PDA

View Full Version : PS3 to Cure Disease

Shrygue
March 15th, 2007, 18:38
via IGN (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/772/772929p1.html)

Although most people are getting a PS3 to fight aliens and race cars round tracks, a innovative new feature that sees PS3s linking together to fight incurable diseases, launches later this month.

Folding@Home is a joint venture between Sony and Stanford University in America. It aims to map the way that genes change shape (or 'fold'), so they can be studied by scientists and, potentially, cure illnesses such as Parkinson's or a variety of cancers.

PS3 owners can get involved in the Folding@Home project by downloading a firmware update, available by the end of the month, which adds a new icon to the cross media bar. When opened, Folding@Home starts processing a 'work unit', which is one section of an entire folding programme. Unfortunately no games can be played and you can't watch Blu-ray discs while the programme is running.

After completing one 'work unit' the console then sends the information to Stanford's servers next time it goes online and is given a new unit to start unravelling. The console doesn't even need to be online while running the Folding@Home function because it automatically updates every time the console is taken online.

Although it may sound like the stuff of science fiction, if enough PS3 owners choose to help with the initiative, it could potentially halve the time needed to complete a full gene folding simulation.

Leave feedback via comments.

eatnooM
March 15th, 2007, 19:12
That's quite cool, I've heard of this tool before but until now was unaware about it coming to the PS3 =)

mavsman4457
March 16th, 2007, 18:42
Hopefully it doesn't require us to update. I want to help out.

F9zDark
March 17th, 2007, 01:13
Hopefully it doesn't require us to update. I want to help out.

Sadly it does, it says so in the article: "PS3 owners can get involved in the Folding@Home project by downloading a firmware update, available by the end of the month".

This is sorta like Seti @ Home, which installs a program on one's computer and runs during a screensaver, which analyzes the plethora of radio emissions from space, searching for ones that may be purposely transmitted by sentient life elsewhere.

I would certainly dedicate some PS3 power to the cause.