PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu (Edgy) is A1

Zion
March 23rd, 2007, 04:32
Ive just switched from the agrevation of windows vista (wish i never purchased it) to the joy and brillance that is "Ubuntu Edgy"

Talk about better.

I got

Faster Webbrowsing
Faster Downloads
Faster usage (no lag, damn all proccessing etc)
and only took me about 20 mins to set everything i needed up (brilliance of ubuntus installer system)

All i have left to do is set up the psp toolchain and im good to go :)

Making ubuntu my sole os and removing windows vista was a joy...... finally the agrevating lock ups, internet troubles (i still have some with my network but a lot was cuased by vista) and general incompat, pc crashed several times when i intsalled things on vista.

so heres my recommendation.

Download ubuntu edgy v6.11 (its free software) and save your $$$ for something else ;)

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 04:38
Im using ubuntu also it is a handy piece of goodness...
And its for free :)

kcajblue
March 23rd, 2007, 04:44
what is ubuntu

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 04:55
a linux like enviroment for developing

kcajblue
March 23rd, 2007, 04:58
what is the difference between it and vista.

NoQuarter
March 23rd, 2007, 05:21
You can also buy the linux magazines with different distro's in them.
I just got knoppix 5.1.1 and some other ones on the dvd.
Most of them work with or come with the 3d desktop which is really cool in my opinion

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 07:00

Actually, it IS linux and it's made specifically for newbie end users, not developers.

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 07:07
I said for developing, not for developers, and its a way of introducing the mechanics of linux,
Oh and its not linux, its linux-based (get your facts strait)

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 07:31
I said for developing, not for developers, and its a way of introducing the mechanics of linux,
Oh and its not linux, its linux-based (get your facts strait)

It uses the linux kernel making it linux. Something like uClinux that uses a heavily chopped down linux core would be called linux-based. Saying it is for developing means it is intended for developers to use for the developing process, otherwise you would have said it was for learning linux. Don't try to back out of the statement because it was wrong.

zidanerick
March 23rd, 2007, 07:35
Ive just switched from the agrevation of windows vista (wish i never purchased it)

I feel the same way, have had nothing but trouble with vista, the only problem i have with going to Ubuntu as my sole OS is that i am an avid gamer and cannot leave them behind :P

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 07:49
back out of what conversation, my statements remain grounded.
i quote this statement from the ububuntu homepage:

Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.

developing means to contribute to the one or more facets in the software developing process

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 08:12
back out of what conversation, my statements remain grounded.
i quote this statement from the ububuntu homepage:

Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more.
Wow, oddly they leave out compiler, IDE, code editor, linking tools, or anything related to software development!

developing means to contribute to the one or more facets in the software developing process

Which is what I said, and what you meant in your first post, but not what you claimed to mean in your second post.

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 08:24
1. cause the average person does not use it for developing.
(sony doesnt advertise being able to run linux on the ps3 do they)

2.Read my first two posts again... The first one it said was

the second one i said:
I said for developing, not for developers

it doesnt matter if they are doing something done before(hello-world) its still considered developing

hmm interesting

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 08:43
1. cause the average person does not use it for developing.
(sony doesnt advertise being able to run linux on the ps3 do they)

2.Read my first two posts again... The first one it said was

the second one i said:
I said for developing, not for developers

it doesnt matter if they are doing something done before(hello-world) its still considered developing

hmm interesting

And regardless of what they do, if they are developing, they are devlopers. If it is intended for developing then the audience is developers. Either way it's a moot point, since it's not in any way aimed at being used specifically for software development.

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 08:51
It is still better for developing than other OSes, and its free so its what a lot of people use

all my point was is that i wasnt wrong you can develop better on it than other OSes that you have to pay for

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 09:20
It is still better for developing than other OSes, and its free so its what a lot of people use

all my point was is that i wasnt wrong you can develop better on it than other OSes that you have to pay for

You're talking about linux in general, not ubuntu (which you actually claim isn't linux). Also, linux is no better for developing than the major alternatives (Windows or MacOS). The biggest difference is that linux often FORCES you to know your way around development tools to use software for it.

lmtlmt
March 23rd, 2007, 09:26
told ;)

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 09:29
all your doing is twisting words around not making any sense...
its pointless, i was talking about ubuntu being more accesible and able more than other OSes taking into consideration certain factors.

And tell me why Zion is getting the psp toolchain if he doesnt plan on developing under ubuntu?

"Also, linux is no better for developing than the major alternatives (Windows or MacOS). The biggest difference is that linux often FORCES you to know your way around development tools to use software for it."

which makes it a hit or miss situation rather than... oops i f'd up wonder where i did it, and have to trace everything back

not saying that wouldnt happen on ubuntu but it is less likely, and way more manageable

quzar
March 23rd, 2007, 10:02
And tell me why Zion is getting the psp toolchain if he doesnt plan on developing under ubuntu?

Because he already was planning on doing that. That has nothing to do with the intended audience of ubuntu nor its intended purpose. You said it was "for developing". Someone using a bread knife to stab someone doesn't make it right if you were to describe the bread knife in the store as a murder weapon.

Chameleon
March 23rd, 2007, 10:23
So linux forces you to know what your doing, and ubuntu is linux based...
I think id prefer to get confirmation of my misdoings rather than later down the line and have to backtrack to see what the error was.

This makes it easier for the user to critique their own work

Ari
March 23rd, 2007, 11:03
Actually, ubuntu does include gcc (compiler), just like every other linux distro. But it's clearly not intended for developers...

I don't really like ubuntu too much, though. Yeah, it was my first distro. It seems way too limited after trying out some other distros. There's not even a root password by default! And even if you add a root password it doesn't let you use it for a graphical login.

