PDA

View Full Version : CODERS, think about this...

1stvinicius
March 17th, 2007, 07:36
You coders should stop publishing these great stuff for nothing... On one hand you just show us that you are smart and have the talent for this programming stuff but on other hand you only put this job, which is far complex, all the way down to the underground level, showing us the other side of your personality: the stupid one... So you may ask me "why am i putting it down?". The answer: by keep publishing these stuff for free, people become used to get great emulators and/or games in that way and will not accept charges for them anymore. The time for you guys to show that you are capable of doing something great is gone. You already proved it. This profession called "coder" or "programmer" is way too much complex and can be compared to the other big ones out there, like a medic or a lawyer and should deserve the same wage.

So, if you guys want to spend your time on something that will return you some deserved things beyond lots of fans on net boards, start thinking on something bigger... Maybe some other coders are trying to start to earn their lifes in this job (gaming coding) but they feel disapointed when they realise that lots of other coders are wasting their times in front of the computer just to get some fans around the globe...:(

And when I say "start thinking about something bigger" I mean start thinking on a platform that will return you some cash, start to think about beat on the great softhouses' doors out there... You already have a great portfolio online so what are you waiting for??:confused: I must admit, If all of you start to act like this, I will, like other people here, miss the great free stuff I used to download for free but it wouldn't minimize the happines It would give me at the time i began to see that the job got the value it deserved (im studying hard to be a coder).

My main point is: stop underleveling this great profession and go sell your projects. Think big. ;)

PS.: sorry for any hard word i may have used but i couldnt be more clear without using them...

Cap'n 1time
March 17th, 2007, 07:46
I dont understand, there is nothing wrong with having a hobbie, be it in programming or whatever. Besides, do you think Linus Torvalds would be as successful today if he hadn't decided 'WELL I HAVE SOME FREE TIME! LETS MAKE A FREE CLONE OF UNIX!'. These projects are good and usefull, and they help build skills. I dont really understand what your complaint is.

Chameleon
March 17th, 2007, 07:49
Not everything is about money, its to unlock the true potential of the gaming device for a lot us.
Did you think about that?

Triv1um
March 17th, 2007, 10:53
you really don't understand what the homebrew scene is all about do you?

unlocking the full potential of your psp and sharing your work is what its all about.

Cloudhunter
March 17th, 2007, 11:17
People don't code for gain... They code because they enjoy it.

Cloudy

Tetris999
March 17th, 2007, 14:39
yeah people like to learn, i mean i would like to realease homebrew and things for free before i would ever go onto real programming

and its a hobby, like anyone building a car, or a toy, or modding ps2's (or psp's) no one wants money

we just have fun doing it, and that great self accomplishment makes it worth it in the end

money does not matter

gdf
March 17th, 2007, 14:46
most have it just as a hobby, some also work in commercial games. cosidering they all have jobs and might not have the expertise to work on a full blown game, there is little point.

mesosade
March 17th, 2007, 21:03
it's the challenge that keeps coders going to see themselves overcome bugs and issues and then marvel at the amazing end result. Why would wanting to overcome obstacles be an issue?

1stvinicius
March 17th, 2007, 23:30
People don't code for gain... They code because they enjoy it.

Cloudy

Wrong...

Wrong because you know there is a Microsoft, there is a Sony, a Namco, a Konami and lots of other software houses out there. Needless to say why they are coding for...

Maybe the point we must not forget is that a coder is not working with this if he didnt like it. Im pretty sure that there are not guys coding for surviving purposes..

1stvinicius
March 17th, 2007, 23:45
yeah people like to learn, i mean i would like to realease homebrew and things for free before i would ever go onto real programming

and its a hobby, like anyone building a car, or a toy, or modding ps2's (or psp's) no one wants money

we just have fun doing it, and that great self accomplishment makes it worth it in the end

money does not matter
Ok, its a hobby but man, people make money with their hard work out there. You guys who visit ebay (in brazil theres something like ebay called mercadolivre) must be tired of seeing emulators being sold there with tons of roms on one disc...

