PDA

View Full Version : Incoming VHBL exploit for the Vita 2.12

wraggster
June 24th, 2013, 09:46
f0Dw8OHG0b8

Some of you might have thought that we decided to not be a blog dedicated to hacking, given how slow the hacking news have been recently for the vita. There was of course the hope of a VHBL port from The Z, but that was a while ago, and he is still waiting for a “significant firmware update” from Sony before releasing his work.

But fear not, as developer qwikrazor87 contacted me with his own VHBL port, which will be released as soon as it is fully tested!

Now, this exploit comes with some limitations. First, as is often the case, we are talking here of a usermode exploit running VHBL inside the PSP emulator of the Vita. This means you’ll be able to play a vast majority of PSP homebrews on your vita (including emulators), but this will not let you play PSP isos (which would require a new Kernel exploit, the last public one was in firmware 2.02), let alone Vita isos (no public method exists for this, at all, so don’t ask).

Secondly, and this might annoy many of you, the exploited game is only available in the US. Yes, no luck for our EU or Asia friends…

But I have good news for those of you who are motivated enough: once the port is fully ready, I’ll have a tiny contest to let a few of you win some US PSN codes. I’ll also have a quick tutorial ready on how to switch your console to a US account (Sony did make that fairly difficult, so running VHBL might mean a few sacrifices for some of you).

Qwikrazor87′s VHBL port is more or less ready and I quickly tested it myself, but he hasn’t addressed one of the latest security patches added by Sony, which prevents us from writing anything in the PSP/GAME folder (basically preventing us from installing homebrews). But the solutions for that are known, and it’s just a matter of implementing a fix, either in VHBL itself, or in the various menus running for it. (I believe Qwikrazor87 and his beta testers already had homebrews installed from previous VHBL releases and were able to test compatibility this way)

As soon as this is done, I’ll be testing as much as I can and report on compatibility. The release will not happen overnight, these things take time, so, as usual, please be patient. In the meantime, enjoy this proof of concept video.

http://wololo.net/2013/06/20/video-incoming-vhbl-exploit-for-the-vita-2-12-by-qwikrazor87/