I think the best newb distro is SuSe, though. It's super-easy to set up and I haven't had any problems with it. Though it is fairly slow (but ubuntu is too, at least compared to minimalist distros like gentoo and arch). Fedora's supposed to be pretty good, and it even comes with development tools, but it doesn't like my network card for some reason. I had to start it manually at boot every time I started up my PC, and that was more hassle than it was worth. But others seem to have had better luck with fedora than me.

My favorite distro is Gentoo, though. It's REALLY fast, super-customizable, has good community support, and doesn't install useless software by default! Plus, it has the best package manager ever (portage). It's a lot of work to set up, but it's worth it. Or you could try sabayon, which is basically a gentoo auto-installer. I thought installing gentoo was a fun learning experience, but I'm sure that a lot of other people would disagree. So sabayon has all the goodness of portage without the setup hassles (supposedly). But all their mirrors are REALLY slow for some reason. Oh well.

Zion
March 23rd, 2007, 11:05
Someone using a bread knife to stab someone doesn't make it right if you were to describe the bread knife in the store as a murder weapon.

:rofl:

nice one :p

Cloudhunter
March 23rd, 2007, 11:26
Ubuntu is Linux, and just because it is Linux doesn't mean it's aimed at developers.

It CAN be used to develop, there's no question of that, but it isn't aimed at developers, it is aimed at newbies to Linux.

I think quzar's statement says it all...

Someone using a bread knife to stab someone doesn't make it right if you were to describe the bread knife in the store as a murder weapon.

Bottom line is, don't argue with quzar :p

Cloudy

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 01:37
so would it be better for me to have ubuntu than vista?

baracki96
March 24th, 2007, 01:45
so would it be better for me to have ubuntu than vista?
Well, only if your fed up with vista to the point were you have considered just blowing it up. Basically if you have a bunch of problems, or just want your OS to be clean/fast/ and malleable then ubuntu may be for you. I have two laptops, one XP and one Ubuntu, and I may use my XP laptop once a week.

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 02:01
what is beryl

baracki96
March 24th, 2007, 02:09
what is beryl

Beryl?

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 02:12
what does it do.
and if you guys havent noticed.
im really stupid when it comes to stuff like this.

baracki96
March 24th, 2007, 02:22
what does it do.
and if you guys havent noticed.
im really stupid when it comes to stuff like this.
It changes the way windows are displayed. Look here http://www.canekpelaez.com/pensadero/posts-images/2006/10/beryl.png
for a good example. It basically is just eyecandy that is installed with a version of linux (ubuntu,knoppix) to make it look cooler. Functionally it is almost purposeless as far as I know.

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 02:25
if i do install ubuntu and i dont want it anymore.
can i go back to vista?

baracki96
March 24th, 2007, 02:30
if i do install ubuntu and i dont want it anymore.
can i go back to vista?
Yes, but really its not like firmware on the psp. When you install a new operating system, you have to reformat the harddrive(s) you are currently using, and doing this too much puts stress on the drive perhaps resuling in a sligh decrease in functionality. In short; if your going to change to Ubuntu, do some research on it first. What I did is I downloaded a live cd ( they are free) and that boots ubuntu from the cd on startup so that you can try it out without completely installing; you run Ubuntu completely from the disk. check the ubuntu website ( ubuntu.com) for more information on that.

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 02:32
thanks. ill try that.

EDIT:
when i tried to boot the disc while restarting, it acts like the disc isnt there and boots normally.

EDIT:
got it working now.

S34MU5
March 24th, 2007, 11:51
That was heated.

Someone got owned o.O

I'm gonna set up a Dual-boot with some wort of linux when I get the chance. Don't want to fully swap. Need to free up my hard-drive though -.- only 10GB left :(

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 16:34
how would i dual boot if vista was preinstalled and if i have two hdds.

Napalm-Death
March 24th, 2007, 17:23
Use a bootloader!

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 17:25
i know that.
but my laptop has 2 hdds

Junixx
March 24th, 2007, 19:13
I had used Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) and are you saying XGL/Beryl comes with Edgy?

kcajblue
March 24th, 2007, 19:33
i need to know how to use my second hdd for ubuntu.

btw
junixx.
what happened to cpu.

eatnooM
March 24th, 2007, 20:13
Have tried on many occasions to install ubuntu, but I seem to be part of every minority that will have more diffficulty getting things installed :x

Cap'n 1time
March 25th, 2007, 23:20
We can all agree ubuntu is pretty incredible. It's a linux distrobution based heavily upon debian's rather famous apt package tools with a very helpful community. Its what all the linux distrobutions that became proprietary tried so hard to be and failed (redhat, mandrake, lindos, Suse under novell, etc). All the cool developers tools dont come with it. I dont think gcc even comes with it, since you dont have to compile anything. You can, however dl pretty much everything you want (including the gcc and the other important dev tools) from their repositories, or someone elses repositories. Ubuntu makes an excellent desktop.

kcajblue
March 25th, 2007, 23:51
lol. i cant connect to my router in ubuntu.
can someone help me.

Cap'n 1time
March 25th, 2007, 23:57
lol. i cant connect to my router in ubuntu.
can someone help me.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

This is your best friend.

Cloudhunter
March 26th, 2007, 00:06
Gonna install Ubuntu Edgy shortly ;)

Wish me luck.

Cloudy

kcajblue
March 26th, 2007, 00:47
every time i try to go in networking.
bug buddy shows up instead.

Triv1um
March 26th, 2007, 19:58
I use Ubuntu.

Very good indeed. Im trying to get it on my ps3 at the mo.