PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Linux Users Help

XioN980
March 8th, 2007, 12:55
I just dual booted my system with Fedora core 6 and im very impressed with it.

But i have a huge problem, i cant DO anything because Fedora wont let me :(

I jsut dont have the privelidges, can someone please tell me how to get administritive privelidges to my normal user?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

mnuhaily22
March 8th, 2007, 13:04
Fedora is bad, why don't you use yellow dog, there is a guide on installing it here (http://www.gamescentral.com/blogs/tek_jansens_explosive_gaming_experience/archive/2006/12/04/playstation-3-tek-jansen-s-guide-to-installing-linux-on-your-ps3.aspx)...
it is quite easy, plus it is much better...in all ways...

SpooForBrains
March 16th, 2007, 23:36
Yeah, Fedora Core is awful. Any other Linux distro would have been a better choice. Most people seem to recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu (depending on whether you prefer Gnome or KDE) for linux newbies. I favour openSUSE myself.

ANYTHING would be better than Fedora Core.

Camelot
March 17th, 2007, 01:20
Wait what? Isnt this the psp help section?

xg917
March 17th, 2007, 02:00
i dont understand a word they r talking about. this is psp related?

mnuhaily22
March 17th, 2007, 10:05
this is a PS3 topic...

Fittersman
March 18th, 2007, 03:43
are you sure its not a PC subject?

but anyway, i would recommend ubuntu, its completely free and there is a great help forum for it (ubuntuforums.org i do beleive)

XioN980
March 18th, 2007, 04:01
1) Its a PC subject but this seemed the best place to post to get a response

2) I know Fedora isn't great but it came free with a magazine

3) Its getting recovered at a HP Support centre in our city.

4) Linux sucks

Fittersman
March 19th, 2007, 03:11
linux doesnt suck man, the only drawback i can think of since ive been using ubuntu is gaming, you just cant play them (unless your comp is awsome and you can afford to emulate windows and play the game at the same time) and i have been using ubuntu for over a year now.

the major positive is that it never slows down like windows generally does over time, and i havent gotten one virus yet, not even a crash or anything.

F9zDark
March 19th, 2007, 04:11
Linux is a good operating system, however it requires a fair bit of knowledge about command prompts to get things working well.

The biggest drawback to it, from my personal experience, is that sometimes, software relies on libraries that aren't used/available and thus said software won't work. The other drawback is that one needs implicit knowledge of their linux distribution and setup to get 3rd party software working correctly.

I tried using Fedora core on many occasions and was pissed that I couldn't get AIM installed (yeah it came with Gaim, but I figured I'd try my hand at installing AIM). Then I wanted to get a better music player on there and well... forget that.

There are a few reasons to use linux however, depending on what your tastes are:

Gamer - Don't even bother. Linux cannot run Windows games without an emulator.

Network Tech - Linux is great for setting up a server, DHCP server, router-firewall box, etc.

Poor ******* - Linux is free and open source, making it a great choice for someone who doesn't wish to spend XXX USD on Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc.

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 04:53
For about a year, I use my ubuntu partition more than I do my windows one. Over all, I prefer the apps.

I reccomend ubuntu to anyone. As F9z suggested, it does take a bit of learning and patience. Ubuntu has a great wiki that helps you figure stuff out.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

Most of the games I enjoy are either already available for linux, or are emulated via wine or cedega very well. Of course, I have to boot up Windows XP to play Oblivion (and you can play it with linux, it just requires oldblivion [cedega cant handle Direct X 9 stuff yet, but soon it will]) but that is about it. The apps available are very good.