PDA

View Full Version : LimeWire on PSP?

wiitendo
March 19th, 2007, 02:59
Wouldn't it be great, if someone could port LimeWire on the PSP?

All is would use is an internet connection, and you can download, and pick the locations of where your downloads go!

I don't know if this is portable...because we don't have the source, so it'll have to be remade?

Would this be hard?

ICE
March 19th, 2007, 04:31
yeah no source no port. i clone might be possible though.

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 04:43
frostwire is an open source clone of limewire (in fact, its better). I dont understand the point of P2P DL applications on the PSP though...

Here is a link to frostwire if anyone is interested.
http://www.frostwire.com/

ICE
March 19th, 2007, 04:56
i dont much get it myself either but to each his own eh?

woods05
March 19th, 2007, 04:57
---Limewire bashing post starts here---

-I say that downloading songs on limewire for free instead of buying them is disrespectful to the artist, regardless of whether or not it is legal.
-Sounds like a new way for viruses on a PSP

---Limewire bashing post ends here---

Cloudhunter
March 19th, 2007, 11:57
Actually, if it is legal then it isn't disrespecting the artist as they allowed it...

Cloudy

Wally
March 20th, 2007, 00:10
Limewire would be useful for downloading music and stuff..

But wouldnt you rather an XMB portal that you can check and download new homebrew through?

Not a website but an actual eboot with update systems etc

F9zDark
March 20th, 2007, 00:20
---Limewire bashing post starts here---

-I say that downloading songs on limewire for free instead of buying them is disrespectful to the artist, regardless of whether or not it is legal.
-Sounds like a new way for viruses on a PSP

---Limewire bashing post ends here---

Some bands don't care if you download their songs since they don't make jack shit on CD sales. Concerts is where the money is at for the bands and I think many of them would rather you download their songs and attend their concerts, than buy their CDs and never goto their concerts...

When last I checked, the RIAA made 99% of the money on CD sales, with the band seeing about 1%... Its no wonder that music-downloading suits are never initiated by individual bands...

TeenDev
March 20th, 2007, 00:43
Limewire is BAD!!

Tree
March 21st, 2007, 20:47
i gotta say limewire is realy bad it can **** up computers like you dont no ... i perfer the good old days with the best P2P ... WINMX

yaustar
March 21st, 2007, 23:19
Limewire is open source as shown here:
http://www.limewire.org/

TeenDev
March 21st, 2007, 23:23
my problem with limewire is that it always shows results for nasty videos. I searched 'Public Domain ROMs' and it game up with pr0n videos....

Cloudhunter
March 21st, 2007, 23:26
That's due to the other peers... But it's so easy to just add it to the file filter so it isn't picked up...

Cloudy

Physicist
April 7th, 2007, 09:32
is there now something for psp that can extract .zip and .rar files?
who's gonna upload something uncompressed...

(I'v not been keeping up with PSP stuff lately, only just got OE fw)

Wally
April 7th, 2007, 11:38
iRshell does all that :)

devdj
April 7th, 2007, 14:34
if there ever will be limewire on psp it will not work if you have clearwire broadband cause clearwire block peer to peer and they are a shit American company.

archangel1024
April 7th, 2007, 17:48
If someone did port Limewire, or frostwire or w/e, It would hammer the memory card on the read-write process, as a P2P Writes from a server to the memory card and then compiles the file from fragments, deleting all the files, a 5mb file (roughly a song) can be recieved in any number of parts, ranging (rought estimate) form 10-40 files, which are compiled and the tmp files deleted. it would destroy the memory card with any file over 50 mb. Like 5 decent downloads, and the memory card would be shot.
It's a cool idea in theory, but pulling it off without destroying the memory card would be an amazing feat.

mnuhaily22
April 7th, 2007, 18:35
my problem with limewire is that it always shows results for nasty videos. I searched 'Public Domain ROMs' and it game up with pr0n videos....
That is also one of the things I hate, but like Cloudy said, a filter should solve the problem...

Triv1um
April 7th, 2007, 19:00
The risk of virus's would increase if this ever did happen i think.

Its only about time before it starts.

pibs
April 7th, 2007, 21:20
Doesn't Limewire run with Javascript though so how would that work?

and viruses on psp, I doubt that, the only thing would be fake eboots leading to bricks but then again just make it for music, pics, vids and remove the app section.

IndianCheese
April 8th, 2007, 01:57
It doesn't have to be LimeWire...any made-for-PSP Gnutella client would be awesome.

Camelot
April 9th, 2007, 00:16
Download speed would be to slow in my opinion

Bruce.Lee
April 9th, 2007, 00:29
I think this would be almost impossible, just considering the hardware aspect of the PSP. Just look at the internet browser, its an officially made feature by Sony and its still quite slow. So if the PSP cant handle an internet browser, I doubt it could handle anything like limewire.

