PDA

View Full Version : Updated GPS software to save you from disasters

wraggster
March 20th, 2007, 00:48
via pspfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/18/updated-gps-software-to-save-you-from-disasters/)

While the rest of the world has been denied access to PSP's GPS accessory, Sony is releasing a more advanced version of Minna no Chizu, the GPS software, in Japan. The new software, which must be purchased in stores, includes some new features:

Petamap: a database of user-submitted points of interest.
PlaceEngine: software that determines your location based on nearby wi-fi points
Pedestrian navigation routes, which include shortcuts through parks, tunnels, etc.
Disaster relief centers: just in case.
Many Americans have been wondering when the GPS accessory will ever be made available for use here. Unfortunately, Sony hasn't been too keen on releasing details. (Maybe when, or if, they release new colors?) Interested individuals can import the title, but note that US support will require the use of homebrew. Or play lots of Metal Gear Solid

Buddy4point0
March 20th, 2007, 00:51
dude we need gps,more colors, and all the rest of the stuff japn gets and we dont.:(

F9zDark
March 20th, 2007, 01:35
Seriously, why is Sony is shafting us on these great PSP features? I have a homebrew solution for GPS, but the maps take up SO MUCH memory stick space and doesn't calculate routes on the fly (routes need to be calculated on the computer first then imported to the PSP).

I love using homebrew whenever possible, but a UMD may win out in this case. And really, Sony is stupid not to give us this, they could easily make a ton more money on America, since covering the entire country would probably take up 3-6 UMDs, depending on the amount of information available.

Come on Sony, get with the damned program!

Panini
March 20th, 2007, 09:50
I was hoping this might come out in the UK sooner rather than later. :(

$ony take note: The UK is only a small island so please concentrate on us first (after Japan) as we will only require one umd for the GPS! lol