PDA

View Full Version : GDC: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility soon to be forgotten

Shrygue
March 9th, 2007, 19:49
via GamePro (http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=105410)

Microsoft plans to decrease focus on backwards compatibility in favor of concentrating on future Xbox 360 titles

It doesn't seem to be a good time for backwards compatibility, if one takes into account what Sony and Microsoft have had to say about the matter. While the downgrading of backwards compatibility on the PS3's European model made headlines across the world, very little has been stated recently on the progress to make more original Xbox games compatible with the Xbox 360.

Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/gdc07/gdc07-360-bc-work-slowing-242776.php) recently spoke with Microsoft rep Chris Satchell at the Microsoft Blogger Breakfast yesterday, and asked him about the status of future backwards compatibility updates. But, what he stated in response doesn't bode well for owners of Xbox games:

"At some point we're going to focus less on it. When you get to the end of this year there will be a reduced focus on backwards compatibility. There are so many 360 games out there. I don't know if it's important anymore."

It looks like backwards compatibility on next-gen consoles is turning out to be what it's supposed to be in the first place: a thing of the past.

Leave feedback via comments.

Elven6
March 9th, 2007, 21:29
Well we got about 9 months left so I hope they pick up the pace to get as many as they can done.

Xiofire
March 10th, 2007, 12:23
Never really played any of my original Xbox games on my 360. I only tried out Halo 2 to see what the online was like (never had live on Xbox) and thought it was crap. So this doesnt bother me.
-Xiofire

Tree
March 10th, 2007, 14:24
you can see its just microsoft doing something again saying they will and they dont ...

BrooksyX
March 10th, 2007, 16:46
All but around 2 of my Xbox 1 games work on my 360. But all the ones I play work anyways so honestly I don't care if they stop the backward compatibility updates if they can instead use those coders to help improve the 360 in other ways.

It would be nice if they add support for Need For Speed Underground 1 in the next release though. It is one of my favorite racing games.

JKKDARK
March 10th, 2007, 16:57
It's really sad. How much % of Xbox games work on the Xbox 360 actually?

SSaxdude
March 10th, 2007, 16:59
you can see its just microsoft doing something again saying they will and they dont ...

Sony dropped the Emotion Engine in UK PS3s, so you're going to get crap compatibility. I'm not going to even get into all the crap Sony promised for the PS2 and PSP which they haven't done. Or how Sony sues online retailers to death *cough* lik-sang *cough*
But as for Xbox emulation on the 360, it is quite high if you live in US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360
Europe should join the rest of the world and finally upgrade to the superior NTSC.

JKKDARK
March 10th, 2007, 17:31
I still cannot believe Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II doesn't work on any region :mad:

Zion
March 11th, 2007, 04:22
meh i think its about time backwards compat stopped anyway.

On the psp, i think its cool that we have emus and such but i have never played a ps1 game on my ps2 (when i had it) or ever played a xbox game on the 360.

if you like the previous console so much you might as well not get the new one.

just my 2 cents

Emulation_Chief
March 12th, 2007, 04:14
Hello:

One of the main reasons the PlayStation 2 is so sucessful during the launch time and in later years is, indeed, its backwards compatibility with PSone games. This allow the console to keep running the largest number of games possible in their catalog.

If Microsoft stops to update the Xbox compatibility emulation, its library of games will be reduced. And I'm sure many people wants to see their favorite game running on a better high definition that the one the original console delivers.

gdf
March 12th, 2007, 12:29
i never had an xbox 1 so this doesn't affect me. i was thinking of buying halo 1 and 2 and some other games though, like conker. man that game owns!

BrooksyX
March 12th, 2007, 13:53
Hello:

If Microsoft stops to update the Xbox compatibility emulation, its library of games will be reduced. And I'm sure many people wants to see their favorite game running on a better high definition that the one the original console delivers.

Well Technically the 360's library is already reduced because these games were never supported. So with every BC update the library of games on the 360 has grown. Most of the good Xbox 1 games work on the 360 anyways, there are just a few good ones that are not compatible. But I am expecting M$ to stop BC on a bang and add support to a lot of games for the last release.

Plus with all the great games coming out later this year, who cares about playing your old, non HD xbox games.

-Halo 3
-Half-Life 2 Orange Box
-Guitar Hero 2
-Unreal Tournament 3
-Oblivion: Shivering Isles

:D :D :D :D :D !

gdf
March 12th, 2007, 14:09
Looking forward to HL2 as i never played it before and this is the complete package! sadly i won't be able to afford guitar hero 2 for a while.

Cloudhunter
March 12th, 2007, 16:22
Well, I can't see why Sony is decreasing backwards compatibility... Maybe initially, but it will improve. IIRC, the Playstation driver on the PS1 was software.

Software backwards compatibility will offer the PS2 advantages such as upscaling to HD.

Cloudy

Uchuu
March 15th, 2007, 10:02
meh, i personally don't care much for BC. I never really played PS1 games on my PS2....and now I don't even play Xbox games on my 360, or PS2/PS1 games on my PS3.

When i get a new console, I want to play the newest games, since they just look that much better. Plus i'm not the type that plays a game over and over......unless theres online that is.