PDA

View Full Version : Xbox One third party publishers still in the dark over pre-owned DRM

wraggster
June 12th, 2013, 00:19
One of Microsoft's most high-profile Xbox One publishing partners has still not been briefed on Microsoft's pre-owned DRM.
Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt has admitted that it is “eager to find out more” about Microsoft's plans, especially as it has historically been a vocal supporter of DRM free games. Indeed, it has made a business out of it – it owns digital retailer Good Old Games which only sells titles that are free of DRM.
"We have not received anything from Microsoft until today on this one and, before we form any definite opinions here, we would like to have this process explained in details by the platform holder,” CD Projekt co-founder and joint CEO Marcin Iwi?ski told Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-11-staunchly-anti-drm-witcher-3-dev-cd-projekt-responds-to-xbox-one-policy-concerns).
"From our side, we will be of course looking for the most gamer friendly solution. We strongly believe in the freedom of choice and voting with your wallet. I would disagree that it would do any good if we decided to abandon one of the platforms, especially when we have the capacity to create games for it.
"We have no influence on the decisions of platform holders, neither Microsoft's or Sony's, but there is a platform where we can decide what we think works best for the gamers, and that's the PC."
Iwi?ski even went on to issue what could rightly be interpreted as a veiled dig at Microsoft, saying that consumers will vote with their wallets and that his company will not be forced into anything it is uncomfortable with.
"I am sure that a lot of gamers will choose one of the consoles for its convenience and easiness of use - that's fine, and by doing so they will agree to whatever rules the platform holder will impose,” he added.
"Ultimately it's the gamers who will call the shots.
"What I can, however, guarantee here and now, is that if you want the 100 per cent DRM-free experience you will have it on the PC, the platform where we set the rules for our games. The Witcher 3 will be available 100 per cent DRM-free on our digital distribution platform GOG.com, and that's one thing I can confirm."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-third-party-publishers-still-in-the-dark-over-pre-owned-drm/0117030