PDA

View Full Version : *RUMOR* Sega Saturn games coming to VC?

wraggster
March 16th, 2007, 19:58
via ninevolved (http://www.nintendoevolved.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=387&Itemid=47)

Alot of rumor has been floating around recently, most of it being some new hit games coming to the VC, or possibly even a new console being added. Well now the guys over a Rumor Reporters come up with this story!

The rumor comes from fellow reader Fei34 who claims that a fellow DigiPen employee told him that Sega Saturn games would indeed be making an appearance on the Wii. Although this could still be wells away from becoming true, the fact that DigiPen, a highly respected video-game school in Redmond Washington, has this sort of knowledge is pretty intriguing. Especially by the fact that both Nintendo of America’s offices and DigiPen’s campus actually interconnects by a simple hallway. Could Fei34’s DigiPen source have even closer access to NOA’s employees in which he/she may have gotten the information?

The only thing that Fei34 left me was a confirmation that a “big game was coming.” Whether that’s a Sega Saturn game (like Panzer Dragoon Saga) or not, only time will tell. So don’t dismiss Nintendo’s systems on the Virtual Console as being cemented just yet.

So what do you guys think of this latest rumor? Personally I would be thrilled if it happened, due to the fact I have never play a Sega Saturn!

Broonale
March 16th, 2007, 20:10
I think it would take too long to download and too much space to save on VC.

So I vote FALSE.

They may come out on anthology discs though.

Elven6
March 16th, 2007, 20:14
How would you be able to fit all that stuff onto the wii? Does wii have a harddrive?

ICE
March 16th, 2007, 20:55
yes it has internal memory. no this wont happen.

Gold Line
March 16th, 2007, 21:05
im thinking of getting mario kart 64 but how much space will n64 game take because the internal memory is very small

iniquitous_beast
March 16th, 2007, 21:39
The wii stores VC games on its internal 512mb of flash storage. Saturn games were on 700mb cd's. Perhaps some of the smallest Saturn games would fit, but even they would probably take up over 100mbs of space. Clearly, there is no way this would be practical. Further, the Wii can not access VC games directly from its SD slot. This could be possible via firmware update, but it would still be far too much work to appeal to Nintendo's mainstream target audience. Thus, I also vote FALSE.

JKKDARK
March 16th, 2007, 23:24
Small Saturn games have 300 MB

brainpan
March 17th, 2007, 00:58
You could compress games to make them smaller. I mean seriously, how many Saturn titles used all that availble space? Most of those titles used it for FMV and audio...both of which can be easily compressed. We might not see Panzer Dragoon Saga but Nights, Virtua Fighter, or "hopefully" Virtua Cop could easily be released. In fact if a Saturn title is released I would bet that the first one is either Virtua Fighter or Virtua Cop.

octaviusxx
March 17th, 2007, 01:32
fake!

JKKDARK
March 17th, 2007, 01:56
You could compress games to make them smaller. I mean seriously, how many Saturn titles used all that availble space? Most of those titles used it for FMV and audio...both of which can be easily compressed. We might not see Panzer Dragoon Saga but Nights, Virtua Fighter, or "hopefully" Virtua Cop could easily be released. In fact if a Saturn title is released I would bet that the first one is either Virtua Fighter or Virtua Cop.

Man, you never played any Saturn shooter or arcade port, right? :rolleyes:

shadowprophet
March 17th, 2007, 04:37
This is very "possible". With currently known compression methods/padding removal. Most Saturn games could be compressed into rather downloadable "disc images"

nintendo it seems, prefers to offer downloads in disc image formats they'er easily compressible to much smaller sizes. You can clearly see that by checking out some of the file formats they use via the shop channel.
Sure, its not likey to happen. But still, Its within the realm of reason.

brainpan
March 17th, 2007, 06:19
I'm glad someone smells what I steppin' in. ;)

Cap'n 1time
March 17th, 2007, 07:28
I can see them doing 1 or two games. I am sure they can get games down under 100 megs with todays compression methods. It would be pretty neat to play some of those old saturn games.

Triv1um
March 17th, 2007, 10:05
I think it could be a possibility, I do hope they release 'bug' =D

it would be very possible if they updated the wii shoping channel to read off the sd card. that could have a chance of piracy through.

shade
March 17th, 2007, 10:33
This is a rumor that keeps on coming up again and again. It might actually come true
Nintendo will have to enable the Wii to read downloads via SD card at somewhat, espiecilly when original downloadable games and demos come as they could be 50MB or over.

Everyone is forgetting the USB slots at the back of wii, USB hard drives anyone?

I think it could be a possibility, I do hope they release 'bug' =D

it would be very possible if they updated the wii shoping channel to read off the sd card. that could have a chance of piracy through.

You can already copy VC games to SD card but the Wii can't read them. Piracy does not seem to be an issue here as I think when you download the game something is written to the download file and the registry of the wii so that that VC game is only playable on your wii no matter how mant times you copy it to an SD card and try to play it on another wii.

shadowprophet
March 17th, 2007, 18:59
This is a rumor that keeps on coming up again and again. It might actually come true
Nintendo will have to enable the Wii to read downloads via SD card at somewhat, espiecilly when original downloadable games and demos come as they could be 50MB or over.

Everyone is forgetting the USB slots at the back of wii, USB hard drives anyone?

You can already copy VC games to SD card but the Wii can't read them. Piracy does not seem to be an issue here as I think when you download the game something is written to the download file and the registry of the wii so that that VC game is only playable on your wii no matter how mant times you copy it to an SD card and try to play it on another wii.

lol' you guys dont give the scene enough credit. ;)
If nintendo doesn't allow us to read files from sd. "we" will find a way. Its what our scene does. :thumbup:

shade
March 17th, 2007, 19:24
lol I hope so. Wii mote homebrew sounds good