PDA

View Full Version : DSLearnJ v0.5

wraggster
March 17th, 2007, 12:53
Zarxrax (http://ds.amvhell.com/#download) had updated his DS application called DSLearnJ:

Heres more info:

DSLearnJ is a homebrew application for the Nintendo DS that I created so I could learn Japanese Kanji more easily.

Updated DSLearnJ to version 0.5. The program was completely rewritten from scratch. I have finally included all of the basic functionality, making the program actually useful now. There is still lots of room for improvement though, and code is still incomplete in some places (like the file menu).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

rkovas
March 19th, 2007, 16:01
Nice!!!Im starting right now making my own cards.THX!!

Zarxrax
March 19th, 2007, 21:21
rkovas: could you tell me what kind of flash card you are using? I've gotten a few reports that people are having trouble with some cards, so I'm trying to figure out what all works and what doesnt.

toymin80r
March 25th, 2007, 21:24
Hey, the older version of this works on the mmd, but this version doesn't, i guess its cause you pretty much started it over. Is there any way you can fix this in later versions?

rkovas
April 3rd, 2007, 15:13
Im making my own cards based on edict but i can only have up to 30(???) cards per deck.it wasnt suposed to contain 256???

Zarxrax
April 3rd, 2007, 16:28
I'll check into it and see. If there is a problem it will be fixed in the next release.

Category
April 3rd, 2007, 18:32
Is anyone planning on releasing a few card sets for this program? It would be doubly awesome without the hassle of building my own deck...

Zarxrax
April 3rd, 2007, 18:49
Well, If you follow any sort of structured class or a textbook, I think building your own card sets would be very important.

I guess I can see where people might want to have something premade to work from though. I'll see about including a large set with the next release.

rkovas
April 5th, 2007, 06:30
Tnx Zarzax but i've solven the problem:since i've dualboot(win98/xp) and i was saving in both sides,sometimes +jis files wouldnt be recognize by the DS.By the way I'm using M3 Perfect SD(ultima 512).Zarzax would you mind if i put some of my cards in here (portuguese) just to add some examples?

Zarxrax
April 5th, 2007, 14:50
I don't mind, but I would say don't put too much effort into making cards right now--it's quite possible that the formatting might change in the next version.

rkovas
April 6th, 2007, 07:32
In that case i'll think i'll wait for next version.THX. Thats great news(since jascii letters ocupies more space then normal ascii).BTW can you "squeeze" the TAKA to entering kanji in proper ways??

Zarxrax
April 6th, 2007, 18:44
BTW can you "squeeze" the TAKA to entering kanji in proper ways??

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

rkovas
April 7th, 2007, 06:32
Sorry if i wasnt clear,TAKA is that thing that Padict uses to recognize proper kanji stroke(i think it is called that way...).

Ryu_
April 15th, 2007, 12:20
Hi Zarxrax,

Just wanted to say thanks for making this great program, I have found it a useful and engaging way to practise my kanji.

A suggestion for upcoming versions might be an option which allows certain fields to be turned off. When i get better at kanji it would be great to practise just by the kana reading with the engish hidden.

Zarxrax
April 15th, 2007, 17:09
Ryu: You can already hide any part you like. Is your request different?

rkovas: I doubt that I will implement that, due to complexity.

rkovas
July 14th, 2007, 16:09
Zarzax,are you still developing DSLearnJ?

Zarxrax
July 14th, 2007, 19:32
I've made some improvements to it, but haven't really had time to work on it lately. I'm stumped as to how to actually implement unicode text and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future.

nannys_hedgehog
July 15th, 2007, 15:35
Zarxrax:
For that Unicode thingy - have a look at:
http://tvgame360.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=27925&extra=page%3D1
Phillips is trying something like an unicode template (with source).
Ps: I pmailed you at palib (Uwe). Still waiting for an answer.

Zarxrax
July 15th, 2007, 17:32
Thanks, this looks fairly promising. I will be very busy until after September though, so I doubt I will be able to work on it any further until then.

rkovas
July 15th, 2007, 21:26
Keep up the good work.Take your time.Just wanted to know how it went.

Josiah
November 26th, 2007, 23:32
This is great! DSLearnJ is the program I have been searching for which allows me to get the kanji into my head before diving into a program like Kanken DS which assumes you already have studied the kanji on your own. It's perfect! Thanks!

I'm using version 0.5.

BTW I've discovered a way to create the flash cards on a Mac (I'm still in MAC OS 10.4). I just create the files with the TextEdit that comes with the Mac, typing in the Japanese and converting to Kanji the normal way, and typing in the Roman letters in full-width Roman characters. Then I save the file as a Japanese (ISO 2022-JP) file. However there is a catch; some of the entries have garbled characters. I have discovered that if I open these files on my wife's Windows PC and save them again in JWPCE the problem is fixed. How strange. Of course, this renders my solution meaningless, but at least I can create the files in my familiar Mac and spend a few seconds fixing them in Windows.