PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Halo Zero for PSP...

V3N0M
March 19th, 2007, 06:41
Well it seems the harassment from the Halo Zero forums has finally made it to DCEmu. I figured since many public attacks have been made against my team, me, and this project. I may as well respond to this, in a public Fashion. This is to let people know what’s going on and what’s to become of this project. As well as to explain what all happened...

Well as many of you know, I have been working on a project named Halo Zero for PSP. This project originally started out as "Halo Cero for PSP" basically a clone of Halo Zero only for the PSP console. After much work I began to wonder if possibly Dobermann may give us permission to port over this amazing game. So my team set out to ask for his permission. At the time we all thought Dobermann had certain rights to these sprites that would allow him to give permission to anyone he chooses. Well it appears we were wrong... He did give us permission and basically said we could use the sprites as long as all code used in the making of this game was from scratch. Which I was perfectly willing to do; being a new coder I figured this would be a nice way to enter the coding aspect of the homebrew scene.

Well a few months down the road we begin to see these "threat threads" popping up saying we can't use the sprites and Dobermann has no permission to allow us the right to use them. At first we didn't really understand what in the hell was going on at the time. We had gone through all the trouble to get permission and then begin the hard work it takes to make a game. So after seeing all of this we were extremely frustrated. Well it seems these people although their methods of telling us was rather unorthodox, were right in the fact that Dobermann does not have the rights and that we must get permission from the original creators. Which we were told was a guaranteed “no”. During all of this I was sick and trying to stay up in school, this was the worst possible time for something like this to happen to this project and honestly to me. Thanks to PSPdemon as he was able to step up into the leader position of this project and keep these “threat threads” at bay while I could get better and get caught up in school. Anyways I’m back; I’m healthy, and ready to clear up all of these misunderstandings and threats against the well being of this project. Now I have a deep respect for the original Halo Zero Team and so will respect their wishes and will not use their sprites in any public releases of this game. This in no way means this project is dead. I made a promise to myself and my team when I took up this project and plan on seeing it through. If adjustments need to be made in order to release this game then they will be made.

Forgive me if this appears to be more of a rant against those people who have verbally attacked us over these last few months rather than a strait answer but after all these rude people coming up and saying cruddy things about this team and this project. You may understand why my team still feels a bit frustrated. I would like to say thank you to all of those who have supported this project but please if those people come around and begin to post “threat threads or posts” let the moderators take care of it and ignore those people completely last thing we need is a big flame war over a game. This is just to clear things up between us and the original Halo Zero Team and their fans. Hopefully this will be the last of any angered Halo Zero fans… If anyone has anymore questions regarding this project please send them via PM, email, or simply post your

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 08:04
Somehow, these angry threads have failed to catch my attention untill recently (I imagine many of these angry threads didnt appear in these forums).

Whatever is decided, DCemu will always respect the original authors wishes. It is being discussed amongst the staff so we can figure out what the hell is going on. The final decision is yet to be determined, but give the evidence, it is most likely that this project WILL NOT appear on DCemu. These were not your sprites to use, nor Dobermann's to give. It is obvious that you are aware of this now and it is sort of understandable that this mistake could be made (though you probably should have done a bit of research after the first few complaints).

Also, we would prefer to keep these angry people out of our forum. KEEP THE DRAMA OUT! WE DONT WANT IT!

souLLy
March 19th, 2007, 10:03
If you use separate paragraphs for different points it makes your posts infinitely more readable. Otherwise it just looks like an angry rant and nobody will bother looking at it.

BrooksyX
March 19th, 2007, 15:06
I say finish the project with the current sprites but don't make a public release. Then give a copy to the author of the sprites. I am sure if the game is of high quality the author of the sprites wont have a problem if you use them.

Anyways, best of luck of luck sorting this out. I can't wait to see some progress screens or even a playable demo!

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 17:49
Please remember, we arnt judging you here. I think this is mostly due to bad circumstances and luck. DCemu is more concerned with learning what happened and why it happened then who was wrong or right. Any information you can give in regards to what exactly Dobbermann gave you permission to do/use and why he felt he had the right to give you permission to use it will be most helpful.

