PDA

View Full Version : NDS - SNEmulDS v0.4 Final released

DanTheManMS
March 12th, 2007, 00:52
New release of Archeide (http://snemul.free.fr/ds/)'s SNES emulator for the DS:

This release contains various bug fixes, which should improve games compatibility and stability. Some minor features have also been added like options saved in save states, background Layer selector, and hinge support.
Here is a list of changes:

* Fixed ROM paging, this should improve stability of large ROMs (especillay DKC2)
* Some CPU instructions were bugged because of the way SNEmulDS write in I/O ports, this should also improve stability (ie Crash before first boss in Zelda)
* Fixed a bug that made Chrono Trigger freeze during battles
* Changed the way emulator detect blank screen (Street Fighter Turbo, RTYPE3, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest now works)
* Fixed some bugs with SRAM memory, which unlock most ROM protections (Uniracer, Bust-a-move, … now boot)
* Now sound core doesn’t randomly crash when using line by line engine
* Better reset of sound core, some games now run correctly when they are launched after another game (ie Super Bomberman >2)
* Save states also save options
* Added background layer selector. You can again enable/disable backgrounds.
* Added hinge support. If you close you DS, emulation is stopped and SRAM is saved.
* SRAM is now automatically saved before loading another ROM

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

kurtless
March 12th, 2007, 02:57
sweet nice update!!Keep improving smelDS and it'll be awesome!One day it'll be 100% complete

skipboris
March 12th, 2007, 03:12
A compadability list for this would be awesome. Also, I'm a bit new to this, and have a saving question: I use Supercard lite, do I have to use QPC saving with this?

kurtless
March 12th, 2007, 03:24
Well Chrono trigger won't freeze when you battle(yays!)But it still goes freaky with the text boxes,if that could be fixed,CT would be perfect to play.But the battle playability is a amazing jump for SmelDS!Great job!Anouther piece of the puzzle has been set in place.

Also Earthbound runs almost 100%(the text boxes are behind objects as always).But I noticed Ness walks faster.And Worms shows the text boxes if you mess around with the options.

So ya thats what I've learned with this update so far.Awesome man,keep working on it!!!

DanTheManMS
March 12th, 2007, 03:55
skipboris, check out http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

I just finished creating the newest chart and adding about 5 games to it, but there are still tons more games to try. You can look at the older charts though for a rough idea. All three DKC games surely work fine now, though I've only officially tested the first one. I briefly tried DKC2 and was glad to see that it got fixed in this new version. Haven't tried DKC3 yet, but it was working very well in the beta version.

Archeide has said that he's going to try to get the line-by-line engine working better for the next version, which should help Chrono Trigger greatly.

x999x
March 12th, 2007, 06:52
Hows Punchout now? I was able to play the game perfectly, save for the fact that the graphics were scrambled on the fighters.

I'll have to dig it up and give it another go, this would make my DS complete :)

poohead
March 12th, 2007, 11:05
does anybody know how i can play this on my g6 lite? i can play the last release but this one i can t do anything with.
excuse my ignorance, this is an excellent emulator, i d love to get the update working - thanks :D

souLLy
March 12th, 2007, 12:12
does anybody know how i can play this on my g6 lite? i can play the last release but this one i can t do anything with.
excuse my ignorance, this is an excellent emulator, i d love to get the update working - thanks :D

DLDI patch the file, instructions on how are stickied at the top of the ds news forum.

It's fantastic to see this continuing to get better and better :)

Tegamal
March 12th, 2007, 12:20
I should be getting my M3 Simply in the mail today (USPS tracking sucks), & I can't wait to try this out!

Mikaa
March 12th, 2007, 13:55
Nice list of features! Glad to see that improvements were possibe.

Will try later once my DS recharges...

Mikaa

metroplex2k7
March 12th, 2007, 15:44
Keep up the good work, hope you'll work on the flickering text problem on RPG's. But great work thus far.

poohead
March 12th, 2007, 16:09
hey, thanks for anwering my question,

but now i feel even more of an idiot, like i know it must seem like us noobies are always asking the same question over and over and never getting the point - so here's the thing

for the last couple of hours i ve been trying to figure out how to use the dldi, i mean i ve patched the SNEmuld.nds file (right click with windows), i had a nice command prompt telling me that everything went ok, but i have no idea what i'm meant to do with it now, i gues i was expecting it to turn into a program file similer to what i ve used (Execute the makesnemulds.bat file) but it just looks the same to me :(

ok, i know i m a moron, but please could someone throw me a bone?

metroplex2k7
March 12th, 2007, 16:24
When you patch it, just load it and play it. There is nothing more you do with it.

souLLy
March 12th, 2007, 16:29
hey, thanks for anwering my question,

but now i feel even more of an idiot, like i know it must seem like us noobies are always asking the same question over and over and never getting the point - so here's the thing

for the last couple of hours i ve been trying to figure out how to use the dldi, i mean i ve patched the SNEmuld.nds file (right click with windows), i had a nice command prompt telling me that everything went ok, but i have no idea what i'm meant to do with it now, i gues i was expecting it to turn into a program file similer to what i ve used (Execute the makesnemulds.bat file) but it just looks the same to me :(

ok, i know i m a moron, but please could someone throw me a bone?