JKKDARK
March 17th, 2007, 23:48
Ok, its a hobby but man, people make money with their hard work out there. You guys who visit ebay (in brazil theres something like ebay called mercadolivre) must be tired of seeing emulators being sold there with tons of roms on one disc...

that's illegal

Cloudhunter
March 17th, 2007, 23:57
Wrong...

Wrong because you know there is a Microsoft, there is a Sony, a Namco, a Konami and lots of other software houses out there. Needless to say why they are coding for...

Maybe the point we must not forget is that a coder is not working with this if he didnt like it. Im pretty sure that there are not guys coding for surviving purposes..

OK, people don't code homebrew for profit... They do it because they enjoy it. Even Microsoft coders enjoy it, or they would never have got into it.

Anyway, I fail to see your whole point in general...

Cloudy

gamerremag
March 18th, 2007, 00:58
how the hell is this topic on complaining bout coders coming from someone who doesnt even code? if coders want you to pay for there work, so be it, but they usually (i havent seen one that does charge, but i dont know if there is or not) give it out for free. also, obviously they like doing what they do, or else they just would have no need to do it, and if your going to bring up people tht have jobs and dont like them, thats because they are to lazy to do something about it.

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 01:55
some also work in commercial games. cosidering they all have jobs and might not have the expertise to work on a full blown game, there is little point.

1 - lets assume that some of them work on a software house that develops commercial games. If they really worked in some of these companies then they would probably get fired as soon as the company discovered that they were developing emulators (which is not that much a legal stuff)

2 - Even if they dont have what it takes to make a full blown game, they would still have the chance to get a job in a company like those i said before as a junior programmer or something like that..

So the point is not that little...

Shadowblind
March 18th, 2007, 01:59
Some homebrew programmers are under 18, so I doubt they would be able to get a job. For the ones that are over 21, then it is thoroughly their choice. As long as there is a single coder who doesn't give a hoot about turning over a couple of dollars there will always be homebrew, and there will always be more people that will follow up that one and multiply like masquitos.

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 02:07
that's illegal

I know its illegal, girl.. But the guys who sell them doesnt care about that. What they really care is that a great program is there for them to sell with no worries and it doesnt matter if it is on ebay or anywhere else.

Coders should do this free publishing for a short period of time, just to show off their skills.

Even Dcemu makes some cash with this site that most of you think is 100% for the "fan scene"... (playasia banners and lots of recent news too)

gamerremag
March 18th, 2007, 02:16
,girl..

wow, what the hell? being discriminant while your wrong and when everyone is against you isnt, i guess ill say, "helping your cause"

you lost, stay down.:thumbup:

Shadowblind
March 18th, 2007, 02:22
I don't get it...

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 02:27
wow, what the hell? being discriminant while your wrong and when everyone is against you isnt, i guess ill say, "helping your cause"

Could you explain that better because i cant see the discrimination thing youre talking about... :confused:

gamerremag
March 18th, 2007, 02:34
i was just wondering why you would just entitle her as "girl". thats like me saying:

your whole topic has nothing to do with anything so sit down, boy

little clearer?

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 02:43
i was just wondering why you would just entitle her as "girl". thats like me saying:

your whole topic has nothing to do with anything so sit down, boy

little clearer?

Some people are just too angry for me to discuss.. :rolleyes:

God bless you and I hope he can take this hating behavior out of you, big dude.. :thumbup:

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 02:50

Tha sounded like you were nervous, anxious and was looking forward to catch a "fault" out of me... LOLZ

gamerremag
March 18th, 2007, 03:28
well, it was nice of you to "god bless me" but then you say that what i said had no purpose. for me reading it, i saw it as : your a girl, you dont know what you are talking about. thats why i said it was discriminant. also, im not anxious and if i was trying to find fault, i would say that you just doubble posted, and its obvious that what you are typing nobody really care about except for me because i have been brought into the situation. god bless

1stvinicius
March 18th, 2007, 03:47
I dont really understand what your complaint is.

My complaint is about all the free programming distribution with no limits. This just depreciates the professional who works with it.

