PDA

View Full Version : Dope Wars for Dreamcast

wraggster
April 29th, 2005, 21:56
<a href="http://www.dchomebrew.org/kamjin/" target="_blank" >Kamjin</a> has made a welcome return to the Dreamcast scene with a new port of an old text based game called Dope Wars, download it from <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/dopewars.shtml" target="_blank" >Here</a>.

GPF
April 29th, 2005, 22:07
cool welcome back Kamjin :) Excellent release.

Christuserloeser
April 30th, 2005, 00:16
Yeah, welcome back Kamjin :)

Kamjin
April 30th, 2005, 00:29
Thanks Fellas :D but I'm never really gone I'm always lurking :cool: here in the forums during my lunch breaks.

Also, a Thank you to Eric for this one, I was originally writing a pimp wars from scratch and he came across the source for it, and passed it along

quzar
April 30th, 2005, 00:33
which Dope wars is this based on? (ive seen at least 3 versions online)

Kamjin
April 30th, 2005, 03:03
It's from some odd DOS version instead of the usual loan shark you start out oweing "Vinnie" from the start.

Original exe+source is here if u want a look.. it's written in early Borlandish C..
http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/library/PROGRAMS/DOORS/DOPEWARS/dopewars.zip

Eric
April 30th, 2005, 03:13
Well its good to see you back my friend and congrats on this release. Hope all is going well.

Eric

quzar
April 30th, 2005, 03:14
oo, when i tried at it, i went with like 2 other versiions that use sdl and one with curses =p.

Eric
April 30th, 2005, 03:22
LOL ask me i can most of the time find sources that are portable. I tell you guys i know sources well i just dont know how to port and if i did i would be doing a good job at trying to get it to work on DC. Now i do know all have jobs and have a life and the thing with my port requests its sparetime work i didnt expect people to run out and do it. Its your choice with what you do with them but dont run over me saying "I WANTED YOU GUYS TO DO THEM". Not saying anything in anger but i am thinking that i dont get respect cause you think i have no respect for the coders and think there lives are based on just making games. The thing is i know you all have lives and there is many things other then video games and making video games in life. Have a good night and i hope you all enjoy Kamjins release.

Eric

Eric

wraggster
April 30th, 2005, 10:14
nice to see you back Kamjin with another cool homebrew release for the Dreamcast Community.

Eric
April 30th, 2005, 12:08
Kamjin only one noticable bug that i have found and its miner. Pressing to many buttons on the keyboard could lock the game unless of course i pressed the wrong button lol. Anyways great game and cant wait to see the save function and what your doing for sound.

Eric

Kamjin
May 1st, 2005, 04:39
oo, when i tried at it, i went with like 2 other versiions that use sdl and one with curses =p.

I tried the same one's :) a while back also.. amazing how "portable" code using cross platform libs can be so unportable at times.
With this version I was able to get it partially working quicker than I was able to get the others compiling, but dead in the water.

Kamjin only one noticable bug that i have found and its miner. Pressing to many buttons on the keyboard could lock the game unless of course i pressed the wrong button lol. Anyways great game and cant wait to see the save function and what your doing for sound.

I just tried that before and I reproduced it, so I'll have to take a look why it's doing it, nice catch!
I've got the original sound partially working, but... it's sounds horrible, so I'm going to swap it for free midi tunes, and sound effects.
I've also gotta make the random a little more random, if you play it enough you'll start to notice some patterns.
If I also have some extra free time in the next few weeks I'm going to expand the game a bit, and maybe convert the interface to something graphical.

nice to see you back Kamjin with another cool homebrew release for the Dreamcast Community.
Thanks Wraggs! It's a little something for us old timers to enjoy

Cap'n 1time
May 2nd, 2005, 14:42
dope wars is the shiznite. i dont really remember kamjin, but i think i like him now.

MetaFox
May 3rd, 2005, 00:21
Thanks for the game indeed, Kamjin. You always know the right games to port to make us old timers very happy. :P

Dopewars mirror and SBI (http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/ports/dopewars.shtml) if anyone's interested.

Kamjin
May 3rd, 2005, 14:50
Thanks for the game indeed, Kamjin. You always know the right games to port to make us old timers very happy. :P

Dopewars mirror and SBI (http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/ports/dopewars.shtml) if anyone's interested.

Now if only the young one's would take the time to appreciate a classic!

obelisk
May 4th, 2005, 04:27
I'm a standard dc controller user, no keyboard.
I can't seem to get out of the "-T-ransfer D---" dialog. I tried everything and
it doesn't seem to count how many units of stuff i got in the "Yo Stash" left column. after i buy, or sell.
There is noway to access a Q for Quit or L for Leave.
Another time in the Transfer thing, i was going to try X, for functions, then Q to quit.
No dice. So, i just started up pushing lotsa numbers then i Hit start, and the screen filled with numbers- and that left column thing was showing numbers instead of zeros under "yo Stash". Then i mpunched a bunch more stuff, and hit start a gain, and the screen turned black with a white cursor in the left corner.
Oh, yeah, also, i almost forgot, i bought a gun (AK47) as soon as i hit Start to close the deal, the next line of text was up and said it got stolen.

