PDA

View Full Version : Xlink Kai turns Ad-Hoc into Infrastructure

Shrygue
March 21st, 2007, 22:43
via PSP Fanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/03/21/xlink-kai-turns-ad-hoc-into-infrastructure/)

It's been a long time coming, but internet tunneling for PSP seems to finally be in full-swing. With Xlink Kai, and a compatible Wi-Fi adapter, you'll be able to play Ad-Hoc games, like Monster Hunter, online. Watch Impress was able to squeeze in 2500 people into a Monster Hunter Portable 2nd game room. All that's needed is: an Xlink Kai account (which is currently free) and a compatible Wi-Fi adapter, such as the PCI Gamering XII, which includes the appropriate drivers.

When booting up a game in Ad-Hoc mode, it will make other Xlink Kai users appear as if they're in the same room as you. With Xlink, so many of the PSP multiplayer games that fans have been collecting won't feel so lonely anymore.

Broadus
March 21st, 2007, 23:40
Y'know, you also have to be able to plug your PC directly into a router rather than connecting it wirelessly, don't you? Or could I somehow connect my laptop to the Internet with the built-in wireless thing and, with an external wireless adapter, connect the PSP to the laptop?
Though I can't really think of any Ad Hoc games that I'd like to play more than any of my PC games, since I have to be at home around the computer to play Ad Hoc online.

Cloudhunter
March 21st, 2007, 23:44
Yeah, it's possible to use two wireless adaptors, or the on-board one and an external one.

This is old news anyway... :rolleyes:

Cloudy

blaz3d
that is a poorly wrote article from the fanboy. xlink still only works in ad-hoc mode which makes their title pretty misleading! i suppose there on about the way it makes the ad-hoc work over the tunnel.

also ive been playing kai for at least 3 years on one console or another, its not new at all

any1 want help setting up PM me

xg917
i think that you need.

wifi adaptor to establish connectivity between PC and Computer
then plug the modem directly to PC to establish internet connectivity between PC and Internet

ex: PSP ->WiFi<-PC->Modem<-Internet->Xlink Kai

its like a chain.

shango46
March 21st, 2007, 23:45
I use Xlink Kai with my xbox and XBMC, but I have never tried it with my PSP (no wi-fi router).

I think a really neat idea would be a port of Xlime or the connect4 game for xbox to the psp as they are on Xlink as well. Is there any psp homebrew games that use xlink?

xg917
March 21st, 2007, 23:48
XLink with xbox is like.. xbox live for free? correct? like playing halo online?

blaz3d
March 21st, 2007, 23:58
yes xg917 pretty much its multi platform though. you can use ps2, xbox, gamecube,360, psp,im sure theres summat else aswell

I use Xlink Kai with my xbox and XBMC, but I have never tried it with my PSP (no wi-fi router).

I think a really neat idea would be a port of Xlime or the connect4 game for xbox to the psp as they are on Xlink as well. Is there any psp homebrew games that use xlink?

you dont need a router you need a wifi card for xlink. in theory you could play any emulator that has ad-hoc dependant on ping

Buddy4point0
March 22nd, 2007, 00:51
so could i just uuse my wireless router and my lap top or do i need something else?

DarthPaul
March 22nd, 2007, 00:52
Yeah this is kinda old...

h4s30
March 22nd, 2007, 02:37
hmmm...this is pretty confusing

topspot
March 22nd, 2007, 09:55
been using xlink for psp for over a year. easiest way is to buy a wifimax since xlink made it compatible and they have tons of tutorials for that.

pichon
March 22nd, 2007, 14:36
Does it work with Tekken?

mauro2029
March 22nd, 2007, 14:53
It should theorically work for any game that supports Ad-hoc. Granted this is old news, it's cool stuff like this gets ocasionally posted. There is always people out there who for some reason or another haven't heard of stuff like this, so when they do, this can actually help the community grow. One of the reasons I bought a wi-fi router and adapter was so I could do this... but I haven' tried it because every time I go on there is only hundreds of ppl playig Monster Hunter but no one is playing anything. I have Monster Hunter (but have not played it yet) so I guess I'll give it a shot in the upcoming days... but hopefully I'll find ppl playing different games (maybe bomberman, Virtua tennis, wipeout, ridge racer.... or anything else for that matter) (also hope my wi-fi adapter is compatible.... It's a D-link USB rev C *here's hopin'*)....

StuiWooi
March 22nd, 2007, 15:33
SERIOUSLY old news, but handy lil program none the less

Apoklepz
March 22nd, 2007, 17:36
I had heard this a long time ago, too...but, will this also work with emulators such as NJ's CPS2PSP and MVS2PSP, that support Adhoc...or even SNES TYL?

blaz3d
March 26th, 2007, 01:05
I had heard this a long time ago, too...but, will this also work with emulators such as NJ's CPS2PSP and MVS2PSP, that support Adhoc...or even SNES TYL?

this is nearly me double posting! i said dependant on ping (latancey of your internet connection between other users) it should work, but were talking like 10ms or somthing. so dont hold ur breath unless your playing your next door neighbour and hes got the same ISP as you :p

Does it work with Tekken?

it works with any official game with multplayer, ive played tekken(lots;)) but the GTA games require low ping (like 15ms or somthing)

Set up and play burnout or tekken wiv me!

teamxlink's kai connection guide (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=8ff10f1caa0bf60f3814df355b77b6ce)