This publishing for the dreamcast, at this moment, maybe ok because it wouldnt sell but it wouldnt be ok for the next gen systems they will probably make emus for. They should start selling their projects for those platforms as this would surely make some money..

Think about this situation:

You just developed a great dreamcast emulator for the ps3 and your efforts were the greatest ones you applied ona project..

then someone appears with another great emu with the same efforts but, as he's nice and good to everyone, he will not sell it but will just publish it..

In other words, you know that the lots of nights and days spent on your computer to build the great piece of software deserve some reward other than just fans. But the other guy, even working hard just like you, don't think like that so he is not only depreciating his job but also all other's work too.

Thats my point.

lmtlmt
March 18th, 2007, 04:38
and your forgetting about us coders who arent good enough and if we charged for our stuff people would be like " f_ck that, i aint paying for this shit" :p

Tetris999
March 18th, 2007, 05:25
and your forgetting about us coders who arent good enough and if we charged for our stuff people would be like " f_ck that, i aint paying for this shit" :p

this is something very true

Cap'n 1time
March 18th, 2007, 08:26
My complaint is about all the free programming distribution with no limits. This just depreciates the professional who works with it.

This publishing for the dreamcast, at this moment, maybe ok because it wouldnt sell but it wouldnt be ok for the next gen systems they will probably make emus for. They should start selling their projects for those platforms as this would surely make some money..

Ultimately it is up to the programmer I think. No one is demanding they release their work for free (unless of course, it would be illegal to do otherwise).

You could consider this like volunteer work that you have listed on a resume also. This is especially true in the game programming world. I imagine someone would be more willing to hire someone that has done a piece of freeware that was well received over someone that went to school and came straight for a job with little experience and an empty resume.

Also consider this. The Unreal Tournament Mod "Red Orchestra". It is a free mod, that was entered in the "Million Dollar Challenge" and won. Now you have the option of buying the game (with the engine included) or you can just DL the mod for free. Not only that, but I believe Epic games either gave them a job, or strongly support the original developers.

Another fine example is the Linux Developers. The people that own the now popular Ubuntu Distro found these developers who release this free software and actually pay them to continue updating it.

But really it all comes down to this. IT ISNT ABOUT THE MONEY AT ALL! If this idea seems foreign to you... well, god help you.

acn010
March 18th, 2007, 14:05
1 - lets assume that some of them work on a software house that develops commercial games. If they really worked in some of these companies then they would probably get fired as soon as the company discovered that they were developing emulators (which is not that much a legal stuff)

2 - Even if they dont have what it takes to make a full blown game, they would still have the chance to get a job in a company like those i said before as a junior programmer or something like that..

So the point is not that little...

and when the emulators turned illegal?
the companies dont care what you do unless if its property of the company itself

mexicansnake
March 19th, 2007, 00:29

Yeah, I agree. Also we want to give to the world free fun, is just that. Its like a hobbie that can help the people to get some good and free fun.

I love when the people give me free things, why I wouldnt give them free things?.:)
I DONT CARE ABOUT MONEY, easy as that!.

1stvinicius
March 19th, 2007, 06:21

Well, if youre not good enough than you shouldnt think of charging... Im talking about the projects of games and emulators we find here in DCemu community. Lots of them are awesome and should have been charged.

1stvinicius
March 19th, 2007, 06:28
and when the emulators turned illegal?

As you might know, emulators are legal as long as you have all the software (roms) you want to emulate on them or else you must delete them within 24 hours. So i repeat: they are not 100% legal.

the companies dont care what you do unless if its property of the company itself

There is something called "ethics" so any company of respect would, at least, warn a professional of its cast if they knew about it.

1stvinicius
March 19th, 2007, 06:32
Yeah, I agree. Also we want to give to the world free fun, is just that. Its like a hobbie that can help the people to get some good and free fun.

I love when the people give me free things, why I wouldnt give them free things?.:)
I DONT CARE ABOUT MONEY, easy as that!.

