PDA

View Full Version : Duke3DS - Duke Nukem 3D for Nintendo DS Released

wraggster
March 20th, 2007, 16:42
Our very own GPF (http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk) has released his entry into the Neoflash Coding Contest (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3934.0.html):.

SPREAD THE WORD

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Duke_Nukem_3D_DS

Heres Screenshots:

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds3.png

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/duke3ds2.png

Release Info

Port of the Duke3d from the GP2x port
The home page of the NDS port is http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk .

dpad move Duke
a fire
b jump
x look up
y look down
lefttrig strafe left
righttrig strafe right
select use item
start select
touchscreen look around, change weapon

dldi patch .nds and copy it and defs.con, game.con, user.con, duke3d.grp and supplied duke3d.cfg to /duke3d directory of card. might be case sensitive with Uppercase. It still needs sound added and network support, but is playable with your own provided shareware .grp or full version .grp file.

thanks and enjoy,
Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Dyson
March 20th, 2007, 20:13
Wow, awesome stuff. Need a .grp file though, anyone know where to get it?

wizard
March 20th, 2007, 20:39
Wow, awesome stuff. Need a .grp file though, anyone know where to get it?

I found one here
http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html

I actually have a disk with the shareware on it and the full version as well. I haven't been able to get this to work with the sharewares, but I haven't tried it with the full version yet. It just keeps saying "Too many errors. 0 Warnings and 13 Errors"

I'm using a Supercard Lite and have patched it with the DLDI. I'm hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong, because I'd love to have this on my DS.

XDelusion
March 20th, 2007, 21:21
Oh wow! Just add the ability to Fire via Left Trigger, Jump via virtual button at bottom of touch screen, and I'll be able to play it via touch screen.

In the mean time, the present control scheme seems kinda..

...GBA ish.

kidcodea
March 20th, 2007, 21:34
worked fine.

all it misses is sound and a mouse ;)

TeenDev
March 20th, 2007, 22:01
oh hell yeah!

know wat'd be awesome.... QuakeNukem3D!!!

Junixx
March 20th, 2007, 23:47
Sweet I'll try this later..

King DS
March 21st, 2007, 00:01
Duke Nukem 3D is my All time FAV Game EVER!! i used to make loads of Maps for it aswell using Build... so you can guess my joy as i find this!! BUT!!

it dont work with R4...

i cant use it...

Oh how this makes me cry inside... :-(

Mr_Biggs
March 21st, 2007, 00:41
sweet! Duke Nukem in my pocket! i was surprised to see this used atomic edition. my only complaint on implemented features is the d-pad turning. seems to go in large degree increments. and the touch screen aiming should have the crosshair follow the stylus point. but, this is amazing. thanks GPF!

voteforpedro36
March 21st, 2007, 00:51
OMG... plus I actually got the .gpr file! I can actually play it!

Conscript
March 21st, 2007, 07:22
Has anyone found a way to go back in the menus. Once i enter the options, i cant get out :/

rigor
March 21st, 2007, 15:34
The game screen should be on the top screen of the DS, and their should be the ability to swith weapons on the touch screen. The controls should be customizable as well.

wizard
March 21st, 2007, 21:22
I found one here
http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html

I actually have a disk with the shareware on it and the full version as well. I haven't been able to get this to work with the sharewares, but I haven't tried it with the full version yet. It just keeps saying "Too many errors. 0 Warnings and 13 Errors"

I'm using a Supercard Lite and have patched it with the DLDI. I'm hoping it's just something I'm doing wrong, because I'd love to have this on my DS.

I tried it without the DLDI patch and it worked. Great stuff.

XDelusion
March 22nd, 2007, 00:08
Yes I would definatly at the ability to config your own controls as well as weapon select and item select and activation from the touch screen, not to mention Use.

