PDA

View Full Version : Metareview: Call of Duty

wraggster
March 16th, 2007, 21:49
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/16/metareview-call-of-duty/)

Just like the other WWII FPS game on the PSP, Call of Duty has been getting some spectacularly mixed reviews. Who to believe? Are the controls really that great? Are they really that terrible? Message boards across the internet have been producing quite a variety of responses. For once, the critics reviews may not actually inform anyone on the "correct" purchasing decision for this game.

PGNX (88/100) loves the game, although their poorly written review certainly dampens their credibility: "The PSP is not perfectly suited for first person shooters, but this is about as good as it can get."
UGO (87/100) loves the incredibly generous auto-aim: "Call of Duty: Roads to Victory is one of the few must-own titles for the handheld. If you've ever gotten a kick out of picking up a gun and killing evil people in a video game, look no further."
IGN (66/100) hated the controls and the gameplay: "The sluggish and somewhat delayed controls wouldn't be so bad if the gameplay accounted for it, but it doesn't."

Buddy4point0
March 16th, 2007, 22:01
well we all know psp doesnt do fps

SnesR0X
March 16th, 2007, 23:39
It can pull it off if you tweak it enough, Medal of Honour was really fun for me, especially online play, it's great.

superpomme
March 16th, 2007, 23:46
been playing the game for a couple of days and have a mixed review of my own to add. Have been waiting for this to come out for so long and i mussed say imr eally impressed at what they have got into it - it really manages to capture that call of duty feel. lovely graphics and the same feeling of immersion felt through the other games. unlike medal of honour this game actually has missions, the levels arent just botmatches with pickups strewn across the map.
onto the bad bits tho..the controls. spectacularly bad. its really true that the psp fares badly with the lack of its control stick and so to make up for this they should let you choose what you want each button to do. ok so it gives you 4 different control types but all of them suck. im using the one which lets you move around with the stick and sidestep with the shoulder keys but it still falls short of being usable. take holding breath while aiming (to make the shot acurate). the button is on the d pad, next to the stick so you cant press it and aim without first moving your hands around to hold the psp.
Also gravely missing, multiplayer. multiplayer was one of the main parts of cod, and despite all of its faults medal of honour actually pulled that off quite well.

so in all a fantastic game with lovely graphics and gameplay, but a complete arse to control and with a lack of multiplayer

Triv1um
March 16th, 2007, 23:51
It can pull it off if you tweak it enough, Medal of Honour was really fun for me, especially online play, it's great.

indeed, I used to be ranked 12th on m.o.h online before I quit.

Cactus Steak, don't know if you've ever seen me?

factor remix
March 17th, 2007, 01:03
Triv1um xxx I think I remember your name in the list, but no so sure...

jhontikis
March 17th, 2007, 11:53
Im afraid IGN are relatively right to the point.