PDA

View Full Version : Gnirfleo Free Internet Browser Screenshots

wraggster
March 8th, 2007, 01:12
The guys behind Gnirfleo (http://gnirfleo.blogspot.com/) the free Internet Browser have released Screenshots of their app in progress:

Sorry it took so long, had some trouble with signing in to Blogger: (Updated to the new blogger, but forgot that I had to log in with my e-mail instead of my account name.., but everything works fine again. Thanks for being patient.

Now, this is the browser fully working. As you can see, you have to hold the DS like a book. This can be changed if you want to, but trust me: Once you've tried this: you don't want anything else anymore! I mean it! It works so nice:

Sorry for the quality, just taken with a webcam.

Screens Via Comments

bigwest
March 8th, 2007, 01:15
looks nice

kurtless
March 8th, 2007, 01:40
Thats frckin awessome!!!Release it now!How fast is it?Can you downlaod things onto your card?That would be so cool :D

Well anyways nice job.

JKKDARK
March 8th, 2007, 01:44
It's really amazing for the DS scene :)

voteforpedro36
March 8th, 2007, 02:24
Just a real stupid question... will you have to have Wi-Fi for this? Or do you just have to have any wireless internet connection? Cause I have cable internet (no wi-fi yet)...

DanTheManMS
March 8th, 2007, 02:45
How would you click on items on the left half of the page? That's usually where most pages store their navigation bars...

Granted, they've probably already thought of a solution to that, but it's worth questioning nonetheless.

And yes, voteforpedro36, you will need wireless access, as the DS cannot connect directly to your cable modem. It is recommended that you buy a router, because although it is possible to modify the Nintendo wifi USB adapter to work with homebrew, it's a hackish solution and I wouldn't trust it personally.

kcajblue
March 8th, 2007, 02:46
awesome. :thumbup:
now i really want a release!

i cant wait until the 24th. :D

Yheti
March 8th, 2007, 03:35
I bet you just have to hold the R button down and then the stuff on the left screen goes to the right side? Or something similiar to that....

And yeah, it looks pretty great. I didn't even hear about this browser until recently, it's cool to know that 2 people are working on a homebrew DS browser, it should create some exciting competition. =)

Tripsk8er333
March 8th, 2007, 04:04
WOW!! This is so COOL Please Let us now when you are going to release this!!:thumbup: I CAN'T WAIT!! :)

kcajblue
March 8th, 2007, 06:02
the release date is on the 24th.

linkenski
March 8th, 2007, 06:33
maybe it will be later. it depends on how much gnirfleo community want's to change

hakds
March 8th, 2007, 09:48
Or just to rotate your ds at 180° ^^

souLLy
March 8th, 2007, 10:28
That looks very impressive actually. Are they using an existing rendering engine for it?
I'm slightly skeptical to see it looking that far along, but i'll reserve judgment for now

Kraton
March 8th, 2007, 11:22
Wow. Looks very nice. It would be nice if they add possible to make own skins.

Junixx
March 8th, 2007, 12:32
I'm with kcajblue, cant wait till the 24th :D

Sonny_Jim
March 8th, 2007, 14:55
I have to say I'm slightly skeptical as well. An HTML engine just doesn't happen overnight. Also considering the low RAM inside the DS it makes this task even harder (Just look at Opera).

Like someone else said, I'll believe it when I see it.

masterpaul
March 8th, 2007, 15:39
Is there flash

fkhan
March 8th, 2007, 16:07
In one of his replies on his blog, gnirfleo has said it has been about a year since they started working on it. will see about in few weeks:thumbup:

lolmasta
March 8th, 2007, 16:17
It's horizontal!?
Will it work on Slot1 flashcards?

DanTheManMS
March 8th, 2007, 23:02
Will it work on Slot1 flashcards?

Go to the Gnirfleo and read some of the recent entries. It will tell you the compatible devices.

henchturk
March 8th, 2007, 23:53
It being horizontal officially makes me skepticle, it just looks like he used that thing (I forget the name) on drunken codes where you can display one image using both screens, also if it is real (I HOPE it is) I can't yet see how you can use the other screen to navigate, usually links are on left side. Either way I want to interact with the WHOLE screen.

lolmasta
March 10th, 2007, 21:18
Atleast he said you can change between Horizontal or Vertical.