Copy the nds file to your ds card, and put your roms in a folder called SNES. That really is it, just run it then.

poohead
March 12th, 2007, 16:35
but there's nothing to play, i just can t get the emulator to work, surely i need a game to play, snemulds is not a game its an emulator, and if i put it in my ds as a ds file it just shows a blank screen, i guess i ve done something tremendously stupid its just i cant figure out what

poohead
March 12th, 2007, 17:13
what i mean is that i ve put the snes roms in a folder in the route directory and put the snemulds.nds file in the cards route direstory, but when i play the snemulds file i get a blank screen, what am i doing wrong?

Sonny_Jim
March 12th, 2007, 17:30
Just tried it with Killer Instinct. Some of the graphics are better that the previous release, but it's mostly unplayable. The only one I found so far that would run it ok was SnezziDS.

Tegamal
March 12th, 2007, 19:38
While far from perfect, this works well for some games.

maqkarra
March 12th, 2007, 20:44
awesome

Shejken
March 12th, 2007, 23:37
Great stuff!!!

My question: Im new on the DS homebrew scene, and I wonder, is there anyway to run this on a ds-x? (I have a slot 2 card aswell, used it for my GBA)

Thanks!

TeenDev
March 12th, 2007, 23:57
sweet nice update!!Keep improving smelDS and it'll be awesome!One day it'll be 100% complete

I dont think an emulator could be 100% complete cuz then it'd be the hardware itself

skipboris
March 13th, 2007, 00:35
skipboris, check out http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

I just finished creating the newest chart and adding about 5 games to it, but there are still tons more games to try. You can look at the older charts though for a rough idea. All three DKC games surely work fine now, though I've only officially tested the first one. I briefly tried DKC2 and was glad to see that it got fixed in this new version. Haven't tried DKC3 yet, but it was working very well in the beta version.

Archeide has said that he's going to try to get the line-by-line engine working better for the next version, which should help Chrono Trigger greatly.
hey thanks for the info. But how do you save your game on supercard lite?

DanTheManMS
March 13th, 2007, 00:43
Just save in-game and then hit the "Save SRAM" option on the touchscreen. This should automatically create a .srm file on your card with the save data.

Poohead, try appending a header to the file so that it's like a .ds.gba file. I've heard of other G6 users that got it to work after this. Either try dragging it onto the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher program or try appending ndsmall.bin or ndsloader.bin to the front of the file using the command shell and the copy command.

Tripsk8er333
March 13th, 2007, 06:52
WOW! This is the best one yet. Most of the games I tested worked at 100%. This is Great. Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

Can't wait for the next release, this just keeps getting better and better. :)

HaTaX
March 13th, 2007, 08:15
Any special prep we should do to the roms? Better with FAT32 vs FAT(16)?

I've tried Super Mario All Stars and only Super Mario 2 is really playable in the batch.. None of the others work either. (SuperMarioRPG, SuperMetriod, & TMNT5)

Just wondering if perhaps I should be rom trimming or prepping these roms at all, they are currently in the standard SMC format.

saviorxxx
March 13th, 2007, 18:16
anyone get SF2 working? The author reports it as working, but i still get the same bug. if this bug was fixed a good amount of games would run..

Hatax. FAT32 doesnt really help in 1-2gb cards. stick with FAT16. the part that matters is the cluster size. use 64k

skipboris
March 13th, 2007, 20:19
Just save in-game and then hit the "Save SRAM" option on the touchscreen. This should automatically create a .srm file on your card with the save data.

Poohead, try appending a header to the file so that it's like a .ds.gba file. I've heard of other G6 users that got it to work after this. Either try dragging it onto the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher program or try appending ndsmall.bin or ndsloader.bin to the front of the file using the command shell and the copy command.
thanks for the tip, this project is great!

toymin80r
March 13th, 2007, 23:39
Street Fighter works, but the backgrounds buggy so i just disabled that layer (all SF's i know of work, including SSF). This is a amazing update just because of this ability to play SF and other roms i couldnt play before. If only Picodrive had sound and ran a couple of games better.

guntimsunderstudy
March 13th, 2007, 23:45
Nice work

poohead
March 15th, 2007, 09:50

Poohead, try appending a header to the file so that it's like a .ds.gba file. I've heard of other G6 users that gop it to work after this. Either try dragging it onto the Supercard Magic Homebrew Patcher program or try appending ndsmall.bin or ndsloader.bin to the front of the file using the command shell and the copy command.

thank you so much for helping me out, it worked like a dream :D

poohead
March 19th, 2007, 09:58
hey, does the save option work with all ds cards? because when i press save sram (on my g6) it just freezes up, though if i use an in game save option like in mario it creates an sram file straight to the card. but only works using in game load. any ideas? thanks

crookedmouth
March 20th, 2007, 00:31
When I save I use the Save State and I load with Load State,I thought sram is for non-libfat like gba carts? Anyway use the Save/Load states.

DanTheManMS
March 20th, 2007, 00:38
Save SRAM is similar to what PC emulators do automatically. It sends the contents of the SRAM to a *.srm file on your card, ready for continuation the next time you boot up.

crookedmouth
March 20th, 2007, 02:13
So SRAM saves work for you? I've only used save states.

DanTheManMS
March 20th, 2007, 04:07
It works fine for me, yes. You just have to save in-game first.

poohead
March 20th, 2007, 08:15
i'm sure i read somewhere that the save and load states don't work with the g6. (I still get the frozen screen) Though with picodriveds the load and save states work fine :S