So you should care about money... Unless you have rich parents and you dont care about living on their money all the rest of your life (and if they dont care of carrying you till they die too)

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 08:21
As you might know, emulators are legal as long as you have all the software (roms) you want to emulate on them or else you must delete them within 24 hours. So i repeat: they are not 100% legal.

Actually, the 24 hour rule is lies. Also, his point was that the EMULATORS, that is the programs, are perfectly 271% legal.

So you should care about money... Unless you have rich parents and you dont care about living on their money all the rest of your life (and if they dont care of carrying you till they die too)

As you get older, you'll learn the best things in life truly are free. If your only goal in life is to make money... you're going to die a very lonely person.

If you wish to go do a commercial project and never contribute to the homebrew scene, more power to you. But please, leave us in peace. We do things for free, for education, and most importantly for fun.

lmtlmt
March 19th, 2007, 08:36
Well, if youre not good enough than you shouldnt think of charging... Im talking about the projects of games and emulators we find here in DCemu community. Lots of them are awesome and should have been charged.

errrmm hello all my projects were released here in the dcemu community and have 600 + downloads on qj and my most famous psp planet digital magazine with the fanjita interview, now who could forget that:rolleyes: my games and apps have been good but they arent good enough to charge for and if coders dont want to charge for thier stuff why the hell are you pressuring them to, if thye wanted to they would have charged for thier stuff by now, so just let it go.

mexicansnake
March 19th, 2007, 17:50

I dont use my parents for money... Also I have a life, a normal one and in the other hand I code, I can have "other" job rather than coding. Its really simple, you must be a hombrew coder in order to understand. But maybe you never will cuz it seems that everything in the world for you is money and power, the world can be kind, can be free, can be yours, can have friendship, can educate yourself.

The true meaning of the hombrew coding is in the coder himself, nobody can explain it (I cant explain it too:p ).

IF YOU CARE ABOUT MONEY, THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

Sorry but your attitude seems to be childish.:(

mexicansnake
March 19th, 2007, 18:11

Sorry but Ill be harsh this time with you.

If you dont know the "homebrew emulators" they are free software made by coders, they are not illegal, they are like a normal homebrew game. You CAN have them without all the software needed.

Your 24hrs stuff its really stupid and lame cuz if you donwload COPYRIGHTED stuff you are doing an illegal action.

The emulator and the guy who made it are clean. The guy who is a pirate is the bad guy of this movie.

Also you can have just the half of an emulator and it still being legal! as far you dont download copyrighted materials.

You can dump your own original games AS I DO for the pspīs psone emulator of the custom firmware. Nothing illegal here. Im free to do whatever I want with my original games and hardware (As far I dont leak them or use them for illegal stuff like uploading the game).

If you have the power, knowledge (anything else you want) to create a weapon and you know how to create it , then I ask: Is it illegal?.

Is illegal know how to use the math for bad pourposes?.

The weapon doesnt kill, the one who kills is the person who uses it for evil.

Go now and learn law.

gamerremag
March 19th, 2007, 20:28
I dont have rich parents, but i am buying my ps3 next week with lunch money i have saved up. :)

when is this never-ending topic going to end?!?!

1stvinicius
March 20th, 2007, 03:31
Actually, the 24 hour rule is lies. Also, his point was that the EMULATORS, that is the programs, are perfectly 271% legal. .

Sorry but i must say that this number of yours is wrong.. Actually they are 512,90134% legal.. :p BUT without roms and what is an emulator with no roms?? There's one more thing too: who cares about homebrew roms? ALL we know why people download them for.. They do it to play commercial roms. End of history.

As you get older, you'll learn the best things in life truly are free. If your only goal in life is to make money... you're going to die a very lonely person.

You got a point but let me use a credit card company advertising as an example: "There are things money can't buy, for all other there is MasterCard." :rolleyes:

If you wish to go do a commercial project and never contribute to the homebrew scene, more power to you. But please, leave us in peace. We do things for free, for education, and most importantly for fun.

