PDA

View Full Version : Please help - Recovery mode is black.

Skematik
March 16th, 2007, 17:14
I'd first like to say thanks to everyone in this forum as this community has given a great deal of time and effort to help everyone else. I have been able to downgrade 4 PSPs so far (both TA-082 and previous ones) without much of a hitch by simply reading everything already posted up in here. I have however encountered an odd issue that I couldn't find in this forum anywhere yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
The last PSP I downgraded for a friend, is a brand new TA-082 like mine. When I downgraded his from the 3.03 to 1.50, I got pretty nervous after the fact when his screen was all black once downgraded to 1.50 and manually restarted. I thought for sure I somehow missed something and bricked it. While referring back to read me notes, I looked over again at his PSP (which was still turned on) and I saw the screen was there. I thought, hey, I didn't brick it after all, so I proceeded to check out the menu to make sure it was indeed 1.50 and to begin the 3.03OE-C upgrade,....... but...... every single button press makes the screen go black, for about 1 minute again, before returning. Now, this only did this issue while in 1.50, so it took me a while to navigate through the menu to finally be able to upgrade to a custom FW since I had to wait about a minute in between each button press. I could hear the "click" "click" of the button presses, but just couldn't see the screen. So,... anyway, I nervously continue to upgared to custom FW 3.03 OE-C which went successfully, even with this issue. Now once I got into 3.03 OE-C, everything seemed fine and dandy and didn't do this issue any longer. Until however, I went to show my buddy the recovery menu and how to use it. When attempting the recovery mode boot, everything was black and I thought something again was very wrong or partially bricked, but I realized again, that if I waited about 1 minute, that the recovery menu would indeed show itself. Now that alone wouldn't have been too annoying, except again for the fact that every time I press any button at all, the screen again goes black for another minute making recovery mode very time consuming to navigate and to make any changes or anything. Booting back normal in the 3.03OE-C worked fine.
Well, that night I took my TA-082 PSP and another which were at 3.03 OE-C and downgraded and upgraded to 3.10 OE-A which went fine and predictable. The following day I was prepared to do the same with my buddy's PSP but we found that for some reason, it now didn't do that issue in recovery mode. (I should've left it alone at that, however eventually we would've wanted to upgrade to a new custom FW anyway as they continue to evolve).
Well, I proceeded to downgrade his and upgrade it to 3.10 OE-A and it did the same issue in 1.50 again. Once I upgraded to 3.10 OE-A everything was fine other than the recovery mode, which now 1 week later still has a black screen delay before showing the recovery menu at all, and goes black after any button pressing at all. Other than the black screen issue, everything in recovery mode seems to work fine. All of the settings in the recovery mode also match that of the settings on my other PSP units.
I know the post is long, but I wanted to give as thorough of an explanation as possible for anyone that's able to help me out. I thank you all in advance for your time and efforts in helping me to cure this issue, and hope that this thread can eventually be of some use to anyone else out there whom may also have this experience as well.