Spankster
March 22nd, 2007, 00:19
Works with my Supercard CF (no patching) and the GRP file from the Duke3D demo. Shame about the choppiness and lack of sound, though. Still, kudos for getting it to work, period. Might want to include better usage instructions, though, as it took me a while to figure out what I needed and where to place it.

stevo1986
March 22nd, 2007, 03:09
could some one uplode duke3ds.rar again when i try to d/l it i only get 212 k/bs instead of the 516 the file is thnx in advance

racingfreak92
March 22nd, 2007, 04:10
I cant find a .gpr file for this game can someone give me a link

squiggy69
March 22nd, 2007, 04:47
Can someone please post better instructions on how to get this game running? Im new at this and ive been trying to get this to work with no luck..... i have all the files downloaded along with the .grp file needed.

GPF
March 22nd, 2007, 06:36
The game screen should be on the top screen of the DS, and their should be the ability to swith weapons on the touch screen. The controls should be customizable as well.

during my beta testing period people kept asking for it to be on bottom screen ;( lol , have to figure a way to select that i guess.

tapping the touchscreen changes weapons to the next available one right now. but its kind of annoying if your using the touchscreen to move around.

The controls are kind of customizable if you edit the duke3d.cfg file, but you have to make sure that you replace the existing keys with other existing keys for the different functions.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
March 22nd, 2007, 06:40
I cant find a .gpr file for this game can someone give me a link

ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/share/3dduke13.zip

Download this sharware, install the game and than you will have Duke3d.grp in the install dir.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
March 22nd, 2007, 06:43
Can someone please post better instructions on how to get this game running? Im new at this and ive been trying to get this to work with no luck..... i have all the files downloaded along with the .grp file needed.

read the readme.ds file included with the release.

dldi patch .nds and copy it and defs.con, game.con, user.con, duke3d.grp and supplied duke3d.cfg to a /duke3d directory of card.

if your question is about dldi patching the .nds file check this thread http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54281

otherwise please post more details about what you don't understand or are having difficulting with.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

souLLy
March 22nd, 2007, 10:22
I was at a gamer friends house last night and I happened to show them the Duke Nukem port, he liked it so much that he's now buying a flashcard. GPF and me should be getting commision :P

Fujiryu
March 22nd, 2007, 13:25
Duke Nukem 3D is my All time FAV Game EVER!! i used to make loads of Maps for it aswell using Build... so you can guess my joy as i find this!! BUT!!

it dont work with R4...

i cant use it...

Oh how this makes me cry inside... :-(
Use Dlditool.exe with the r4tf.dldi to patch the NDS file to make it work with RF/M3 DS Simply carts.

rigor
March 22nd, 2007, 15:59
Thanks for replying GPF.

But look at Metroid Prime Hunters, the controls are very good with the stylus. And I think that if the game is on the touch screen and you wants to look around with the stylus, your hand can obstruct the view of the game.

But anyway, good work.

FunkyFisch
March 24th, 2007, 18:17
Some one send me the grp file via email...Please!
EmaiL:[email protected]

Arun70
March 26th, 2007, 10:12
Duke Nukem! That used to be my favorite game on PC!
Nice to have it back!

xenoid
March 26th, 2007, 16:37
you need to put the .con and .GRP files in the root of the card, in folder labeled DUKE3D.

this is what I had to do on my R4DS card.

cdreams
March 29th, 2007, 03:09
Can someone save everyone the hassle and upload a .grp file.

For some reason I am unable to install the game on my laptop, just saves it won't work regardless what I do. I think Vista has something that is preventing me from installing it.

So I think it would be much better if someone with a working version could upload all the files so it is just copy and paste, or at least the .GRP file.

Would be greatly appreciated I am sure. Cheers

souLLy
March 29th, 2007, 07:38
the grp file is copyrighted material, anyone who did so would be breaking the law and the rules of the forum.

JushinLiger
April 2nd, 2007, 10:05
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/erotictophat/borat_nice.jpg
Problems with the controls but this is top notch stuff.

