PDA

View Full Version : Okiwi alpha demo released - Free DS web browser

DanTheManMS
March 19th, 2007, 03:49
The first release of the FREE Internet Web Browser from Okiwi (http://okiwi.blogspot.com/):

Spread the Word

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Okiwi_released_Free_DS_web_browser

After some good programming sessions, the alpha version is ready.

Some notes:

- The file can be unpacked directly to the root of the flashcard, that is, Okiwi directory must be just under the root.

- Inside this there's the fonts directory, which contains three TrueType font files for the different character families, and also those fonts prerendered at different sizes (*.okf) and some other which contains tables needed to associate character bitmaps with their Unicode codes (*.okm). The extensions stand for Okiwi Font and Okiwi Map, respectively. If these fieles are deleted, the software will generate them again from the TrueType fonts, so each one can use the typography he/she likes more. The included fonts are Bitstream Vera (http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html).

- By now the only way to move along the document is to drag it with the stylus.

- The only working buttons by the moment are: the first, which will allow in a future to enter an URL, and the last, which allows to set the zoom level.

- By misfortune, the other displaying mode I wanted to include, with a general view in a screen and a zoomed one in the other, isn't there yet.

- The icons have been designed by my brother. Actually, he has created some variants, but I've had to choose one of them. In future versions they will be able to be selected.

- As I said, DLDI is used. Released files are patched for SuperCard Lite. If you have another device, you'll have to use the patcher with the corresponding patch (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/)for your flashcart.I think this is a prosiming result.

Keep in mind that this version does not have wireless networking code included yet. In addition, you cannot load your own external pages, so the only viewable page is the built-in one.

Spread the Word

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Okiwi_released_Free_DS_web_browser

Download and leave feedback via Comments

Lexal
March 19th, 2007, 06:53
YES!
This was the meaning that i buyed a flashcart!
\o/

falcon212
March 19th, 2007, 09:04
far from perfect LOL release without able to actually browsing the web, STILL great progress

Deburner
March 19th, 2007, 10:20
looks like somone is tryin to get a release before gnirfleo

Tegamal
March 19th, 2007, 12:44
An internet browser that cannot browse the internet.

Pure genious.

(yes, I spelled genius wrong on purpose)

I understand this is still in alpha, & while it does look good, why release this?

I have to agree with Deburner.

Bami
March 19th, 2007, 13:16
Bweh? The top screen turns red and the bottom screen stays black?

TheYak
March 19th, 2007, 13:36
Guessing you didn't create the subdirectories properly.. in the archive there's an owiki directory, put that on the root of your card.

kcajblue
March 19th, 2007, 14:39
omg. this is awesome.
ive been waiting for this.

Kraton
March 19th, 2007, 15:32
OMG. Is this really working?Hard to believe :\.

im downloading..

jojotjuh
March 19th, 2007, 15:45
well, i think it has great potential!
thanks okiwi team! :)

Aryn
March 19th, 2007, 16:31
Tegamal, this alpha version was released to show us how far the browser has progressed. Give it time and it will likely work later on.

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying out this browser when it is working. The Nintendo DS does need a decent web browser. Not to knock Opera, but something with java/flash support would be excellent.

Tegamal
March 19th, 2007, 17:06
Tegamal, this alpha version was released to show us how far the browser has progressed. Give it time and it will likely work later on.

Anyway, I am looking forward to trying out this browser when it is working. The Nintendo DS does need a decent web browser. Not to knock Opera, but something with java/flash support would be excellent.

Like I said, I know it's far from done, but I expected maybe a little more than one veiwable page. Maybe a working options window?

What I see I'm liking, though.

I really doubt any browser for the DS will be able to handle Flash well. The DS just doesn't have the resources.

Bobv
March 19th, 2007, 19:11
Is this going to eventually support the extra RAM of a supercard? any idea?

Sniff06
March 19th, 2007, 20:30
why doesn't this work? Where are the archives, and whats a subdirectory? Someone help!

NiNxPe
March 19th, 2007, 21:00
I'll try it

TeenDev
March 19th, 2007, 23:45
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

kcajblue
March 19th, 2007, 23:52
im about to try it now.
ill post how it was.

jameshisaus
March 20th, 2007, 00:05
lol, good showcase i guess, but a LOT of work to go! Lets hope they can keep the work going!

canvasch
March 20th, 2007, 14:11
thanks alot for giving us a heads up on your long-awaited project... looks great so far i can't wait for the beta to hit.

dj_mindoverload
March 23rd, 2007, 09:45
wen u gunna have it finished lol.
lookin all good tho

brood_alliance
March 24th, 2007, 05:43
Good job, nice interface, potential to be an awesome browser.

Things a good DS browser needs
- Flash, Java(script), Video, RSS, and Audio Support
- Since people that download this have a "modded" DS (and memory), it would be awesome to have a file explorer to upload things (avatars, sigs)
- An option to cancel picture loading (speeds the website loading, load off the DS' memory)
- Being able to download things to the DS
- Favourites, History, etc...

If all or many of that applies in a later build, this could be the best thing in DS Homebrew history since Moonshell.

DanTheManMS
March 24th, 2007, 21:59
Flash, Java, and Video may all be more than the DS can handle. You're talking about a device with a 66 MHz processor, another 33 MHz processor, and 4 MB of RAM. That's not all that much to work with.

saicrazyfire
March 28th, 2007, 02:34
i tried the alpha version but it doesnt work on my ds...im using supercard lite rumble and i tried both patched (DLDI) and nonpatched versions of okiwi yet i still get a white screen the whole time. Im pretty sure i patched it correctly...if anyone's okiwi works and uses supercard lite rumble, plz send me the file you used?

kcajblue
March 28th, 2007, 03:13
do you have the files and folders in the right place

DanTheManMS
March 28th, 2007, 03:24
Supercard Rumbles are known to have problems booting homebrew built in the latest r20 release of DevKitARM.

saicrazyfire
March 28th, 2007, 22:40
should i invest in another homebrew solution? if so which one should i get? something good for cheap...

the_forerunner
March 29th, 2007, 14:29
black screen. i`m using supercard CF. this is wat i`vr got

Okiwi->okiwi.nds (is that the directory?)

d0m0kun
April 20th, 2007, 17:14
Loads up fine on my R4 Revolution (most homebrew does). Had to patch it with the DLDItool32 first obviously.

At first I had the red screen on top, like someone else had. But that's because I had the directories in the wrong place. Just put the whole Okiwi folder on top level of the card, and then load up the DS. Browse in to the Okiwi folder and run the Okiwi.nds file.

Obviously a bit too early to comment much on the application itself, but hopefully this turns out to be a good browser.

Kazayami
April 21st, 2007, 00:29
Its a good release! It looks impressive, cant wait for browsing. I think that they should have released this, proves its not vapourware ^_^

microsoft
June 15th, 2007, 17:59
IT SUCKS. It's just a blackscreen!!!!!!

kcajblue
June 15th, 2007, 18:21
dude. you didnt have to bring this thread to post that.

and first of all, it isnt just a black screen. you just cant get it to work.
and secondly its only an alpha release. its not a fully functional browser yet.

Hyrule_boy
June 19th, 2007, 23:23
IT SUCKS. It's just a blackscreen!!!!!!
You suck too!

insectus
July 24th, 2007, 06:07
can someon help me! when i load the game it just goes black thats all! what happened can someon help me

wereld101
July 11th, 2009, 15:34
hi it works fine on my r4 revolution card but when i enter in a web addressn and click on 'ok' the web address appears on the upper screen (in top) but i don't get the site. what must I do???