Loki120
March 16th, 2007, 17:25
I'd first like to say thanks to everyone in this forum as this community has given a great deal of time and effort to help everyone else. I have been able to downgrade 4 PSPs so far (both TA-082 and previous ones) without much of a hitch by simply reading everything already posted up in here. I have however encountered an odd issue that I couldn't find in this forum anywhere yet, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
The last PSP I downgraded for a friend, is a brand new TA-082 like mine. When I downgraded his from the 3.03 to 1.50, I got pretty nervous after the fact when his screen was all black once downgraded to 1.50 and manually restarted. I thought for sure I somehow missed something and bricked it. While referring back to read me notes, I looked over again at his PSP (which was still turned on) and I saw the screen was there. I thought, hey, I didn't brick it after all, so I proceeded to check out the menu to make sure it was indeed 1.50 and to begin the 3.03OE-C upgrade,....... but...... every single button press makes the screen go black, for about 1 minute again, before returning. Now, this only did this issue while in 1.50, so it took me a while to navigate through the menu to finally be able to upgrade to a custom FW since I had to wait about a minute in between each button press. I could hear the "click" "click" of the button presses, but just couldn't see the screen. So,... anyway, I nervously continue to upgared to custom FW 3.03 OE-C which went successfully, even with this issue. Now once I got into 3.03 OE-C, everything seemed fine and dandy and didn't do this issue any longer. Until however, I went to show my buddy the recovery menu and how to use it. When attempting the recovery mode boot, everything was black and I thought something again was very wrong or partially bricked, but I realized again, that if I waited about 1 minute, that the recovery menu would indeed show itself. Now that alone wouldn't have been too annoying, except again for the fact that every time I press any button at all, the screen again goes black for another minute making recovery mode very time consuming to navigate and to make any changes or anything. Booting back normal in the 3.03OE-C worked fine.
Well, that night I took my TA-082 PSP and another which were at 3.03 OE-C and downgraded and upgraded to 3.10 OE-A which went fine and predictable. The following day I was prepared to do the same with my buddy's PSP but we found that for some reason, it now didn't do that issue in recovery mode. (I should've left it alone at that, however eventually we would've wanted to upgrade to a new custom FW anyway as they continue to evolve).
Well, I proceeded to downgrade his and upgrade it to 3.10 OE-A and it did the same issue in 1.50 again. Once I upgraded to 3.10 OE-A everything was fine other than the recovery mode, which now 1 week later still has a black screen delay before showing the recovery menu at all, and goes black after any button pressing at all. Other than the black screen issue, everything in recovery mode seems to work fine. All of the settings in the recovery mode also match that of the settings on my other PSP units.
I know the post is long, but I wanted to give as thorough of an explanation as possible for anyone that's able to help me out. I thank you all in advance for your time and efforts in helping me to cure this issue, and hope that this thread can eventually be of some use to anyone else out there whom may also have this experience as well.

I had the same issue, press the brightness button, for some reason one of the brightness settings messes up, but the rest work.

Skematik
March 16th, 2007, 17:40
Wow ... yep, that sure did the trick. How odd that his TA-082 does that ... whereas my TA-082, another buddy's TA-082 and my wife's TA-079 both hadn't had that issue. I am curious to how many PSPs would encounter this scenario during a downgrade. I can surely say that it scared me at first. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

hodgy47
March 16th, 2007, 17:50
Wow ... yep, that sure did the trick. How odd that his TA-082 does that ... whereas my TA-082, another buddy's TA-082 and my wife's TA-079 both hadn't had that issue. I am curious to how many PSPs would encounter this scenario during a downgrade. I can surely say that it scared me at first. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

TA-082 psp's that have been downgraded from 2.71 have this problem it is very common, upgrading to a custom firmware usually puts the problem right

(this is 2.71 TA-082 psp that have 2.71 firmware when bought new psp's that have been upgraded to 2.71 dont usally suffer this problem.

ICE
March 16th, 2007, 17:53
yep it happens

Skematik
March 16th, 2007, 17:55
This PSP is 2 weeks old, and my buddy stated that the 2.81 FW that was on it when I began the upgrade downgrade on it, was what had come on it when he bought it the day before. (I don't know for myself what version FW is on the PSPs in the stores right now.)

Maybe the 2.81 FW that comes on the new PSPs contains the same problem that the 2.71 PSPs had I wonder?

hodgy47
March 16th, 2007, 18:02
It is very possible i have only ever downgraded 2.71 ta-082, 2.80 and 3.03 psp's some where ta-082's and never had that problem but 2.81 could well have it, anyone out there had this problem with an original 2.81 psp on ta-082.

Skematik
March 16th, 2007, 18:15
I am sorry. I stand corrected. My buddy just got here and said that his TA-082 did indeed come with 2.71, but that his Metal Gear portable ops had him upgrade to the 2.81 that I saw on it the day after he bought it.

Again, thanks for the extremely prompt and the wealth of information from everyone within this forums community!

axemurderer
March 31st, 2007, 00:21
I have also run into this problem. I thought at first it was the psp units having bad backlights or something. But when It happened to a third unit i started to do some research to see if anyone else was having this problem. I no longer have these units, but I am curious to see if a click of the brightness button fixes this problem..

Thanks to all

axemurderer
March 31st, 2007, 00:22
These units were in fact 2.71 TA boards