PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Xbox One backlash was "kind of as we expected"

wraggster
June 14th, 2013, 00:37
The Xbox One is a market-changing system. And consumers don’t like change.
That’s the message from Xbox’s chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi who confessed to Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/microsoft-defends-the-xbox-ones-licensing-used-game-policies/)that the negative reaction to the company’s pre-owned and online policies was "kind of as we expected".
"We're trying to do something pretty big in terms of moving the industry forward for console gaming into the digital world,” he stated. “We believe the digital world is the future, and we believe digital is better."
The exec went on to highlight the changes experienced in the movie sector where digital growth has led to an arguably far superior user experience. Gone are the days of travelling to the store, renting a disc and then later returning it. Now this is done from the convenience of home over the internet.
The Xbox One, he argues, marks the beginning of a similar market transition for video games that will open up a world of new diverse business models for consumers and publishers.

"I think we've found a great balance across all
of those dimensions. But there are trade-offs.
We do want to support everyone in that system,
beginning with the consumer. But we want
publishers to get paid for the great IP they
work on. We want retailers to be able to drive
and sell our products and make a profit. So
we are trying to balance across all those."And he believes that the benefits this offers to consumers will in time outweigh any compromises that must be made.
"As you go into a digital world, what's happening is publishers are choosing to have different business models, and consumers are saying 'Hey, if I can't resell the title, provide me a different way to get value to get into your game',” he argued.
“And we think the market will be efficient in finding good models that work for consumers.
"Within that, we've tried to optimize, and I think we've found a great balance across all of those dimensions. But there are trade-offs. We do want to support everyone in that system, beginning with the consumer. But we want publishers to get paid for the great IP they work on. We want retailers to be able to drive and sell our products and make a profit. So we are trying to balance across all those.
"I think it's fair to say there's a segment of consumers at this show in particular who really pay attention, who are very passionate about all aspects of gaming, and that we listen to closely. In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details. We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/microsoft-xbox-one-backlash-was-kind-of-as-we-expected/0117140