PDA

View Full Version : The Sony Interview: Play to Win

wraggster
June 25th, 2013, 23:38
Sony’s stinging attack on the Xbox One business model at E3 saw the PlayStation firm take pole position in the next generation console race.
Here, SCEE CEO Jim Ryan tells MCV why it hasn’t won yet...
What’s the aim for PS4 2m consoles sold by Christmas?
(Laughs). I think right now we have to content ourselves with the news that we will have a launch in Europe before Christmas and we have a price point. We are going to be aggressive, and the price point and marketing efforts will reflect that. But right now it’s too early to talk numbers.
But are we looking at a PS2-style pre-Christmas drought?
The whole process of moving from design and engineering to mass production, that is all on track. But until we hit mass production, we won’t know for sure.
You mention being aggressive. So this is not going to be a soft launch?
Oh my, no. It is going to be a proper PlayStation marketing event. In the UK, Fergal [Gara, managing director], Murray [Pannell, marketing director], and the team have been given their orders to go out and do a bang up job. And we’ll be investing accordingly.
The new UK team is focused on growing its share, but it has been fighting a losing battle with 360. Does PS4 give them a fresh start?
We have the building blocks in place to make a step-change in the UK. Because over the course of the cycle I don't think we got it right in the UK. We now have a number of things in place to help address that. And PS4 is hopefully the time all those things come together.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-sony-interview-play-to-win/0117669