I never said that people should never contribute to the scene. I said that this contribution should be limited. I will leave you in peace as soon as you give me a good argue or when the moderator/administrator
decides to ban me. BTW, does your "ban hammer" have the power for it? Because if it does have what it takes to ban me, I hope you don't begin to act like a
Hitler... (and the admi too) hehe :rolleyes:

Shadowblind
March 20th, 2007, 03:40
Now there are such things as PD ROMs, even though they often are very lousy. These ROMs, combined with the emulator, are often 100% legal. I don't intend for my profession to be in gaming but I'd like to learn C++ sometime in life. I won't be able to sell things even if I try, no matter how nice it is, simply because it will not be my profession. It would be a rather hobby, I would do such a thing in my spare time when not at work with my true profession. I would want to share these programs to see how others react and to see the benefits that others would gain from them. If no one cares, well good for them. Im sure someone out there would, but if I tried to sell such a thing I wold end up loosing money (speaking as though I would be able to publish it.)

1stvinicius
March 20th, 2007, 03:45
errrmm hello all my projects were released here in the dcemu community and have 600 + downloads on qj and my most famous psp planet digital magazine with the fanjita interview, now who could forget that:rolleyes: my games and apps have been good but they arent good enough to charge for and if coders dont want to charge for thier stuff why the hell are you pressuring them to, if thye wanted to they would have charged for thier stuff by now, so just let it go.

Im sorry about not recognizing you as a respected coder. I must say that i'm into the Dreamcast scene so i know nothing about PSP scene.

So that's what I am talking about. You guys seems not to be able to realize that you have reached a higher level. If you are saying that your apps have been DL 600 times then they are GOOD.

It seems for me that you guys understimate your onw selves. It seems that you can't see the real value of your work... Man if you like to do these things, go earn your live with it. Nothing can pay the feeling of work with something you like to do...

I have already talked about the reason im pressuring you to charge.

Mark30001
March 20th, 2007, 04:30
I understand where 1stvinicius is coming from. Great ideas can arise from coding projects, however, not everyone in the scene is seeking riches. I personally think emulators and certain console homebrew should not be charged in any way. Free homebrew should always exist! Charging should be limited to PC homebrew & development, and in some cases the Dreamcast (via The GOAT Store (http://www.goatstore.com/) ;)).

If people really want to make money creating homebrew for consoles, they might as well obtain a video gaming license to officially distribute their game and content, although it could prove quite costly.

Cap'n 1time
March 20th, 2007, 06:06
I never said that people should never contribute to the scene. I said that this contribution should be limited. I will leave you in peace as soon as you give me a good argue or when the moderator/administrator
decides to ban me. BTW, does your "ban hammer" have the power for it? Because if it does have what it takes to ban me, I hope you don't begin to act like a
Hitler... (and the admi too) hehe :rolleyes:

Nah, thats not how I roll. and I dont really want you to leave. I do, however, want you to understand that this community, much like the linux community does not rely on money. I dont think you would dare suggest the linux is dead, even without the huge production costs that MS shells out.... In fact most the Distributions that try to go heavily proprietary seem to fail (See Redhat, Mandrake, Suse under Novell, etc).

1stvinicius
March 20th, 2007, 06:33
I dont use my parents for money... Also I have a life, a normal one and in the other hand I code, I can have "other" job rather than coding. Its really simple, you must be a hombrew coder in order to understand. But maybe you never will cuz it seems that everything in the world for you is money and power, the world can be kind, can be free, can be yours, can have friendship, can educate yourself.

Sure you can get another job, but if you want to code hard stuff and then distribute them for free then you are just making what i have been saying all over this thread. Undervalueing the profession.

So just because i do care about money I am now a guy who wants power???:confused:

The true meaning of the hombrew coding is in the coder himself, nobody can explain it (I cant explain it too:p ).

So if you cant explain it then you lost the cause.

IF YOU CARE ABOUT MONEY, THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?

Hey, calm down, big dude.. No one is yelling here.

Im here to convince some of you because this is the most expressive community about homebrew programming in my opinion.

Sorry but Ill be harsh this time with you.

If you dont know the "homebrew emulators" they are free software made by coders, they are not illegal, they are like a normal homebrew game. You CAN have them without all the software needed.