Nice idea though, maybe when the PSP2 comes around.

PLZKLLME0080
April 9th, 2007, 01:08
Limewire really slows your connection down, playing an online game with it running creats a crapload of lag for you. i dont know how well it would run on a PSP.

Cloudhunter
April 9th, 2007, 01:36
It would be possible to get a decent speed out of it... After all, it will only be downloading, and not displaying much.

Cloudy

F9zDark
April 9th, 2007, 04:10
The problem is most assuredly a hardware one. The PSP's wifi antenna is shitty as hell. Even at 100% signal the connection is still too noisy and is prone to drops and disconnects because of the crappy construction.

One person upgraded his antenna real early in the PSP's life and put a tutorial online somewhere. Before even imagining about getting LimeWire on PSP, one would need to upgrade the PSP's antenna.

Downloading huge files would take days because the PSP would constantly lose connection.

awasupra224
April 11th, 2007, 13:24
wut no one seems to realize is that if someone with limewire made a rss feed everyone with a psp would be able to download from that all you would have to do is email requests and wait for them to be posted

awasupra224
April 11th, 2007, 13:27
and just to let all of you kno theres nuttn wrong wit the antenna, you have to kno how to use it

Buddy4point0
April 11th, 2007, 18:09
this would be awsome! i use limewire all the time

SpooForBrains
April 24th, 2007, 19:11
Limewire is written in Java, and there's only a very basic Java virtual machine for the PSP at the moment, so a Limewire port would be pretty much impossible as it stands at the moment.

parkermauney
April 28th, 2007, 05:02
Limewire is indeed open source: http://www.limewire.org/

but requires jre, which is not

godofwar77
May 23rd, 2007, 03:07
LimeWire is the sickest file sharing program on the planet, only very few viruses live in limewire anyway.

Current PSP Information

3.40 OE-A
GTA LCS (unpatched and pathed)

FW History = 2.71-2.80-3.03-1.50-3.40OEA-1.50-3.03OEC-1.50-3.02OEB-3.03OEC-3.40OEA Finaly Enough Down and Upgrading!

baracki96
May 23rd, 2007, 04:24
Pirates, Pirates! I'm telling the captain!! No, in all seriousness though it would be a good port, for those rare events when you're without a pc/laptop but have a psp and want to hear some music. ........200th post

steve520
May 23rd, 2007, 04:46
yeah limewire would be cool but its so slow on my computer and i think it would be extremely slow to download things..................... the first time i got my PSP and i was at 2.71 I downloaded limewire of the webrowser and thought it would work until I learned more about the PSP

parkermauney
May 23rd, 2007, 12:04
Are you retarded!? It requires jre, which is not open source!

Billdough
June 3rd, 2007, 20:46
Is there any other ports of any other P2P software?
I figure I would save space and not make a new thred for this. And I don't understand why flame people for using P2P. I use it to find rare stuff that I cannot find anywhere else. If you don't like P2P, then don't use it!! thnkx.

Tesseract
June 3rd, 2007, 21:29
But wouldnt you rather an XMB portal that you can check and download new homebrew through?

Not a website but an actual eboot with update systems etc

Perhaps there could be an RSS feed JUST for DCEmu - PSP Homebrew downloads, now that non-vodcast/podcast RSS feeds are usable with 3.50?

parkermauney
June 4th, 2007, 00:10
Installatron is a portal for downloading new homebrew. It's not OE compatible though, and I don't think it's been updated for a while.

jaron
June 13th, 2008, 01:55
Limewire is da best!!
i got 7 viruses from limewire when i waz a noob, but just pick the file that the most people downloaded.

NO VIRUSES:)

NoQuarter
June 13th, 2008, 03:37
limewire sucks, use torrents!
P2P doesn't mean necessarily piracy,I use it for linux iso's
ctorrent for psp is pretty good.Sometimes in a pinch my psp is my computer :)
I am one of those people who upgraded my psp antenna,BIG DIFFERENCE, I have a cantenna I can attach.
Macspoofer + cantenna + irkeyboard = sweet psp ;)

P.S.
I caught a few viruses from limewire when I used windoze.
now I'm a little more discerning about what I download,compiling from source is generally safer because more eyes have been on the code.
That doesn't apply to media files though...
1959'th post,lol..
just kidding.

acer5050
June 13th, 2008, 23:24
Honestly people get the impression that if you have a torrent client all you do is pirate. Dumbasses. The original use for torrents was to create a faster network for downloading large files, helping keep the person hosting it from taking the full bandwidth. Distributing it among the other downloaders.

People need to stop this stupid crap.

btw

I'd love limewire on the psp :)