Kamon
March 10th, 2007, 22:03
will it support WPA?

DanTheManMS
March 11th, 2007, 03:39
The DS itself doesn't support WPA, so I'm sure the answer is no.

Actually wait, I take that back, there is apparently some hack you can do that changes your DS from WEP to WPA, but you cannot reverse it, and I think you have to have a specific passthrough device for it to work. Not really worth it.

lolmasta
March 12th, 2007, 16:55
Well, DanTheMan, if it wansn't to change your DS, I guess a special passthrough device will do.

Sonny_Jim
March 12th, 2007, 17:40
Actually wait, I take that back, there is apparently some hack you can do that changes your DS from WEP to WPA, but you cannot reverse it, and I think you have to have a specific passthrough device for it to work. Not really worth it.
Have you got the source of this information? A quick google doesn't offer up anything. I thought that WPA would also need a 'software' component to monitor key changes. It seems unlikely that someones managed to fit that into the firmware. Plus if you can erase/write to the firmware, how is it not reversible?

Also has anyone seen any other release by this group yet? It seems extremely far fetched for a first release to be a fully working browser. They don't even mention what tools they are using!

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 00:40
No problem - http://geekboy.ca/wifi/?cat=2

I too didn't think it possible or know of the project until someone at the DS-X forums linked me to it. However, I do not know of anyone who's actually used it.

lolmasta
March 13th, 2007, 14:59
Have you got the source of this information? A quick google doesn't offer up anything. I thought that WPA would also need a 'software' component to monitor key changes. It seems unlikely that someones managed to fit that into the firmware. Plus if you can erase/write to the firmware, how is it not reversible?

Also has anyone seen any other release by this group yet? It seems extremely far fetched for a first release to be a fully working browser. They don't even mention what tools they are using!
We'll see...

guntimsunderstudy
March 13th, 2007, 23:47
cnt wait to the 24th

TeenDev
March 13th, 2007, 23:54
... the hombrew life is hella tight...

lolmasta
March 15th, 2007, 12:17
The hombrew scene is awesome.

souLLy
March 15th, 2007, 13:30
I'll remind everyone April 1st is coming up...

henchturk
March 15th, 2007, 18:00
I'll remind everyone April 1st is coming up...

I hope to god you are wrong...

kcajblue
March 15th, 2007, 22:06
whats on april 1?
if its the release date, no.
the beta release is on the 24th of March

Joel92
March 15th, 2007, 22:11
Haha! dont tell me you don't know what is on april 1st kcajblue! of course its april fools day!

but really it would suck anis if it was an april fools joke.... but my question is, is if it was for april fools, why would they put it on the 24th?

kcajblue
March 15th, 2007, 22:42
everyone knows its april fools.
but i thought it was something else.
like a release for something.

jameshisaus
March 15th, 2007, 23:14
The date (24th) is a week and one day waya from the 1st. Lets hope the comment "its been set back a week" is not given out on the 24/25 then we will know!

I hope it is real :-)

DanTheManMS
March 15th, 2007, 23:36
I think it would be hilarious if they push it back a week and then release it on April 1st, but it turns out to be a bricker. Then again, I'm just evil like that. >=)

Of course, if it actually happened I wouldn't be laughing. I just find the idea itself funny.

Nnnnsic
March 16th, 2007, 08:30
I seriously hope it's real, but I'm glad someone else posted the April 1st idea cause seeing the release date automatically made me wonder too (seeing that I'm usually working on pranks myself).

This would be a good prank, mind you... if we all weren't bloody skeptical already.

wenooo
March 17th, 2007, 06:01
Very Nice ~
so cool~

acidrain
March 18th, 2007, 01:38
i have good faith that this is real, and that it will be released on time, but if it isnt, i hear Opera browser for the ds is going to be released soon in the USA :)