Your 24hrs stuff its really stupid and lame cuz if you donwload COPYRIGHTED stuff you are doing an illegal action.

The emulator and the guy who made it are clean. The guy who is a pirate is the bad guy of this movie.

Also you can have just the half of an emulator and it still being legal! as far you dont download copyrighted materials.

Well, for these words I must say what i said to cap'n 1time:

"What is an emulator with no roms?? And who cares about homebrew roms? ALL we know why people download them for.. They do it to play commercial roms. End of history."

Now if you wanna put things like "the good guy" and the "bad guy" then this is what i have to tell you:

If there is a rom dumped somewhere, thats because an emulator is available BEOFRE. So both guys have their guilty side in this "movie".

If you have the power, knowledge (anything else you want) to create a weapon and you know how to create it , then I ask: Is it illegal?.

This comparison doesn't fit in anyway to the whole subject..

You're asking me if the capacity of a person to build a gun (emulator) is a crime, right? Then i would say "No. It's not a crime to ONLY have the capacity to construct a gun." (lets put gun manufacturing as a crime).

But that's not the question.. The question is about something already made, not about the capacity to make it. So emulators are not just in the capacity realm, its not a fantasy.
I hope you understand what i am trying to say...

Is illegal know how to use the math for bad pourposes?.

Again, almost the same kind of distorted comparison...

The weapon doesnt kill, the one who kills is the person who uses it for evil.

If there is someone dead by a gun, then a gun was there BEFORE his dead. In other words: you must take the responsibility for the things you create.

By the way, are you a lawyer?

1stvinicius
March 20th, 2007, 08:57
And one more thing:

I knew that 24 hours period is a lie. I was just testing you guys, ok? ;)

Now what really matters is that none of them are legal stuff (roms and emulators). No matter what you say, they will still be illegal.

I know you got angry with me but i know too that you gonna think about what im saying. Take care.

souLLy
March 20th, 2007, 09:01
*sigh* the old, 'ROMs are illegal therefore all emulation must be illegal'. This has been covered so many times on so many sites that I won't even go into it, but without going into a long-winded rant, emulation is perfectly legal.

Also on the money issue, I'll put it like this:

Developers of free software generally do it for fun, if they take money from people:
- They're obliged to offer tech support
- They're also obliged to keep updating it forever
- Their work is then judged against other professional quality, commercial software (since you pay the same hard earned cash for them both) which inevitably leads to the work being heavily criticised 'how come dis dosent look as gud as GTA???!@'

Of course coders/artists/musicians etc realise that they're giving away the fruits of their efforts for free, but not everyone is absorbed by the all consuming desire for wealth... heck you'd be surprised how much fun is taken out of a hobby when you begin taking money for your hobby and it becomes your job.

Sure if a coder needs a new piece of software/hardware to complete a project and people want to donate to help out, or when people set up a bounty for whoever is the first person to get wifi on the ds working for example, I think those are great things- but otherwise on the whole, I'd say it's better to leave money out of homebrew, it's one of the nice areas of life that isn't tainted by greed and isn't discriminating against those with lower incomes. If you can afford a blank CDR then you can get into Dreamcast homebrew... who really would want that to change?

Tetris999
March 20th, 2007, 15:30
*sigh* the old, 'ROMs are illegal therefore all emulation must be illegal'. This has been covered so many times on so many sites that I won't even go into it, but without going into a long-winded rant, emulation is perfectly legal.

Developers of free software generally do it for fun, if they take money from people:
- Their work is then judged against other professional quality, commercial software (since you pay the same hard earned cash for them both) which inevitably leads to the work being heavily criticised 'how come dis dosent look as gud as GTA???!@'

Of course coders/artists/musicians etc realise that they're giving away the fruits of their efforts for free, but not everyone is absorbed by the all consuming desire for wealth... heck you'd be surprised how much fun is taken out of a hobby when you begin taking money for your hobby and it becomes your job.