Shejken
April 2nd, 2007, 23:13
I cant run it on my DS-X, I get 0 warnings and 13 errors =( I have DLDI patched it!
Thanks in advance,
Shejken

GPF
April 2nd, 2007, 23:42
I cant run it on my DS-X, I get 0 warnings and 13 errors =( I have DLDI patched it!
Thanks in advance,
Shejken

I finally got it working with my ds-x last night, still get the nasty errors, but i commented out the abort and exit code and then it works. I have got sfx working partially now and a few speed ups. Still get an occasion cache exception and random freezes. But hopefully will have a new release soon.

Troy(GPF)

shadax
April 4th, 2007, 00:34
I'm using an R4 Revolution with a Kingston Micro SD 1 GB. I have DLDI patched the duke3dS.nds file with DLDIrc patcher and the r4tf.dldi patch.

I placed the duke3ds.nds file along with DEFS.con, duke3d.cfg, GAME.con, USER.con, and the official, full version DUKE3D.grp all in this directory:

E:\Games\duke3d

where E is the letter my reader assigns the MicroSD adapter.

If it makes any difference I'm using kernal 1.08 beta or whatever the latest is on the R4 site.

This is the error I'm getting:

Can't open directory: /duke3d
Unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3d.GR
P

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1567/dukeerrorxm0.jpg

Anyone have the same issue or perhaps a solution?

Thank you very much for any help!

Edit: Solution

Ok, I realized the error is stating it's looking in the root directory for /duke3d and that's not where I have it, so I placed the directory to the root (E:\duke3d\ instead of E:\Games\duke3d) and now it runs fine.

Awesome stuff GPF!! Thank you! I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the next version!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit to avoid double post, but please read !! :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I can make my own suggestions, I think it duke3ds should definitely follow traditional FPS's on the ds if it's possible. Using the touch screen to look is a LOT better considering it's sensitive in that you can control how fast or slow you want to look around. Having the D pad makes it very GBA-ish. In saying that, the gameplay should definitely be on the top screen (isn't the top screens processor faster anyway?)

Another really fun thing to have would be an on screen keyboard just to have a little bit more flexibility than just the limitations of the DS's buttons. Weapon selects and inventory can be chosen with the top line of numbers and I think it's brackets for the items, we can also type in cheats etc. Also, with controlling with the touch screen, the d-pads directions can each be separate functions (open, jump, shoot, use item) and maybe the exact same functions on the other side of the ds (where up down left right and L = x, b, y, a and R respectively) for left handed stylus users.

Also, I'm not sure if there was anyway to toggle the options. I wasn't able to return to the main screen after doing so. The onscreen keyboard would also be extremely handy in this situation. I was going to try and disable sound (even though it's already absent) and lower the graphic quality etc to see if it would change performance.

Again, all this is in consideration of having gameplay on the top screen.

This is probably way too much, but again, it's just suggestions that given possible would make this homebrew from awesome to near perfect.

I think I speak for all of us that these would be really cool changes...and I hope I don't sound ungrateful or naive towards what it takes to put this together.

Otherwise.... it's excellent and thank you again GPF!!

Mr_Biggs
April 12th, 2007, 13:30
mods, ban or warn this retard. the discussion of warez and the trade of copyrighted files is not allowed on this site, even if you use it as a method to trade via email. if you want to play duke nukem 3D on your DS, go to ebay and buy the damn game, or find a demo version. otherwise, log off and do not post anything about GRP files until you have one in your posession.

piracy gets not only you into trouble, but this site and wraggy as well.

Buddy4point0
April 12th, 2007, 17:52
this is nice, im getting it now. wow i love my new cart

Yata^Duck
April 14th, 2007, 13:48
Got it working (R4) But no sound and the controls arent how i would like to have them.

Is there any way to change the controls and any ideas on how to get sound?

Thanks. Yata.

crookedmouth
April 14th, 2007, 15:48
All the answers are in the release notes Yata. No sound yet but a past post mentions he's working on sound and has made some progress. I think the controls are as is for now, but I'm not 100% sure.

j.smolka
April 20th, 2007, 10:15
This one disturbs my nice directory structure....! :(

Isn't it possible to configure it to be placed somewhere in a deep structure instead of the root position?

If it is not configurable yet, would you please consider it for future versions!?

:thumbup:

GPF
April 21st, 2007, 07:27
Yeah next version will have all the files in a /duke3d folder :)

theblueeyedninja
April 25th, 2007, 13:07
keep up the good work. I'll wait for the sound version. Cant wait!

j.smolka
April 25th, 2007, 13:19
Yeah next version will have all the files in a /duke3d folder :)

:mad: lol :o

XioN980
April 25th, 2007, 14:00
GPF is a pastor of muppets

jasicher
April 29th, 2007, 23:25
yeah really awesome work gpf, thx a lot for your efforts and keep up that good work :thumbup: love to play duke3d in my old days ;)

As mentioned before the controlls are not so handy at the moment, its a little bit like playin fifa with a steering wheel :D no, thats not true, just a joke :p
And yes the top screen would be a better choice and the touchscreen would give so many possibilities for extra controls.....

anyway, cool stuff :)

Mr. Greed
May 4th, 2007, 01:46
i love this, only this is that u can't point the gun up T.T and has weird controls

Wii60_FTW
May 4th, 2007, 08:52
Get's to the second or third logo screen with ur URL and background pic screen then:

"unable to initialize media device"

m3 simply

Llamatron
May 7th, 2007, 00:38
Same here... I have all the files that i am supposed to have ".grp, etc." , I'm afraid i might be patching wrong?? i have no clue. I have a M3 Simply as well...
Can someone just post a download setup specifically for M3 Simply please? :D

Wii60_FTW
May 7th, 2007, 07:11
Oh, I got mine working a few days ago.

I think all I had to do was patch it with the R4 file thingimajig doodad doohickey.

I might have been patching it with the wrong M3 file. The R4 works since the M3 simply and R4 are the exact same cards in a different box. So try that one.

If that doesn't work, I'll help u.

F2bnp
May 7th, 2007, 14:52
incredible!But there is one problem...
THE FPS!
I can't play it with so low fps.Hope it will be fixed

Hyrule_boy
May 11th, 2007, 10:26
Neat work! although it could use some improvements. The thing that mostly bugs me are the controls! It just doesn't play right. I get killed by simple enemies because of it. And ofcourse the FPS is low and no sound. But if those get fixed it would be awesome! And I highly recommand you to modify the controls like the one's from MPH! But that's just me talking... xD Anyway keep it up! I'm looking forward to the next release. :)

XDelusion
May 17th, 2007, 03:00
UP the FPS, correct sound, fix the controls, I.E.

Add Virtual Buttons to the bottom left and right of the touch screen, One to select items the other weapons.

Of course items will need separate buttons below the item icon, so you can select items, then press the item icon to activate or something to that effect. Weapons will just cycle through as normal.

Left Trigger Fire

Double tap touch screen to jump.

Then select can be used for kick or something.

That would be Duke 3D Heaven for me, until then...

...nice work, but I'll pass.

GPF
May 18th, 2007, 16:37
yeah still slowing working on it, I have alot of the sfx working now, but some just make noise and haven't figured out why yet.

For control i still have to do figure out why it won't do mouselook for the touchscreen, other then that the configuration file can be changed to make the controls work better for your choice.

Not sure if I have made it much faster yet, but from my vague recollection of duke3d running on my old p75 to me it doesn't seem that bad lol

Troy(GPF)

Hyrule_boy
May 18th, 2007, 22:46
yeah still slowing working on it, I have alot of the sfx working now, but some just make noise and haven't figured out why yet.

For control i still have to do figure out why it won't do mouselook for the touchscreen, other then that the configuration file can be changed to make the controls work better for your choice.

Not sure if I have made it much faster yet, but from my vague recollection of duke3d running on my old p75 to me it doesn't seem that bad lol

Troy(GPF)

Cool! I can't wait for the next release. :)

Wii60_FTW
May 20th, 2007, 06:02
Me 2. U gotta get this game working like Quake or Doom. That would be amazing. PLEASE!?

Hyrule_boy
May 20th, 2007, 10:13
Me 2. U gotta get this game working like Quake or Doom. That would be amazing. PLEASE!?
He will do his best to make it play at a decent FPS but it's hard and it takes allot time. So we've to be patient!

jklod
May 20th, 2007, 13:39
if anybody gets it to work i wanted to know if u can save and load it succesfully because i got everything for my ds emulator and i got the game-pokemon diamond-and i cant load my savegame when i try it says rom image has crashed. right now i am using no$gba2.4 as an emulator but i am about to try out some other ones. if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. also for no$gba does any1 no how to make it full screen?:D

-Peeve the Prodigy:cool:

DanTheManMS
May 20th, 2007, 19:26
That question is:
1. completely unrelated to anything in this thread
2. not allowed for discussion by the DCemu rules.

The one question I can answer: I do not believe you can make No$GBA go fullscreen.

jklod
May 21st, 2007, 14:37
sry about going against the rules but i jus cant save and i want to know why but if its against the rules then i understand.sry.

-Peeve the Prodigy:o

john38562
June 4th, 2007, 17:43
i used duke on my max media at first it said it could not read the fat ,then using the dldi patch it says it is missing the external con files after which it says writing defaults to current directory and freezes

help???:confused: :confused:

sybob
June 10th, 2007, 16:00
got exactly the same problem as john38562... using r4 btw :P

cheers,
bob

Jimsneed_1
June 17th, 2007, 01:56
Thanks in advance,
Shejken

I have the EZ5 micro SD that loads via the DS slot 1 and I get the same '0 warnings and 13 errors' message. I have already used Chisms dldi patch (I have patched other homebrew and have zero problems with running them) What can I do? Thnx in advance!!

BTY: I have all files in the necessary place on my micro SD.

fraze
June 26th, 2007, 23:49
Help, what is "DILI patch" and why doesnt Duke play when I launch the Duke 3D nds file?? Its time to kick ass and chew gum...and Im all out of gum...please help!!

Owends
June 28th, 2007, 20:23
Im using an m3 simply and im getting an Unable to initialize media device.. how do i solve this? is it a patch? if it is where can i get it..thanks :)

mellowman
July 7th, 2007, 02:19
Any chance of a edited version for Shadow warrior?
They essentially use the same game engine...

DSR4
July 7th, 2007, 06:08
wow i better try this game out right now!

King DS
July 9th, 2007, 13:29
got it working, but theres no back button ¬_¬

i went into sound options and couldnt get out of it.

Also what chance is there of getting sound? its not hte same without the theme XD

masterchief929
July 21st, 2007, 21:33
im new here... whenever i click on the download it brings up this screenhttp://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=17095&d=1174408651 what do i do

crookedmouth
July 22nd, 2007, 01:56
Sorry thats a download screen, so I don't know what you mean.
Try re-activating your account in your email that was sent to you?

evilmario666
July 24th, 2007, 15:53
help! i have all the necessary files in the correct place including the .gpr file (duke3d folder).

However, when i click on the game it starts fine, telling be to 'press any button!', so i do this and again it tells me to press any button but when i do... the neo flash picture thing at the bottom of the sceen turns strange... as if i am running windows on safe mode style. It says at the top

Duke3d
Portred by Troy Davis(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Duke Nukem 3d
v1.4 - Atomic Edition
Copyright (c)
1996 3D Realms Entertainment

And it freezes there!! I am using Games 'n' Music which is DLDI patched now (woohoo!) and i have a 1gb san disk card.

What shall i doooo !!

patgan598
July 31st, 2007, 21:30
Someone who could port?
Im thinking of Fire fight By epic megagames..
I dont really no if its abandonware but anyvay...
To the ds off course Anyone digg it?
:confused::confused::confused:?
Please email:
Msn: <[email protected]>

Help will be appricated.. VERY much...

wassah_2200
August 1st, 2007, 07:43
I got this to work with my games n' music card :D

I'm glad i still have this game on my computer...

Is there any way to get sound, or speed up the turning?

blakey87_1
August 1st, 2007, 23:33
Can anyone tell me if this runs well?

Hyrule_boy
August 2nd, 2007, 00:19
Can anyone tell me if this runs well?
The controlls suck
There's no music
There's no sound
The FPS is not that great

But it's a good start! because it's really ****ing hard to port a PC game. I rate the version that you can download at the moment a 6/10 because it works. It just needs allot work.

AMDX1325
August 3rd, 2007, 05:30
very very nice

himo12000
September 9th, 2007, 15:29
for duke 3d.nds to work you need to do what it tells you in the readme file

malik2007
September 9th, 2007, 18:48
Great answer.

Not.

iggytheroach
October 10th, 2007, 18:45
alright so things are running good if not slow... i tweaked the controls a little using the cfg file which seemed simple enough... problem became when i tried to switch the left and right keys on my d pad to be my straife keys.... any suggestions on what i might have changed wrong?

vapour99
October 24th, 2007, 02:42
Is this dead???

I agree with that other guy, as the fact that there is no sound is really a bummer.. almost more irritating than the genesis emu's for the ds not having any sound. I wanted "come get some" and got nothing.

also there is the matter of controls and frame rate. controls like quake ds would be mnuch appreciated. frame rates could be improved by using the RAM exp and lowering texture resolutions. I know the controld for duke 3d sucked, but srill dont give up this awnsome project! look at the diggs it's getting and the people waiting!

this neoflash compo version isn't really recent is it. I have a feeling that my oleas will go unheard....

superduffman
November 7th, 2007, 10:09
Hi all & GPF.
Can you tell me how far you got with networking?
I’m doing A MSc in networking and need an end of year project.
How would you feel if I did the networking for you on this?

Sonny_Jim
November 7th, 2007, 13:42
SuperDuffMan I think you'll find that this project is dead in the water. I think GPF did it as a kind of "I wonder if this will run" exercise. I'll pester him about it next time I speak to him.

EDIT:

frame rates could be improved by using the RAM exp and lowering texture resolutions.

Having more RAM does NOT MAKE A SYSTEM FASTER IF IT'S NOT USING A SWAP FILE. The DS cannot use swap due to it's lack of MMU. Lowering the textures would improve the framerate though.

maxy125
November 18th, 2007, 17:14
unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3D.GRP im using r4 what do i have to do? :(

GPF
November 20th, 2007, 03:12
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=546006#post546006

new test build with some sfx

GPF
November 20th, 2007, 17:48
unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3D.GRP im using r4 what do i have to do? :(

copy your DUKE3D.GRP file to the /duke3d folder

and/or make sure you have dldi patched the .nds file for your hardware.

Zaerdna
December 14th, 2007, 14:31
Hey i thnik you can get the grp file here
.http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=92512&%20package_id=99579&release_id=194510

bakermilward
February 25th, 2008, 17:29
That's great.

Playing Duke Nukem DS right now :D

Gamerdude7
August 7th, 2008, 20:58
Ok can someone plz tell me in simple language how I can put Duke Nukem 3D on my R4 for my DS? Plz keep it simple Im only 13!

renatodias
October 8th, 2011, 05:15
Isn't there a mediafire link?
download link doesn't work for me, it says: 404 File unavailable

Prep5242
July 4th, 2019, 06:30
Hate to necro, but I really want to get this working. After I got QuakeDS working on my R4i gold 3ds plus card, I wanted some of this action, but I can't seem to get it working. I put the .grp file in the duke3d folder, but when i try running the .nds I get this: "Can't open directory: /duke3d
Unable to open /duke3d/DUKE3D.GRP"
Is there something I might be missing here?

Prep5242
July 4th, 2019, 19:25
Got it working! Had the file organization wrong. This port is awesome, wish the controls were a bit more optimized. QuakeDS has me spoiled, its control scheme is perfect.

Prep5242
July 5th, 2019, 04:24
On the off chance that anyone will ever see this... Trying to save freezes the game up. It lets me name a save file but once I press enter (start) it freezes and doesn't save. Was the save functionality supposed to work?