PDA

View Full Version : AMD planning Xbox 360 graphics on handhelds

wraggster
March 11th, 2007, 13:07
via engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/10/amd-planning-xbox-360-graphics-on-handhelds/)

No, this isn't another rampant portable Xbox 360 rumor, but the somewhat indirect linkage is indeed notable. Reportedly, AMD is planning to bring "Xbox 360 quality graphics to handheld devices" by utilizing the company's next-generation mobile graphics technologies. Although no real specifics were handed out, AMD is purportedly "working with content developers now in preparation for the arrival of phones" powered by the forthcoming set, and should be made available to handset manufacturers through "discrete media processors as well as through IP licensing agreements with semiconductor suppliers." Already released is a developers toolkit that includes support for both the OpenVG 1.0 and OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics standards, and it will incorporate the same Unified Shader Architecture that's behind the scenes in your Xbox 360. Sadly, we've absolutely no idea which companies (if any) are already on board with this promising technology, but we just have to wonder if Dell won't reconsider its handheld gaming system considering the already amicable relationship with AMD.

daninski
March 11th, 2007, 13:20
maybe n-gage? they're releasing a new 'thing' soon aren't they?

DarthPaul
March 11th, 2007, 14:02
This is obvious..I mean..this had to be expected.A console with next gen graphics.If PSP has[almost] PS2 graphics,it's sure that in the future there will be handhelds with to date consoles graphics.

factor remix
March 11th, 2007, 15:42
I would love to see a psp2 with this graphics, I mean... lets look at emulators at full speed:

Gamecube
Xbox
PS2
Dream Cast
DS

IamAbe
March 11th, 2007, 15:45
sounds good to me :D, just be sure to fix all the psp's shortcomings and you got yourself a SIK system! be sure to have:
1)touchscreen
2)sd cards
3)motion sensor(that would kick ass, especially for loco roco)
4)at least 64mb ram
5)cant list others cuz im in a hurry.

anyway, i exited :D

EDIT: hell ya to wat factor remix said!!!
also... DUAL NUBS is a MUST

Broadus
March 11th, 2007, 18:56
How is not having a touchscreen or a motion sensor PSP "shortcomings"?

Obviously, we'll all someday be seeing super-duper-top-of-the-line graphics in tiny little handheld devices, assuming we all live that long.
They talk about making portables have XBOX 360 graphics NOW, but of course it'll be years before something like that comes to fruition. Not a decade or anything, but basically, not any time during the year 2007.
The PSP was released in 2005, and the Nintendo DS was released in late 2004 (unless I'm mistaken), and every several years, another generation of game consoles is released, so obviously they've been working on making super-strong portables for a while now.

feradais
March 11th, 2007, 21:10
This is simply amazing.

If its true.

which i believe it is.

jools
March 11th, 2007, 23:46
sounds awesome =D

imagine playin final fantasy X or halo2 on your way to school/work =P

Shrygue
March 11th, 2007, 23:51
Having Xbox 360 graphics on a handcold console would be ace to have.

Veskgar
March 12th, 2007, 03:33
This is very cool stuff indeed. If this is true then the future will hold many great and exciting things.

However, as proven with the PSP upon its initial release, and the success of the DS Lite and the Wii, having the most powerful graphics capabilities is not a guarantee of success.

I hope game developers focus on gameplay, originality, and other elements along with graphics.

s075933
March 12th, 2007, 07:56
omg this is awesome considering Xbox360 is the best console when it comes to graphics

Tegamal
March 12th, 2007, 12:13
sounds good to me :D, just be sure to fix all the psp's shortcomings and you got yourself a SIK system! be sure to have:
1)touchscreen
2)sd cards
3)motion sensor(that would kick ass, especially for loco roco)
4)at least 64mb ram
5)cant list others cuz im in a hurry.

anyway, i exited :D

EDIT: hell ya to wat factor remix said!!!
also... DUAL NUBS is a MUST

1) Once they do this, everyone will claim they copied Nintendo.

2) Won't happen, as Sony likes to use their own media, Memory Stick is all they would use.

3) Interesting idea, except the fact that everyone holds their handhelds at different angles, so that would throw the sensors off. Plus if you start moving it around, you'll lose visual, because the screen is also moving around.

4) Would be nice, but RAM isn't everything. ;)

iceman100
March 12th, 2007, 16:58
im sure it would tank just like n gage did also, and you think if psp supposedly had something near to ps2 visuals what exactly will xbox graphics mean? It will lost to nintendo every time, and i thought any company that would release another hand held would have learned this by now.