PDA

View Full Version : Piracy "pushed" id to create multiplatform games

wraggster
March 12th, 2007, 18:01
id Software's CEO Todd Hollenshead has revealed that videogame piracy "has pushed id as being multiplatform."

In a lecture on videogame piracy during last week's GDC, he explained that the Doom and Quake developer started to eye console platforms as a method to battle the financial loss piracy incurs.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars was given as an example of id's multiplatform direction. Originally in development for PC at the hands of Splash Damage and id Software, the multiplayer-focussed action game is now additionally heading to Xbox 360 and PS3.

In related news, the topic of videogame piracy was brought up in during a panel discussion focussing on the future of PC gaming at GDC last week.

In the discussion, Soren Johsnon - designer/lead programmer, Sid Meier's Civilization III & IV - said "game design on the PC is going to bend toward persistence" as in MMOGs. Massively multiplayer online games succeed because "You cannot pirate an MMO. Period", said Johsnon

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159754)

hadrian
March 12th, 2007, 19:26
Hurray for piracy!

feradais
March 12th, 2007, 19:35
I personally dont condone piracy.

And for those who try to justify it its like trying to justify shooting babies cause thier crying.

They may be annoying while thier crying, But thier worth the wait.

Just like buying a game.

Ok, i dont know where im going with this.

I guess what i mean is,
wrong.

You can pirate an mmo.

Free servers are a bitch arn't they?

Broadus
March 12th, 2007, 21:48
What's wrong with multi-platforming in the first place? I'm a PC gamer myself, but it's nice when everyone can share in the deliciousness of multi-platform games. I especially love first-person-shooters, and it annoys the Hell out of me when a really good FPS is only released on some video game console I don't own.
They're scaring me with their talk of concentrating on making PC games mainly just MMO. I like playing FPSs and RTSs on my PC, and though the RTS genre is still safely remaining on the PC for the most-part, it seems that shooters aren't being released on the PC as much anymore. I mean, ever since Call of Duty 2 for the XBOX 360 being an overpopulated hit, they apparently decided to stop making PC Call of Duty games.

Going with what feradais said, people can indeed create their own servers for most MMORPGs which anyone can play on. Games like World of Warcraft and Ultima Online are subject to this. Still, free servers have extremely low populations because there hardly anyone knows about free servers in comparison to those that do. Also, with the excessive amounts of free servers, everyone's divided. In the end, just playing on the official servers is more appealing.

nal
March 13th, 2007, 00:52
But piracy is easy on all platforms so why just single out pc's? I for one love my pc and love fps games and all others on it. I find I can do more on my pc games than any console out. But I do love multi-platform as long as they include pc in there. though they do need to make it all compatable where i can play halo 3 on my pc vs xbox 360 people.

SSaxdude
March 13th, 2007, 00:55
They should multiplatform in the in the first place to sell more copies of their games.

Ichijoe
March 13th, 2007, 10:56
Gee it No-One would ever suspect that it might have to do w/+€500.00(EUR) Video Cards (x2), pluse the fact that by this time most ~sane~ People are fackn' tired of the same tired old FPS/TPS Egoshooters.

Unlike the PC at least you have some choice beit if only Sports or Beat'em-up's.
These are the **REASONS** why I went Console Last gen. (XBOX™), and why I chose the Console over the PC again in this Generation. (XBOX360™).
At least there's a semblance of a more 'Balanced' Platform w/decent Graphics at an (and I use the next Term loosely), affordable Price.

Gee is it any wonder why everyones ditching the PC for Consoles Yet?!?

kaffie
March 13th, 2007, 11:11
I agree with you Ichijoe.

Far better to shell out one lump sum for a console and have it for its entire life-cycle than to spend far more in updating your PC every 6 months - forever.

Ramza042
March 14th, 2007, 00:27
I have to agree with ichijoe too, I just put myself together a pentium 4, 3 ghz hyperthreading, 512 ddr ram, 256 ddr geforce fx5600. It's a pretty good system for light gaming, but I've got about $400 in it. While Half-life 2, which requires "1.2 ghz 256mb ram" runs flawless; Halo, which requires "733 mhz 128mb ram" runs like CRAP! I think multiplatforming is okay, but for the love of GOD, when you code the PC version, code it to actually RUN on a budget PC.

But yea, multiplatforming does not stop piracy, you can't stop it. China has one of the biggest black markets of pirated goods in the world. They also have one heck if a counterfitting ring. They even counterfitted a Ferrari. :D

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C7622/

acn010
March 14th, 2007, 00:39
to tell you the truth... i dont care if its a bootleg game or not... its the same crap... but only one thing..... the company is loosing money... not me XD

Cap'n 1time
March 14th, 2007, 02:01
Wait.. wolfET is heading to the consoles??? not Quake Wars ET, but wolfET? Wow... thats pretty sweet....

Ramza042
March 14th, 2007, 16:32
Wait.. wolfET is heading to the consoles??? not Quake Wars ET, but wolfET? Wow... thats pretty sweet....

Que? Where did it say wolfenstein?

Cap'n 1time
March 14th, 2007, 20:34
Que? Where did it say wolfenstein?

I got confused by the splash damage comments. I didn't know they were doing Quake Wars:ET too. I thought the name was just a coincidence... my bad. I do hope it plays like wolfET though. :)