PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Home - who thought of it first?

wraggster
March 12th, 2007, 18:11
via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=159730)

Sony's online service, PS3 Home, has been met with much praise, but its competitors claim it's nothing new.

Last week Nintendo told CVG that PS3 Home "is an example of Sony's 'Mii-too' approach", claiming that Miyamoto decided against creating such a service years ago.

Miyamoto has also been quoted as saying: "We've been working on this idea of twenty years and never been able to turn it into much of anything," reports Jolt.

"The view was it would be very popular with creative artists. But the view was it was too complicated and would make most players frustrated," commented Miyamoto.

At last week's GDC a Microsoft spokesperson told CVG: "I think they've definitely taken some concepts that we originated like achievements, but I think they're pushing in a different direction and we've sort of fundamentally got two different approaches going on here.

"I think there's very much a vision that people see it and it looks cool but it's fundamentally separate from the games - or at least what they've shown so far. It's a cool world but it's like a little game by itself. Our approach is the other way around; it's that games are the centre and that's the star of the show, that's what people buy the console for."

We say what does it matter? PS3 Home looks awesome and it's great to have a round of consoles that each have their own distinct features.

ElRazur
March 12th, 2007, 18:19
There was a link i saw that it apparently proof that sony had this planned ages ago....

Also assuming sony just picked existing ideas and polished it and then added stuff on to it....what is wrong with it? Others do it , MS do all the time...why not sony? people please get a grip.

UchihaSasuke
March 12th, 2007, 19:04
Nintendo

Do you all remember the miis?

Tree
March 12th, 2007, 21:00
thats all MS do basilcy ... they dont think of much thereselfs its cheaper init

F9zDark
March 13th, 2007, 02:56
Nintendo is just pissed that they tried and failed to deliver, seeing how praise for PS3-Home is universally good, they are now trying to come up and say they did it first.

I highly, ****ing doubt Nintendo EVER had plans for such a service. Why? Because Nintendo doesn't think enough outside the box. Why, simply look at the games that have been on their consoles for the last 15 years.

None of them even remotely try to be unique, with the DS and Wii being Nintendo's first stab at it. I really doubt they ever had plans in the past to make such a service and considering how Nintendo handled Miis, I cannot imagine they ever entertained the idea of a giving players a personal space and interaction with fellows in such a way that Home provides.

Honestly, if they ever did consider it, why not include it with Miis? The sports games especially keep track of one's scores and playing abilities and habits, how hard would it have been to create a small Mii-House and put such data available for other users?

No I am sorry, this is just typical company BULLSHITTING to undermine a good idea. They hope that people will believe it, because they can 'claim' Sony stole motion sensing controllers...

ElRazur
March 13th, 2007, 09:43
^^^ Thank god you and i aint fooled man. I wonder how many people will buy the idea that nintendo or ms did it first.....

jdnation
March 13th, 2007, 19:00
Maybe for all Nintendo's innovation... it shows that they simply couldn't think simply for the last 10 years :p

Maybe Nintendo found that players would get too frustrated and complexed with the approach because they made players try and navigate it with a Wii-mote :rofl: