PDA

View Full Version : AFKIM3 - universal messenger client for PSP

wraggster
March 20th, 2007, 16:02
Danzel (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3933.0.html) has posted an entry into the Neoflash Coding Contest:

AFKIM is back and better than ever

AFKIM is an (almost) universal messenger client for PSP (Supports: AIM, ICQ, MSN, GTalk, Yahoo!)

I've also made some guides to hopefully help new people get started with AFKIM.
Even if you've used it before, it would be worth giving the How To Use guide a quick read over.
The changelog for AFKIM3 is as follows:

Much better, more usable program.
Works in OE kernel, DHCP ONLY CURRENTLY, not sure why static IP address doesn't work.
Faster display rendering (Keyboard lags less)
Better wifi handling - User can rechoose which to connect to if connecting fails.
Better menu system, lots more menu items.
- Away / Back
- Remove Account
- Reconnect to Wifi (No more quitting AFKIM to reconnect! yay)
- Get Buddy Details
- Rename Buddy
- Block/Unblock Buddy
- Delete Buddy
Fixes related to pressing buttons, menus now continue scrolling if you hold up or down.
Better connection handling.
Many many code cleanups
Fix memory leaks (introduce a new known one )

--2 and a bit
Quit option.
Ability to use start as well as X to go buddy select -> chat.
FIX: Editting text box with space messes up display.
FIX: Account details don't save sometimes.

There are current 2 versions:
- Experimental OE version, tested in game310 folder with OE 3.10', seems to not work in 3.03
- 1.5 Version, tested in game150 folder on OE 3.10'

The OE Version works with WPA connections, you must use automatic network configuration however (DHCP)

Screenshot / Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

orhon
March 20th, 2007, 16:12
if only it had wpa support..and a little bit ease of use..(edit: i just saw it..yay for wpa :P)
gonna try it :D

Tetris999
March 20th, 2007, 17:19
sometimes it gets confusing when you try to talk 2 ppl

gunntims0103
March 20th, 2007, 18:30
YAY!, my favorite PSP application is back.

Im going to try thisa out right away. :)

scarph
March 20th, 2007, 18:30
yay for this

-Xandu-
March 20th, 2007, 19:10
Really nice! I've waited for this but, I thought they said no updates for the competition? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jonesyxxiv
March 20th, 2007, 20:10
YAY!, my favorite PSP application is back.

Im going to try thisa out right away. :)

same here

DarthPaul
March 20th, 2007, 21:47
Oh My God I'm Cold!!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! I Fu**ing Love This!!! I Have All The Old Versions And It Was Said To Never Come More And Now This!! I Love You Danzel! Yesss!!!!! This Is The Only Application I've Never Erased From My Memory Stick! Omg Thanks Thanks Thanks! And Good Luck On The Competition! You're Gonna Win!!!![again] Yesssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-=me=-
March 20th, 2007, 21:57
great program, but i believe it cant win in the competition since its an update. Didn't afkim 1 win an earlier comp. though?

The King
March 20th, 2007, 23:05
great program seems nice im going to try it out for the first time
i hope its worth getting

Sk8.4.Life
March 20th, 2007, 23:13
You know, not to put this down or anything because it's awesome, but http://www.ebuddy.com/mobile has been around since at least as long as the psp and it runs Aim/Msn/Yahoo just peachy as if you were on a phone. :)

xg917
March 20th, 2007, 23:23
OE version just hangs at a black screen.. ill try 1.50 version i guess

edit: 1.50 version works on 3.03 OE C

CandieC
March 21st, 2007, 00:35
they should make this a prx plugin that replaces like the update icon or another icon that would be awsome!

Dbgtgoten
March 21st, 2007, 03:31
OMG i've been waiting for an update T_T i wish this one had sound it would make it the best, this is the best!!!!! i was in the middle of the boondocks and i used AFKIM it connected dear god thank you danzel!!!!!!

