PDA

View Full Version : The best and worst Wii Games so far

wraggster
March 9th, 2007, 16:43
via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/03/08/the-best-and-worst-so-far/)

We've had enough time now with the Wii to discover some real gems (how many hours have you put into just Wii Sports so far?) ... but like any system, there are also a few duds, particularly within the launch window. If you're looking to expand your collection, or if you're one of the Wii-less trying to figure out how to budget when your day comes, we're here to help you find the best and the worst of the Wii so far.

First up? The five best games according to metareviews of those titles released so far:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metascore: 95%

Maybe everyone doesn't agree -- and we know some of you aren't terribly enthused by the Wii's premiere launch title -- but reviewers on the whole had nothing but praise for Link's latest epic adventure. And with the sales the title has boasted, unless you have been living firmly under a rock, it should be no surprise that this is tops on many Wii lists.

2. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Metascore: 83%

There's nothing like a game that encourages players to use the Wiimote to pick their noses. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves deserves the second slot on this list if only for all the comedic fodder and raised eyebrows it brings to this series of tubes we call home.

3. Madden NFL 07
Metascore: 81%

We've seen such mixed player reviews on this one that we're surprised it pulls in at number three. For football fans, the Wii's Madden NFL 07 seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it proposition, and enough reviewers loved it to make up for those who didn't.

4. Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Metascore: 80%

While we didn't find this particular edition of Trauma Center quite as soul-crushingly difficult as the DS version, we were definitely pleased with the move to the Wii. We're not surprised to see this one here at all, particularly after watching random people encourage others to buy it, sight unseen.

5. Rayman Raving Rabbids
Metascore: 76%

There are a lot of things that bunnies can't do, but we'll tell you what they can do, and that's rock your socks. While Super Monkey Ball has a few gems (though they're in the rough), and Wario Ware is a fun, frenetic challenge, Rayman Raving Rabbids shows us exactly why minigames are just so good on the Wii. This one has it all.

While we can mostly agree with the above as a representation of the best the Wii has to offer right now, we have to say ... as great games go, those scores seem a little low overall. Since the SSX Blur debacle, there have been some rumbling questions about reviews for Wii games in particular. Is the system so different that the old reviewers have trouble adjusting? Do you think the above scores are fair ... and are there other games that you think are better overall?

It's not all about reviews and scores, though. Sometimes, a game just has a certain something that defies all logic and reason, and even we here at Wii Fanboy are not immune. We'll even own up to our guilty pleasures.

Alisha: I can't deny it -- I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam. I didn't even particularly like the game at first, but I'm what you might call a Tony Hawk obsessive devotee, so I had to give it a fair shot, and it quickly grew on me. I found the controls much more engaging than Excite Truck (which is somewhat similar in control style), and it's definitely fun for multiplayer races.

Dave: Elebits, because I never really grew out of loving to play hide and seek. That and I get evil fun from trashing the neighborhood capturing those poor, defenseless, cute little guys.

Frankly, we're shocked. Shocked! That Dave seemed like such a nice fellow.

But what good is a list of the best without a little something to balance it out? While we love the Wii like ice cream, we're not above admitting that not everything has been exactly spectacular. So which three games have racked up the worst reviews so far?

1. Far Cry Vengeance
Metascore: 38%

At first, it seemed like everything was gonna be okay ... and then ... well, the review scores are worth a thousand words. So far, Far Cry Vengeance sports the worst scores of any Wii game, and serves as a good lesson that sometimes, graphics do matter.

2. GT Pro Series
Metascore: 41%

Once we saw the first screens from GT Pro Series, it quickly became the game everyone loved to hate, and for good reason. We've seen better pictures slapped onto refrigerators with a magnet before.

3. Rapala Tournament Fishing!
Metascore: 42%

Fishing may seem like a natural fit for the Wii, but this isn't the game to prove it. Shoddy controls and subpar graphics mean that not many are nibbling at Rapala's hook.

So there you have it -- the top contenders and the bottom of the barrel. With a lot to look forward to in the coming months, we doubt that the top five will remain static until the end of the year. Is it possible that something could take the top spot away from Twilight Princess? 95% is tough to beat, but we'd be willing to bet that Trauma Center and Rayman at least will slip off this list ... and that's a little sad, because those games deserve the attention they've gotten so far.

Shrygue
March 9th, 2007, 16:48
I have never played but I somehow anticipated that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess would reach the top of a list like this. I bet it must be one great game to play.

WastingTheDawn
March 9th, 2007, 16:56
Its funny i havn't played the Far Cry for the Wii but its sad that its last because we say with the wii graphics don't matter,its about the fun.In this case there seems to be a foot in mouth.

muffinman
March 9th, 2007, 16:59
Zelda was a good game but i dont know if it really deserved 95%. I just didnt didnt get the sense of fulfillment that other zelda game gave me.

ICE
March 9th, 2007, 17:48
i heard far cry's graphics were just awful. trees and crap popping up outta nowhere...

Dbgtgoten
March 9th, 2007, 19:21
cool i have 4 of 5 games on the top 5 list and i agree they are really good only one i dun have is madden i agree with those scores :)

illmasaki
March 12th, 2007, 17:26
i know why every1 hates GT Pro Series but its not as bad as every1 makes it out to be

realistic drivers shouldnt be so cartoony i agree
but its playable i played this game for hours to bad zelda and other games i have still kick its ass

strumstrum
March 12th, 2007, 19:36
Zelda was a good game but i dont know if it really deserved 95%. I just didnt didnt get the sense of fulfillment that other zelda game gave me.

easily 10% of its rating is just because it has 'Zelda' in its title..

and Warioware is well overrated IMO, I was really disappointed..

Tony Hawks and Monkeyball deserve more praise than they get, great games.

we havent got Trauma Center yet but the missus will be well pleased it isnt as hard as the stupidly hard DS version..

Triv1um
March 12th, 2007, 20:57
Warioware sucks ass to be honest.

I would throw it away if i got given it for free with my wii.

But zelda = orgasm