PDA

View Full Version : Bethesda VP chats up Wii, says Oblivion not possible

Shrygue
March 20th, 2007, 21:07
via Ninteno Wii Fanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/03/20/bethesda-vp-chats-up-wii-says-oblivion-not-possible/)

For those of you who thought that Oblivion could grace the Wii (the game is coming to the PSP, so why shouldn't it be doable on the Wii, right?), you might want to take a seat. Oh, wait, you're already sitting, aren't you? Right, right ... well, uh ... it's not coming to Wii. Nope, no chance it'll grace the system as Bethesda's vice president of Marketing Peter Hines denies the rumor during a GameIndustry.biz interview.

Hines goes on to destroy our hopes by stating "It's something we'd like to do, but unfortunately it's not a very good fit with Oblivion. Oblivion is a very demanding game hardware-wise and in terms of graphics processing and raw horsepower. It's not something the Wii was designed to do. They decided not to make the focus on raw horsepower but on interface and so forth. It's a great console and many of us at Bethesda have one but I know that bringing Oblivion over is not possible - we'd have to do a whole new game." Right, but couldn't a port, with some cleaned up graphics, of the PSP Oblivion be possible on the Wii? The PSP is just a smaller PS2 or something, right?

What do you guys think? Would you want Oblivion on the Wii?

werpu
March 20th, 2007, 22:05
Before the chorus chimes in how Bad bethestha is, I have to agree with them, the main problem probably is ram, and the lack of a faster storage device (aka hd). I come from the pc side of things (where the Elder Scrolls series originated - btw. I like Gothic 1+2+3 way more than the relatively boring Elder Scrolls), and Elder scrolls already got a huge hit usabilitywise when Bethestha basically crammed Oblivions predecessor into the limited Ram of the original XBox and let PC people suffer from that as well. Games like Oblivion with seamless worlds need a medium for main storage which has fast random access times, and also need lots of ram for as few reloads as possible. While oblivion is really moderate in its hardware demands (look at Gothic 3 with its 1 Gig lower ram limit and one huge map in ram)
it still cannot be done on a wii, and similar games will suffer from that as well. It was a wise decision in nintendos eyes, their games focus on rather linear design with zones being opened, but it makes things a lot of harder if you want to break out of Nintendos path.

Now back to my Wii which I love.

hadrian
March 20th, 2007, 22:36
Before the chorus chimes in how Bad bethestha is, I have to agree with them, the main problem probably is ram, and the lack of a faster storage device (aka hd). I come from the pc side of things (where the Elder Scrolls series originated - btw. I like Gothic 1+2+3 way more than the relatively boring Elder Scrolls), and Elder scrolls already got a huge hit usabilitywise when Bethestha basically crammed Oblivions predecessor into the limited Ram of the original XBox and let PC people suffer from that as well. Games like Oblivion with seamless worlds need a medium for main storage which has fast random access times, and also need lots of ram for as few reloads as possible. While oblivion is really moderate in its hardware demands (look at Gothic 3 with its 1 Gig lower ram limit and one huge map in ram)
it still cannot be done on a wii, and similar games will suffer from that as well. It was a wise decision in nintendos eyes, their games focus on rather linear design with zones being opened, but it makes things a lot of harder if you want to break out of Nintendos path.

Now back to my Wii which I love.

If that was true then...WHY IS THERE A PSP VERSION??

PSP slightly less powerful than PS2 I understand, GC slightly more powerful than PS2, Wii twice(I think?) as powerful as the GC....so why not a prettier version of the PSP game? Can't Wii's DVD's store more than UMD?