Ultima Chocochu
March 21st, 2007, 03:47
SAWEET
I love this application as is
Now it's even better.
=]

DarthPaul
March 21st, 2007, 05:58
You know, not to put this down or anything because it's awesome, but http://www.ebuddy.com/mobile has been around since at least as long as the psp and it runs Aim/Msn/Yahoo just peachy as if you were on a phone. :)

Lmao that's for noobies. It's so slow. I've tried all messengers for PSP I think. And after a long of experienced noticed that Afkim is the best. It's fast and all. You don't have to reload the page to view the new messages and that like on ebuddy..Afkim rocks forever!

Ralbane
March 21st, 2007, 06:18
Fantastic app, works incredibly well.

Cap'n 1time
March 21st, 2007, 06:40
One (extremely) minor glitch (or maybe i was just too impatient to wait for an error message). If you put an invalid name in while signing up with bitlbee it seems to hang. I'm not sure what would happen if an account already exists or password is incorrectly inputed.

krazykarl
March 21st, 2007, 12:16
OE version just hangs at a black screen.. ill try 1.50 version i guess

edit: 1.50 version works on 3.03 OE C

oe version works if you're in 3.xx kernel mode and 1.5 version for 1.5 kernel, similar to iR shell 3.0

Im super glad to see this update. It really does make it easier to use and adds functionality. The only thing I could want from this program is to check away messages (and see if someone is away and not just idle) on AIM without having to im a person.

-Xandu-
March 21st, 2007, 14:42
Lmao that's for noobies. It's so slow. I've tried all messengers for PSP I think. And after a long of experienced noticed that Afkim is the best. It's fast and all. You don't have to reload the page to view the new messages and that like on ebuddy..Afkim rocks forever!

There are no actual PSP messengers other than AFKIM, all the others are just lame portals based on ebuddy..

DarthPaul
March 21st, 2007, 16:56
There are no actual PSP messengers other than AFKIM, all the others are just lame portals based on ebuddy..

Uhm...yeah there are some besides AFKIM. There are a lot of IRC and another similar to AFKIM made a while ago. I don't remember the name right now but I'll tell you when I remember. Just to prove that I'm not wrong. :)

Edited: Oh yeah. The name's PSPJagger or something like that. It's like AFKIM. That you can sign in to instant messengers. But of course that AFKIM is the best.

Method Man
March 21st, 2007, 18:30
i hate this app since some minutes... i was online at icq with this for 2-3 minutes and then exited it with the homebutton, after that i went to icq at my pc and it dayed all the time "icq number is used on an another pc?" thats 3 or 4 times then i can't till now go online at icq! WHY? pleaze help your german buddy!

Dillvill92
March 21st, 2007, 21:31
it wont let me post my im, any 1 know what to press??? ive tryed everything... sry its a NOOB question lol

Cap'n 1time
March 22nd, 2007, 06:50
it wont let me post my im, any 1 know what to press??? ive tryed everything... sry its a NOOB question lol

no worries. To send an IM have the keyboard thing up and push the D pad down. http://localhost.geek.nz/afkim/docs/gettingstarted.html
check that out also.

Method Man
March 22nd, 2007, 12:57
i hate this app since some minutes... i was online at icq with this for 2-3 minutes and then exited it with the homebutton, after that i went to icq at my pc and it dayed all the time "icq number is used on an another pc?" thats 3 or 4 times then i can't till now go online at icq! WHY? pleaze help your german buddy!

thx for your help :mad:
however... it works again :thumbup: :rofl: i had just to wait some hours :eek: :cool: :D

Stone Temple Pilots
March 22nd, 2007, 13:10
Wait, so we have to use the Automatic connection selection to use this? What the...

Cloudhunter
March 22nd, 2007, 13:11

That's not actually a afkim issue. That is due to the bitlbee server it uses.

However, why not just use the logout command before exiting... It should log you out then :)

Cloudy

M4LFUNCT10N
March 29th, 2007, 07:49
I'm having some issues... I'm running 3.10 OE btw. When it gets to the bitlbee account creation part, I'll put in a username and password, but it just says resolving at the top. It isn't doing anything. I've had to pull the battery to restart it a couple times now. Is there something wrong with the sign in server? Or maybe a way to set up an account and then mod the original file to add in the username/password?