PDA

View Full Version : PSP vs. Wii: An Alien Syndrome graphics battle

wraggster
March 22nd, 2007, 19:42
via seganerds (http://www.seganerds.com/2007/03/21/psp-vs-wii-an-alien-syndrome-graphics-battle/)

Ya know, Nintendo has always said it’s not aiming to have the best graphics in the home console business, but I never thought I’d see the day when a handheld rivaled the Wii’s graphic’s capabilities.

The game in question is Alien Syndrome, which is developed by Totally Games. I don’t think there’s any question the Wii version pushes more polygons, but the PSP’s textures look cleaner and more crisp.

However, I do want to say this problem could have more to do with the developer and the fact the games are still unfinished. But whatever way you slice it, it’s hard to argue that the games don’t look pretty similar, graphically speaking.

Screens Via Comments - Judge for Yourself

skater9269
March 22nd, 2007, 19:46
umm plus thats not the same level on each screenshot or camera view and to tell you the truth I dont care about games that I dont intend on buying.

Cokemusic
March 22nd, 2007, 19:56
The graphics apear to be very similar , although we all know that if it is the case where the psp's graphics are superior , it's only because the game hasn't utilised the Wii's full potential.

And I do agree , it's unfair that you showed dif levels and camera views , it's an unfair comparison.

DarthPaul
March 22nd, 2007, 19:59
Anyways. Wii could have better graphics. But Wii is supposed to be a "Next-Gen". PSP's graphics are awesome and they're comparing with Wii's. That means that PSP is something very powerful. Haha.

emuking
March 22nd, 2007, 20:06
have any of you seen zelda or super mario galaxy oh god all of you are full of sh1t

IM back!
March 22nd, 2007, 20:06
The psp is powerfull for being a hand held and the wii is weak for being a home consol theres no comperasin.

SSaxdude
March 22nd, 2007, 21:08
Yeah but the PSP nearly dead, and the the Wii is doing well. No comparison.

flyer
March 22nd, 2007, 21:08
It looks the same but the wii has to have better graphics than that

Yeah but the PSP nearly dead, and the the Wii is doing well. No comparison. Well the wii is selling like the gamecube at first but then the gamecube didnt sell much it compleatly dead

sappo
March 22nd, 2007, 21:15
To me it seems that the Wii version ownz PSP's.

Also the Wii is selling like 10 times the Gamecube sells, outstanding PS3 by five times and reaching the half of XBOX360 sells in only 3 months, against X360 2 years on the market.

Buddy4point0
March 22nd, 2007, 22:26
zelda and mario always have like twice as good graphics as all the other games. that the way is always been and thats the way it wil always be.

mungrin
March 23rd, 2007, 01:50
umm plus thats not the same level on each screenshot or camera view and to tell you the truth I dont care about games that I dont intend on buying.

Then dont post you moron.

I tihnk this is a momentous achievment for the PSP

Joe88
March 23rd, 2007, 03:40
Well its no surprise
im sure you seen the gfx of burnout dominator on the PSP, kinda like revenge compared to burnout 3, no contest :cool:
not to mention the PS2 and xbox version looked exactely the same
optimization = win

iniquitous_beast
March 23rd, 2007, 06:45
Indeed, the wii pics look a bit fuzzier. However, I believe that this is due to the fact that every psp uses an identical screen. Thus, programmers can optimize the game for that exact screen for the best image. Also, they failed to specify whether these wii screens were taken using component or composite cables. Wii graphics will naturally look bad on an lcd screen without the use of component cables. There are just too many variables for me to take these pics as the gospel truth of the wii's inferiority.

emuking
March 23rd, 2007, 07:25
all of you sound like idiots

PlayingKarrde
March 23rd, 2007, 17:39
The Wii images have been scaled down as well.

I would hardly call this a momentous achievement for the PSP. The game looks bad on both systems.

acn010
March 23rd, 2007, 17:45
does it really make a difference on graphics between these two consules? for me no

Broadus
March 23rd, 2007, 23:59
What the heck? How does the PSP manage to look nicer than the Wii? Doesn't the Wii have the power of, like, the first XBOX? They must be doing a God-awful job with the graphics.

Aside from the mysterious differences, I hope this isn't supposed to be some kind of competition like "SHOULD YOU BUY IT FOR WII OR PSP!?" If anyone actually wants the game, then the choice would be obvious as to whether they'd want to play it anywhere on a portable device or at home on a console.

ArchAngel
March 24th, 2007, 11:22
As soon as a solid line of Final Fantasy games come out for the PSP, Noone is going to care about nintendo Wii... Sony would have the game completely covered if they stopped and thought about what they were releasing and who they were selling to, instead of agreeing to any game they could get thier hands on in the quickest amount of time. If they had released a kickass game such as FFT (Which should have been done 2 years ago) They would have outclassed any other handheld today. I dont know about you, but I like being able to see all angles of my character, and kick some polygon arse in style.

And tell me, how are you going to incorporate a magic wand controller into an awesome rpg... fight the battles yourself? Oh yeah, Id like to swing my controller around fighting off enemies every 60 seconds, progressively getting more time consuming battles and praying for the next save spot. Nintendo is aiming for the genre that loved the XBOX so much. Sport fanatics and people that jump and duck with thier controllers, even though it has no effect on thier gameplay. Just now it does with the Wii. Quite frankly in my own opinion, I like to sit on my couch after a long days work, and move nothing but my thumbs and forefingers. Atleast with the PSP you don't have to look like an idiot when you throw your Wii controller through your TV in an exciting game of baseball.

Sony, if you read this, next time invest in a little bit more technology, if you are going to release a handheld system for as much as you did, Incorporate a little more than just (We did it first).

Stone Temple Pilots
March 24th, 2007, 12:19
seeing how PSP is just a handheld, it wins hands down. But overall, the game looks like crap.

cloud_952
March 24th, 2007, 18:44
o_O Dunno what everyone else is seeing, but personally the Wii screenshots look more impressive than the PSP ones, especially in the second set. The PSP uses blocky guard rails around the pit, on the north side of the pit on the Wii there's a smooth, rounded rail.

Just in general, the Wii one looks better.. so what's the fuss?