PDA

View Full Version : Possible Brick..Help!!

jason_ford
March 20th, 2007, 21:40
Alrighty..I was updating my PSP from 3.03 OE-A to 3.03 OE-C...went through the process of making a Dxar file and started up the flasher. It got to 5% of the 1.50 subset...and then it just froze for like 10 minutes. So being the idiot that I am, I turned it off and tried to restart it. Now I have a black screen when I start up, though the power goes on. Can my paperweight be salvaged?

Triv1um
March 20th, 2007, 21:45
Alrighty..I was updating my PSP from 3.03 OE-A to 3.03 OE-C...went through the process of making a Dxar file and started up the flasher. It got to 5% of the 1.50 subset...and then it just froze for like 10 minutes. So being the idiot that I am, I turned it off and tried to restart it. Now I have a black screen when I start up, though the power goes on. Can my paperweight be salvaged?

Indeed, time for a new mobo or modchip.

Sorry to hear about it dude.

xg917
March 20th, 2007, 21:46
turn off your psp. turn it on and imediately hold R until a blue screen comes up. lets see if you get that far.

Shrygue
March 20th, 2007, 21:50
It looks like you have totally bricked, if the 1.50 subset wasn't completely written.

If your PSP is still under warranty, you can send it back to Sony to be fixed. However, you will most like to have version 3.11 when you get it back and that firmware can't be downgraded yet.

Another way is to have it modchipped, provided your PSP is not a TA-082. However, installing that requires opening up your PSP and soldering it in and it's very hard work I hear. Of course, you can always get it done for you professionally, at a price.

xg917
March 20th, 2007, 21:52
o true dat... totally forgot that recovery menu is used with the 1.50 subset

jason_ford
March 20th, 2007, 21:53
Recovery screen is a no show =(

Also..what is the likely cause of this (other than shutting it down mid installation)..and how could I..abort it next time?

And where can I get a new mobo =/

xg917
March 20th, 2007, 21:54
i think mobos cost more than mod chips. just to let u kno

jason_ford
March 20th, 2007, 21:57
Any disadvantage to having a mod chip over a mobo?

hodgy47
March 20th, 2007, 22:03
Only disadvantage is fitting a little bit fiddley and you must be good at soldering apart from that mod chip is better you can repair the psp flash with it and run dual firmwares official on chip and custom on psp.

Shrygue
March 20th, 2007, 22:06
It's better than buying a new motherboard (or a new PSP) every time you completely brick, at least.

jason_ford
March 20th, 2007, 22:08
Anyone know somewhere cheap that I can get one (for the US). Additionally, is there anywhere to get one installed fairly cheap?

Thanks for the help..

PS- Have we confirmed its toast?

Shrygue
March 20th, 2007, 22:10
You can look here (http://www.modchipstore.com/) for modchips and pre-modified PSPs with it inside. At the moment you can get a modchip for $70 (about £35).

TeenDev
March 20th, 2007, 22:14
my advice is to use it as a brick and throw at somebody in ur outrage! and then buy a DS which you dont have to do any weird flashing all the time....

Triv1um
March 20th, 2007, 23:23
then buy a DS.

haha, you suck.
nah I do kind of agree with you through, but psp > ds

TeenDev
March 20th, 2007, 23:44
haha, you suck.
nah I do kind of agree with you through, but psp > ds

... and then kiss my ******

he's right

Cloudhunter
March 21st, 2007, 00:07
Please not turn this into a PSP vs DS arguement... You don't have to flash all the time on a PSP.

Anyhow, yes it is a toast PSP.

Cloudy

pt9087
March 21st, 2007, 01:07
I had a similar problem but i didnt call it a brick cos i recovered it... my problem and yours is the dxar file got currupt or the mem stick is turd, on myne it just reebooted as it got to format flash so i was lucky but urs went a bit longer so its screwed. in the end i got the Winstaller and all was fine!