We want to make sure the proper people are credited. If they demand that their work not be displayed in a project, then you must respect their requests. If you dont, thats your business, but you will not use DCemu as a hub to discuss or host the project.

mesosade
March 19th, 2007, 19:04
I would of thought the author of the original halo zero would allow this due to the added publicity his game would recieve =/

V3N0M
March 19th, 2007, 19:08
Please remember, we arnt judging you here. I think this is mostly due to bad circumstances and luck. DCemu is more concerned with learning what happened and why it happened then who was wrong or right. Any information you can give in regards to what exactly Dobbermann gave you permission to do/use and why he felt he had the right to give you permission to use it will be most helpful.

You are right in the fact that this is a combination of bad circumstances and luck. It seems every question you are asking me has all ready been answered but if I need to repeat myself I will. Dobermann had given us all the sprites literally handed them over to us with permission to use them. I believe at the time he had even thought he had the permission to let us use them. Dobermann did create some of the sprites you see in the game. We in no way stole these sprites. I would like to make that extremely clear to you. BTW the proper people were being credited right from the beginning. The credits in our project would include the entire original Halo Zero team.

We want to make sure the proper people are credited. If they demand that their work not be displayed in a project, then you must respect their requests. If you dont, thats your business, but you will not use DCemu as a hub to discuss or host the project.

"Now I have a deep respect for the original Halo Zero Team and so will respect their wishes and will not use their sprites in any public releases of this game."

This means any original sprites used will need to be thrown out and we now need to create our own in the image of Halo Zero. Please try to read what I had already mentioned before you go and post a comment like that. (No offence in anyway meant by that.) Now from what I understand if the changes I mention are done to this project then it should be perfectly legal to host and discuss our game here. As it would be entirely created be my team and my team only. All that this will do to us is prolong the time it takes to finish this game and the game unfortunately will now be more of a clone than a official Halo Zero game.

As I said before if adjustments need to be made in order to release this game then they will be made. I just hope they might let us keep the name...

Kaiser
March 19th, 2007, 19:56
V3NOM said in the first post his team would replace all the original sprites if need be. This isn't the end of the project. Sprites can be replaced and I'm sure team MAYH3M has the talent to create those replacement sprites. I really don't think this was anything more then a mix-up. Team MAYH3M got permission from dobermann to use the Halo Zero name for a clone. They'll just have to continue doing this without using HBC's sprites.

V3N0M
March 19th, 2007, 20:08
V3NOM said in the first post his team would replace all the original sprites if need be. This isn't the end of the project. Sprites can be replaced and I'm sure team MAYH3M has the talent to create those replacement sprites. I really don't think this was anything more then a mix-up. Team MAYH3M got permission from dobermann to use the Halo Zero name for a clone. They'll just have to continue doing this without using HBC's sprites.

Finally, a nice understanding and well informed comment. You do a hell of a good job in your ability to clear things up, those pages I wrote to try to explain everything can be summarized by what you just said in a single paragraph. Thanks Kaiser! You kick serious ass my friend. :thumbup:

Cap'n 1time
March 19th, 2007, 20:20
Whatever the case, I'm glad that this is sorted. I apologize for having you recap on the things you had already discussed in your first post, but As soully said... It is very hard to read one long rant with unimportant details followed by the cream filling of facts and what not on the inside.

Good luck to you.

V3N0M
March 19th, 2007, 20:36
Whatever the case, I'm glad that this is sorted. I apologize for having you recap on the things you had already discussed in your first post, but As soully said... It is very hard to read one long rant with unimportant details followed by the cream filling of facts and what not on the inside.

Good luck to you.

Ah we still love you Cap'n 1time and I except your apology. Sorry about it being hard to read. It was late and I was tired so I didn't really think about how readable it would look on here. Anyways I fixed it so it reads a bit more clearly. Btw it’s not so much of a rant as it is a story of what happened, why it happened, and where we are going with this project. I feel things are in order now and everything is as it should be. If anyone still has remanding questions please contact me and I will get an answer to you ASAP, Thanx!

HaloBro35
January 6th, 2008, 02:13
Wait....so if this project is not dead and this thread is over a year old then what ever happened to this project....?

haddaway234
August 8th, 2008, 10:20
Just out of curiosity, what will happen to you if you don't ask for anyones permission for sprites or coding? There is no copyright on them and even if they are copyrighted your not making any money of it? And isn't homebrew illegal anyways?