PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Microsoft Making Positive Reddit Comments

wraggster
June 10th, 2013, 13:51
Just like the rumors of EA playing games with sites after SimCity launch, now a Reddit poster claims she has seen Microsoft employees doing massive 'reputation management' on social sites

A recent poster on Reddit by name of 'mistysilver' has created its own shitstorm of comments so much so that Reddit had to step in and remove her post, as she claimed that Microsoft employees are doing massive downvoting of negative XB1 comments, and voting up positive ones and making their own positive comments. -- These same rumors happen before with EA and their DRM-Locked SimCity!

While at Microsoft for a meeting, Misty Silver saw and overheard some employees on Reddit. She looked at one of the employee's screens:

"I noticed he was mass-downvoting a ton of posts and comments, and he kept switching to other tabs to make posts and comments of his own. I couldn't make out exactly what he was posting, but I presumed he was doing RM (reputation management) and asked my boss about it later. According to my boss, MS have[sic] just brought in a huge sweep of SMM managers to handle reputation management for the Xbox One," Silver reported.

"Reputation management" is the term social media marketers use to "pose as happy customers" on social media sites. They upvote/downvote and make comments.

In the last year or so, Reddit has become a prime target for reputation management, Misty Silver says.

BusinessInsider contacted Microsoft regarding this rumor and of course M$ claims they have no knowledge of it happening, but since this 'mistysilver' appeared Reddit ended up with their own shitstorm and as such had to remove her post and provided this update regarding the rumors:

Microsoft told us, "There is no coordinated or sanctioned effort by Microsoft employees, or anyone paid by Microsoft, to unduly influence Reddit or other online forums."

Shortly after, the content of Misty Silver's post was removed, but the comment string on the post is still there (and it's hilarious).

We reached out to the moderators and asked why it was taken down. Redditor airmandan, the moderator from the /r/gaming subreddit, told us:

"We have not been contacted by anyone at Microsoft. The post that was removed consisted entirely of speculation and unfounded allegations. There is no rule against posting such in /r/gaming. However, the result of the post has been a completely out-of-control freight train of people posting personal information (in violation of Reddit rule 3) and engaging in vote manipulation (in violation of Reddit rule 2). If our users need to have a session of two-minutes'-hate, they will have to do it in a way that doesn't violate two of reddit's five only rules at the same time."

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EFZpZVpkVVtutFvMni.php