your coding muscle then go for it. if you're worried about the scene and your community make sure that people are working towards a goal. personally a project i've been working and get seem to get off the ground is to treat the DC like a drive. Establishing easy to use software so that you can send utopia and code breaker automatically to the DC and then either swapping for your legal disc images (because we all know what happens to those precious gd-rom disc when they even think that they have a scratch. sega made a knockout system but man those disc suck and with even casual use will not stand the test of time) or for a real cd. Using disc images in this way would further perserve the life of you laser if not the whole DC, at the same time perserving your games. and if you are like me and live in the US the supreme court ammended the copyright laws to say that if a company no longer makes both the neccasary hardware and software that copying for personal and private use is acceptable. and quite honestly I think that these games only stay under production rights for many other reasons, like releasing a special edition for the next system or for making a sequal. either way having a strong bootleg cult followingcould only help. That and look at the sheer numbers. How many DC where made? how many games? what's the chance that if you weren't like me and bought rare games like MvsC2 the first time around that you will ever get a copy of it, or at least one that actually works. I shop around and there aren't any dc games at EB gameXchange or the pawn shop that I don't legally own. What is sad is I only have about 60. and ebay is outrageous at 60+ for in the plastic goodies like skies over arcadia and MvsC2. Without all the hype for dc emulation we wouldn't have commercial releases for homebrews. seriously. that is an undeniable fact. I admit that there is good and bad about this but I think as long as we keeping from being a slum filled with e-theives and fake coders that we can further our communty which as come so far already.

I forget what I was trying to say?

oh well

bloodyskies
May 31st, 2004, 15:03
Why does everyone seem surprised that Chankast offers limited (if any) support for homebrew software? It seems to me as being inevitable that the first working emulator for the Dreamcast would be able to play commercial software. Firstly, there's a lot more of it to test. Secondly, that's what the console was designed for. Thirdly, the warez scene is a lot older than the homebrew scene, and finally, the Utopia boot disk (which was required to play homebrew in the early days) was designed to enable Dreamcast owners to play warez.

I do acknowledge that homebrew software now plays on the Dreamcast legally, but I think certain people need to realise that took piracy to enable that to happen.

Cap'n 1time
May 31st, 2004, 15:11
Why does everyone seem surprised that Chankast offers limited (if any) support for homebrew software? It seems to me as being inevitable that the first working emulator for the Dreamcast would be able to play commercial software. Firstly, there's a lot more of it to test. Secondly, that's what the console was designed for. Thirdly, the warez scene is a lot older than the homebrew scene, and finally, the Utopia boot disk (which was required to play homebrew in the early days) was designed to enable Dreamcast owners to play warez.

I do acknowledge that homebrew software now plays on the Dreamcast legally, but I think certain people need to realise that took piracy to enable that to happen.

hes right you know. even homebrew somewhat started out as warez. i think its pretty much unavoidable to make an emulator, and not expect it to be used as warez.

Ian_micheal
May 31st, 2004, 15:35
Homebrew = warez ? ??? Now can people see what im talking about with these types of posts. Hows that helping the scene

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 16:20
They were just saying where the scene started, read what they are saying first.

MetaFox
May 31st, 2004, 21:12
They were just saying where the scene started, read what they are saying first.I'm sick of people saying that the warez scene was the one who discovered that code could be loaded using the MIL-CD format, and the ones who started the selfbooting games.

The warez people did NOT start the "dreamcast scene". The Dreamcast was being disassembled by a group of people (consisting of Marcus Comstedt, Bitmaster, and Dan Potter, among others) pretty much the moment when it came out. The MIL-CD format was discovered long before the first warez release came out. The Gameshark CDX used the MIL-CD format, as did the Bleem demo that was shown at E3 2000. The fact that the MIL-CD format could be used to load code from a CD was in fact known before the Dreamcast even came out in the United States. When the MIL-CD format became public, Marcus Comstedt did some disassembling of the Dreamcast, realizing that it was possible to selfboot programs by placing an audio track before the data track, and scrambling the binary. As soon as this information came out, the warez had started to become selfbooting.

It wasn't the warez crowd that started the "Dreamcast scene", it was the hard working disassemblers who's work was unfortunately stolen by the warez kids.

You owe your gratitude to Marcus Comstedt, Bitmaster, Dan Potter, and all of the other early disassemblers of the Dreamcast - not the over-inflated ego baring warez freaks.

wraggster
May 31st, 2004, 21:30
Topic closed, ive had enough.