PDA

View Full Version : StrmnNrmn Blog [UPDATE]

Malksta
March 10th, 2007, 19:08
Via StrmnNrmn's Blog (http://strmnnrmn.blogspot.com/)

Weekend update

It's been a busy week at work, what with catching up after my week off and GDC, so I've not managed to post as many updates as I'd have liked.

On Daedalus I've been starting to take a look at the list of potential optimisations I listed and working out what to tackle first. To help me do this my first job is to do some work on Daedalus's profiler, to try and figure out where the biggest wins are going to come from. Hopefully I'll be able to report back with some interesting findings this weekend.

On a related note, I've spent the morning looking at converting the source control I'm using at sourceforge from CVS to Subversion. I've been meaning to do this for some time. I've never really been a fan of CVS, and as I'm using Subversion for other projects at work and at home I thought it made sense to migrate Daedalus over too.

So you can now access the latest Daedalus source* through Subversion:

svn co https://daedalus-n64.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/daedalus-n64/trunk
daedalus-n64

With CVS I usually only updated the source alongside every release. Ideally the repository would contain an up-to-date copy of my local build, but I've had problems in the past where people have distributed 'intermediate' builds of Daedalus PSP, bugs and all. I only ever release new builds when I think there are enough new features and its stable enough to make it worthwhile for people to download and install; updating a source a bit less frequently gives me a bit more control and helps prevent everyone's time being wasted with intermediate builds. I think that I'm going to continue with this policy for the time being. We'll see how it goes.

-StrmnNrmn

*This is still just the R8 source which I lifted from CVS today. I'm in the process of testing whether this compiles OK, then I'll refresh the repository with all the changes from R9. I'll update this post when the R9 source is available.

Edit: R9 source commited to Subversion, all seems to be compiling OK.

CaptainMorgan4
March 10th, 2007, 19:18
Is it just me or does that new site link not work?

pkmaximum
March 10th, 2007, 19:42
It seems as if he doesn't want people to make unofficial builds of his emulator, kind of like the situation with Exophase not wanting to have unofocial builds of his emulator also. Which I understand, I do respect when Wally would make his unoficial builds, but in the end, it wasn't really that big of a deal, unless Strmmmn releases his final source to the emulator, then it would be worth changing the source to meet other user demand, because at that point the coder has pretty much quit. I look forward to seeing what Strmmmn has in store to optomize, because right now speed is definently an issue, though we have come very far since his R1 release.

jurkevicz
March 10th, 2007, 21:26
Great nEws!

Solidsnake3000
March 11th, 2007, 00:01
when will it run on afull speed and with good sound and no feeze i just wish it would but any way good job

DarthPaul
March 11th, 2007, 02:24
It's great to see that he still working on the new Daedalus.The more he work,the sooner we'll get it. Keep it up.

dark heart
March 12th, 2007, 00:42
the link still won't work!