PDA

View Full Version : Orchestra not needed in Twilight Princess, says Kondo

wraggster
March 15th, 2007, 21:07
Nintendo's game music guru, Koji Kondo, says that he "didn't see the need" for fully orchestrated music in Twilight Princess.

According to the highly respected composer, who's responsible for much of the music in Mario and Zelda games, the decision not to use an orchestra was not influenced by a lack of cash or time.

"In the end it was not about the time or budget; we had the time and the budget, and it wasn't a Nintendo philosophical stance", Kondo told IGN.

"Basically while we were working on the game and creating the music, we never really felt that this was a place that needed a full orchestra. We never got the feeling that 'Oh this would be a place that could make more of an impact with a full orchestra'. We just didn't see the need for it this time," he explained.

The only orchestrated piece in the whole game is the powerful score that backs the "attract" movie, which you can see if you leave the game idle for a few moments on the title screen . It's an awesome piece, too - which leads us to wonder how amazing the game would have sounded were it entirely orchestrated.

What do you think? Would TP have been an even more immesive experience with an orchestra? Let us know in the comments section below.

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160071)

sonikku88
March 16th, 2007, 00:03
I don't think an orchestra would have made much of a difference. The music is awesome whether it's real or midi.

kcajblue
March 16th, 2007, 00:49
orchestras make music sound better.

alienanthropologist
March 16th, 2007, 11:16
Music sounds the same whether it's real or midi???

Come on, people.... Orchestra is decisively better in every respect. I'm disappointed TP didn't have orchestrated music, especially if it was something that was within their possibilities.

I hope the next Zelda on Wii does have fully orchestrated music.