Sure if a coder needs a new piece of software/hardware to complete a project and people want to donate to help out, or when people set up a bounty for whoever is the first person to get wifi on the ds working for example, I think those are great things- but otherwise on the whole, I'd say it's better to leave money out of homebrew, it's one of the nice areas of life that isn't tainted by greed and isn't discriminating against those with lower incomes. If you can afford a blank CDR then you can get into Dreamcast homebrew... who really would want that to change?

:thumbup: to soully i agree with him

mexicansnake
March 20th, 2007, 22:17
Sure you can get another job, but if you want to code hard stuff and then distribute them for free then you are just making what i have been saying all over this thread. Undervalueing the profession.

So just because i do care about money I am now a guy who wants power???:confused:

So if you cant explain it then you lost the cause.

Hey, calm down, big dude.. No one is yelling here.

Im here to convince some of you because this is the most expressive community about homebrew programming in my opinion.

Well, for these words I must say what i said to cap'n 1time:

"What is an emulator with no roms?? And who cares about homebrew roms? ALL we know why people download them for.. They do it to play commercial roms. End of history."

Now if you wanna put things like "the good guy" and the "bad guy" then this is what i have to tell you:

If there is a rom dumped somewhere, thats because an emulator is available BEOFRE. So both guys have their guilty side in this "movie".

This comparison doesn't fit in anyway to the whole subject..

You're asking me if the capacity of a person to build a gun (emulator) is a crime, right? Then i would say "No. It's not a crime to ONLY have the capacity to construct a gun." (lets put gun manufacturing as a crime).

But that's not the question.. The question is about something already made, not about the capacity to make it. So emulators are not just in the capacity realm, its not a fantasy.
I hope you understand what i am trying to say...

Again, almost the same kind of distorted comparison...

If there is someone dead by a gun, then a gun was there BEFORE his dead. In other words: you must take the responsibility for the things you create.

By the way, are you a lawyer?

Well, I studied laws from my law teacher (he is a doctor btw) like 2 years... So maybe its a yes.

About the roms, all you have to do is dump your own game "dot". I dont want to enter on big terms cuz here is not allowed to talk about piracy and how to do it.

Also the answer is inside of each coder, he cant explain it to you cuz you had never coded something
and you cant understand our causes and what we think. We cant explain it to you cuz is really hard to explain but go msn and Ill try to explain it to you:) .

Emulators can be a capacity (as I have) to build them, it doesnt matter if we dont want to release them ;).

You are the one who needs to chill. Im just being critic like you.

You must answer faster the next time.

If you want to stress words in capitals make sure you write them well: BEOFRE? (I dont want to flame I think that Im being constructive).

Read again the comparison, read and read and read again if you cant get it ;) .

Also you can have the source code of an emulator, its done but it doesnt work (semidone), give us your explanation about this, I want to see want do you think :) .

I think that you are doing a good job but your arguments must be more solid in order to make us think, can you get it?:)

OK Im done:) .

1stvinicius
March 21st, 2007, 19:11
Well, I studied laws from my law teacher (he is a doctor btw) like 2 years... So maybe its a yes.

So maybe its a "yes", huh? Just to let you you know, in my country people must stay 4~5 years in the university to be considered a lawyer and after this time they must be classified on the "Order of lawyers of Brazil" (Ordem dos Advogados do Brasil - OAB) exam. If they can't pass in this exam then they will never be lawyers.

Understood, big "Lawyer"? FOUR to FIVE years..

Also the answer is inside of each coder, he cant explain it to you cuz you had never coded something
and you cant understand our causes and what we think. We cant explain it to you cuz is really hard to explain but go msn and Ill try to explain it to you:) .

Just because I said that i am studying hard to be a coder it doesnt mean I never coded before.. I know that coding stuff are learned by practice. And even if i really never did it, like you are saying, you should not say that "the answer is inside each coder" like if coding was something sacred or from another world that no one could ever explain. I'm sure some other coder could find some answers to that simple question but you are just showing that you can't...

You talk bull$hit all the time.. You say that its not possible to explain and then you call me to MSN so you can try to explain.. Give me a break.. You just want to flame me as much as you can there because here you know you cant.. (or you are looking forward to invade my PC?)