So im trying different ways to play around with this, and i find new stuff every time i do, i'm gonna try my best to note anything that pops up at me as not normal-ish, and post it as soon as possible.

*this is just wishful thinking here*: I think it would maybe be neat if there was a way we could have different dialog choices and drugs/ times / places possibly, like if you want to be in a Hip Hop style gangbaner thing in 90's t Current or a Rocker in 90's to current, and say L.A., New York, U.K. then like, mods and hippies, grunge-heads in the 90's, clubbers and ravers and bikers. Oh My!
I dig the translation, it rocks, i hope i didn't step on no feet man. Thanks people!

Eric
May 4th, 2005, 16:13
Good Job Obelisk it seems more of the bugs happen from using a controller and i think the reason is the game was never written for controller language. Its good that Kamjin is here and made the very first DopeWars that would support a controller but that includes alot of fixing to do aswell. Anyways once again Kamjin great job on this cool port and i was wondering if you got that other port we were talking about to work with the sources i handed over :).

Eric

Kamjin
May 5th, 2005, 16:26
I'm a standard dc controller user, no keyboard.
I can't seem to get out of the "-T-ransfer D---" dialog. I tried everything and
it doesn't seem to count how many units of stuff i got in the "Yo Stash" left column. after i buy, or sell.
There is noway to access a Q for Quit or L for Leave.
Another time in the Transfer thing, i was going to try X, for functions, then Q to quit.
No dice. So, i just started up pushing lotsa numbers then i Hit start, and the screen filled with numbers- and that left column thing was showing numbers instead of zeros under "yo Stash". Then i mpunched a bunch more stuff, and hit start a gain, and the screen turned black with a white cursor in the left corner.

There's still controller stuff missing, I had put it in right in the end, so there's no safety catches on it, next build should have it completely done (hopefully this weekend).

Oh, yeah, also, i almost forgot, i bought a gun (AK47) as soon as i hit Start to close the deal, the next line of text was up and said it got stolen.

This is the random bug, if you ever get the gun right away, it always gets stolen, the game shouldn't be offering a gun until you have a chance of keeping it. This should also be fixed on th next release.

So im trying different ways to play around with this, and i find new stuff every time i do, i'm gonna try my best to note anything that pops up at me as not normal-ish, and post it as soon as possible.

*this is just wishful thinking here*: I think it would maybe be neat if there was a way we could have different dialog choices and drugs/ times / places possibly, like if you want to be in a Hip Hop style gangbaner thing in 90's t Current or a Rocker in 90's to current, and say L.A., New York, U.K. then like, mods and hippies, grunge-heads in the 90's, clubbers and ravers and bikers. Oh My!
I dig the translation, it rocks, i hope i didn't step on no feet man. Thanks people!

This actually sounds cool, once It's stable, I'll see if I can addin some sort of themes, and some sort of missions like the more modern versions of this game.

obelisk
May 6th, 2005, 05:13
Thank you, very much, for the interest in my rambles.
I was wondering if u'd like some elctronic music, i can get you stuff on studio tape. or if i can convert it here i will, but i dont think the machine's that good.
thanks again-

obelisk
May 17th, 2005, 00:08
Bump for Dreamcast.

obelisk
May 21st, 2005, 00:28
Bump for Dreamcast.
Any news?

obelisk
July 17th, 2005, 20:25
Has this been laid to rest? / Any news from Kamjin?

Kamjin
July 18th, 2005, 23:33
Has this been laid to rest? / Any news from Kamjin?

Didn't notice this getting bumped a couple of times $)
Still working on it (rather slowly) I've got two versions one original
that's almost working perfect.. still gotta figure a better method of controller input.. and a 2nd I've started that's more (cheezy) graphical so it will play better with controller (and easier to theme).. 2-3 more weekends I should have the 1st out, and I might be able to combine the two and realease it as 1.

obelisk
July 19th, 2005, 08:57
wooot! thankz

obelisk
July 22nd, 2005, 02:10
can i score a screenshot off ya?

obelisk
July 22nd, 2005, 22:05
Make sure to pop a Adults Only Rating on this sucker, it is called "dope Wars", yes, but people, and parents are blind, and maybe with the mod-ability posssible, maybe we can piss off the senate too. ;) i want to write a scenario or do a skin for dope wars that freaks everyone out, or at least is kinda cool!

obelisk
July 29th, 2005, 16:11
i am so like, dying for a screenshot of this.

Eric
August 3rd, 2005, 18:20
I think Kamjin is continueing work on Dope Wars but hold on people he is really busy with work and family. He is doing small progress but in the small time it will be released and i believe you will be surprised cause Kamjin has never failed to make great ports and modding great ports.

Eric

obelisk
August 7th, 2005, 22:13
no worries, i was just bumping up the post and asking for a screenshot, i can be patient, i have every bit of faith in him, and i'm so darn busy i can't even play the xbox i just got or the new dreamcast stuff. too much to do.