PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: PSP and DS will outdo home consoles

Shrygue
March 21st, 2007, 21:41
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/21/analyst-psp-and-ds-will-outdo-home-consoles/)

Don't throw out your handhelds: there's a lot of life left in them. According to an analyst at DFC Intelligence, the ever-expanding market for both DS and PSP will help allow it to beat the current generation systems: "Under the right scenario, by 2011 the combined installed base of the DS and PSP could exceed that for the Nintendo Wii, Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360," noted David Cole.

While Nintendo will be responsible for much of the growth of the handheld industry, Sony is certainly not out of the game--they will "establish a solid position in the marketplace" (if they haven't already). Cole reminds investors that "existing console game publishers have found it is possible to make over $100 million in revenue from a single PSP title based on the right franchise," a figure that's not to be scoffed at.

Ultimately, PSP's success will be determined by a number of factors, with Sony's support for the platform being key. Sony said they're working on exciting new things for the platform at GDC--hopefully, it's true.

Veskgar
March 21st, 2007, 21:59
I've long been expecting some sort of projection like this. I myself play handheld games ( DS Lite & PSP) more than I play my home consoles or computer games.

With a new version of PSP in the works and maybe something new from Nintendo in a couple years, combined with the increase of WiFi, portable gaming will only grow.

g00gy
March 21st, 2007, 23:14
i dont know why but ive always prefered handhelds over consoles, maybe its becuase i feel that they are more mobile

Broadus
March 21st, 2007, 23:38
Yeah, I play the hell out of PSP way more than my PS2 and even my PC. There's something about the device being portable that makes it easier to pick up and enjoy.
That wasn't true for my Gameboy Advance or Game Gear, though. Those games just weren't as enjoyable or addictive as console/PC games, so they'd only get my attention when I wasn't at home, and when I was EXTREMELY bored.
That, and the Game Gear is about as portable as a laptop, and has just as much battery life...

Ichijoe
March 22nd, 2007, 10:28
WTF are you smoking?! ~Might I have some too?!~
LOL tryin to compaire my lame-arsed PSP to my XBOX360 w/GoW is just about the funniest thing I came across today.

S0NY would have to pull some ~really~ Magical Crap out there Arse to save the PS3 at the moment, something tells me the PSP isn't even on there Radar anymore.

Stone Temple Pilots
March 22nd, 2007, 13:51
Calm down there guy. GoW is overrated and isn't the only game selling the 360 units bucko. Anyways, I firmly believe the handhelds have a solid grip on the video game industry and most likely put home consoles six feet under. I play my PSP a hell of alot more than my PS2 and Gamecube combined. As for the PC though, I highly doubt even the power of the PSP and DS can beat it. PC may not be mobile but it can do so much more.

Ichijoe
March 22nd, 2007, 16:40
Calm down there guy. GoW is overrated and isn't the only game selling the 360 units bucko. Anyways, I firmly believe the handhelds have a solid grip on the video game industry and most likely put home consoles six feet under. I play my PSP a hell of alot more than my PS2 and Gamecube combined. As for the PC though, I highly doubt even the power of the PSP and DS can beat it. PC may not be mobile but it can do so much more.

Playing ~what~ exactly?! Enquirering Minds want to know?!