Emulators can be a capacity (as I have) to build them, it doesnt matter if we dont want to release them ;).

If you have studied laws for 2 "long" years, now its time to restart your english course too.:rolleyes:

You must answer faster the next time.

I have lots of other things to do so I don't have time to keep checking replies all the time like you do. Tell me the truth: you're one of those freaking posters out there, aren't you? One of those who post now and keep refreshing the page every 5 minutes... Hahuahuhueuha

If you want to stress words in capitals make sure you write them well: BEOFRE? (I dont want to flame I think that Im being constructive).

Maybe you could give me some lessons about how to stress words in capital and in big red letters.. heheheh ;)

Read again the comparison, read and read and read again if you cant get it ;) .

I wont waste my time anymore with your mad comparison..

Also you can have the source code of an emulator, its done but it doesnt work (semidone), give us your explanation about this, I want to see want do you think :) .

".....I want to see WANT do you think.." Maybe Im not the only one mispelling words here. ;) So you wanna know what I think about source codes? Well, if some other person come and ask me maybe i would answer but i just got tired of you...

I think that you are doing a good job but your arguments must be more solid in order to make us think, can you get it?:)

If my arguments were so weak like youre saying then they wouldnt receive so many answers till this page....

These were my last words to you, big lawyer.
Ok?

1stvinicius
March 21st, 2007, 19:35

Finally some good points of view, but:

Why would they need to offer a full support service at the start? If its a homebrew, then it should be cheaper and if it is cheaper, then this support could be limited only to a readme file and to these forums at the beggining of the commerce. After some time, they could improve he quality of the product, the support and the price.. Everything has a starting point.

About a hobby becoming a job:
Well, if it is really bad to transform your job into your work then I bet it is still badder to work with something you don't like. Even if it becomes your obligation, it is still something you know how to do well.. Agree?

About helping people with lower incomes:
Like I said before, a cheap price for homebrews should be applied. If its cheap then almost everyone could buy it.

quzar
March 21st, 2007, 19:57
My experience:
I was almost going to get a minigame onto the goat things, but thought it was too much pressure to deliver a completely bug free product with amazing level design and such, two things I was not confident in my ability to do.

I do stuff for the Dreamcast because I find it fun, I enjoy facilitating others having fun, I like the challenge, and I plan to one day do professional programming for embedded systems so everything I do goes into a portfolio showing I have the ability to port things, optimize, write semi-competently in C, etc.

JKKDARK
March 21st, 2007, 22:30
My experience:
I was almost going to get a minigame onto the goat things, but thought it was too much pressure to deliver a completely bug free product with amazing level design and such, two things I was not confident in my ability to do.

I don't think these games published by Goat can be called "minigames". Even official releases could be possible. There's a big difference between Goat games and free homebrew games.

Jeremysr
March 21st, 2007, 22:59
We just program for fun. Most don't care about money (well I don't.) I would be quite happy programming even if I was unable to release it. Programming is the funnest thing for me to do.

quzar
March 21st, 2007, 23:04
I don't think these games published by Goat can be called "minigames". Even official releases could be possible. There's a big difference between Goat games and free homebrew games.

One of the early GOAT store projects was (as far as I know it's not being made with the games it was originally going to be made with) a disc of multiple mini-games that were winners of one of the contests. I'm not calling any of the other GOAT games minigames, what I said was I had a minigame that had the chance to be put onto a collection of such games.

mexicansnake
March 22nd, 2007, 02:45
One of the early GOAT store projects was (as far as I know it's not being made with the games it was originally going to be made with) a disc of multiple mini-games that were winners of one of the contests. I'm not calling any of the other GOAT games minigames, what I said was I had a minigame that had the chance to be put onto a collection of such games.

1stvinicius is acting sarcastic, Ill not reply his post again...

Btw guys:
Are the GOAT games for the dreamcast?.

JKKDARK
March 22nd, 2007, 03:02
Are the GOAT games for the dreamcast?.

http://www.goatstore.com/publishing/ :rolleyes: