PDA

View Full Version : Snes9xGX Unnofficial

wraggster
March 23rd, 2007, 23:24
Yoshihiro has released an unnoficial version of the Snes Emulator for the Gamecube and Nintendo Wii:

Features:

support of the D2A and D2B drives

fix for PAL consoles.

launching from SD or a DVD

Useage:

Download file Ci below. It contains the emulator, a small software making it possible to create an image disc (to engrave on a DVD), as well as the sources.

Extract the contents from this file in a corner of your hard disk.

In the file lately created, go in GcIsoMaker. In bootdisk/roms, place the roms legally obtained. Attention, the roms must be with the format zip or smc and anything else (not of rar amongst other things).

In the GcIsoMaker file, carry out then Creat_GC_BootableDisk.bat, which goes created the Iso ready to engrave.

Wait a little, then press on a key. You will obtain with the root the image gcdic.iso. Engrave this image on a DVD (with the software to vote choice, Nero for example).

It is finished! Place your DVD in your Wii, then launch to have your Snes emulator on your Wii!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

ydderf45
March 23rd, 2007, 23:50
so how do we play roms off of this emu?

Zaine
March 24th, 2007, 00:04
we need a modchip/loader to run this do we?

ryan2006
March 24th, 2007, 00:59
yes

Broonale
March 24th, 2007, 04:36
Have the L & R buttons been fixed?

It is awesome to see these games on the Wii!

retman
March 24th, 2007, 13:41
so how do we play roms off of this emu?

By CD or SD card it says that in the first post

we need a modchip/loader to run this do we?

you can use the "Homebrew Launcher for Wii" from Datel

Gnimm
March 24th, 2007, 19:01
I just ordered the homebrew launcher. So do these emulators (NES, Genesis, SNES) run well?

retman
March 25th, 2007, 13:31
I just ordered the homebrew launcher. So do these emulators (NES, Genesis, SNES) run well?

I don't know, you'll ned to ask someone who has a homebrew launcher.

Gnimm
March 25th, 2007, 14:41
I assumed you did, since you offered the advice.

At any rate, it was a general question to anyone.

slappy1
March 25th, 2007, 17:37
I have gotten the emulator to work and launch games from the DVD.

I ran into some problems though.

To get this to work:

1. Your Wii must be chipped.

2. Once emu is downloaded extract contents of GcIsoMaker to the root of your C: drive.

3. Open bootdisk folder, rename bootbdr.dol to bootldr.dol. (Change 2nd b to l, spelling error)

4. Place no more than 933 files in rom folder.

5. Place any file of 200Mb or more in the bootdisk folder and rename padding. (To ensure DVD iso is created rather than CD iso)

6. Launch .bat file included.

7. burn created iso and enjoy problem free SNES goodnes.

Hopefully we'll see the other emulators support boot from DVD on the Wii.

Gnimm
March 25th, 2007, 20:26
I wish more people posted on this forum.

ketchupcow
March 26th, 2007, 02:42
the file sgxi.exe isnt in with the archive(its in the readme), so im gonna asume that its not need, though i am trying to use the datel launcher, i have not tested it yet, will post when i do.

*Edit*
I have gotten the emu to run, but it can't read the sd card thats is in the Datel Media Launcher. So its useless. This could be part of my setup, as I don't have SDLOAD, but With the media launcher you can't add a new game, and enter codes, so it wouldnt work any ways.

Gnimm
March 26th, 2007, 03:52
Thank you. Yeah, let people know how it works.

slappy1
March 26th, 2007, 15:47
the file sgxi.exe isnt in with the archive(its in the readme), so im gonna asume that its not need, though i am trying to use the datel launcher, i have not tested it yet, will post when i do.

*Edit*
I have gotten the emu to run, but it can't read the sd card thats is in the Datel Media Launcher. So its useless. This could be part of my setup, as I don't have SDLOAD, but With the media launcher you can't add a new game, and enter codes, so it wouldnt work any ways.

I have not gotten the load from SD feature to work with any emulator. Not sure if it is because I have a Wii or what. I got it to work by injecting each rom individually and the using SD/PSO reload, then selecting a different injected rom. So, all games were .dol files essentially.

If the injection file is not available with this version, try an earlier version. I know their is a version that includes the injector and still plays all the games just as well.

good luck.

Macjackson
March 26th, 2007, 16:41
:confused: Shit I can`t download. Can anyone store this file at rapidshare or send me per email? Please !!!!:(

Gnimm
March 26th, 2007, 17:08
:confused: Shit I can`t download. Can anyone store this file at rapidshare or send me per email? Please !!!!:(

You have to right-click the file. Left click doesn't work.

Macjackson
March 26th, 2007, 17:23
:( I do so but he only saves the file: "attachment.php.html "at my desktop

Macjackson
March 26th, 2007, 19:29
were can i download the file except the attchment?

Macjackson
March 26th, 2007, 20:44
Where can I find the mkisofs.exe its not in the rar file?

sjc03
May 11th, 2007, 22:44
Using the dol files on a UK gamecube and PAL 50 TV gives no change . SDLOAD load reboot and saves not there.. If I new nothing it works just like version 4 did except you can see the joypad buttons ?
My Wii gets delivered tomorrow so shall see if it works any better on that.

dcard2000
May 26th, 2007, 15:46
I don't have a chipped Wii. It seems that the emulator cannot load ROM from DVD nor SD, if the Wii is not chipped. Can anyone confirm that?

xplosideas
May 28th, 2007, 20:30
Its works with a not chipped wii.
You have to put the roms in a folder called SNESROMS in the root. If you want to save, create a folder called SNESSAVE. It works for me with a unchipped wii and Datel SD Media Launcher.

dcard2000
May 28th, 2007, 21:48
Do you mean you can load the files from a DVD?

I can only do it from a SD card with the softmod. Can you share the procedures?

jopolson
June 1st, 2007, 20:17
My wii is modded with a Wiinja Deluxe and i've tried 5 different way to create the DVD but the Wii wont recognise the disc,

any help?

sosambora
June 2nd, 2007, 00:43
Hi guys - new to this forum as I got a Wii a couple of days ago (modded so that I can run homebrew stuff).
I managed to creat an ISO (using the very helpfull instructions) on this thread. The emulator boots up fine and all my ROMS work - but all the games run with black boarders like a (crappy) 50Hz PAL SNES! - I'm running my UK/PAL Wii in PAL 60hz mode and al my Wii games run full screen and even the start up to the SNES emu is running @ 60hz full screen - but when the SNES games load - crappy letter boxed 50Hz:-(.
I'm very gratfefull for having the emu, but is there not someway to implement a screen re-size option - or just a "force 60HZ" /NTSC mode or something?
Are people with US/JAP consoles also having this problem? or is it definately to do with having a PAL Wii?.
Many thanks in advacne for any help:-)

gary_abernethy2
August 17th, 2007, 22:08
Ah, Nintendo forced an update on me that wont let Action Replay work anymore on the Wii.
Does anyone know a way around this?
PLEASE help!
[email protected]

zubiac
August 19th, 2007, 17:41
No
Once you have done the update you are basicly "screwed".
I guess you have to wait till a updateable Action Replay for Wii will be released.

Also Nintendo did not force you to do the update.
Noone has to update if he doesn't want to.

gary_abernethy2
August 21st, 2007, 18:16
I was one of the unlucky few who did not get the warning with the update. It was disguised as just another harmless digital clock/weather channel update, and it was anything but. There was no update, but rather a downgrade. No, they didnt force it on me, but they did trick me. And thanks to the people like me who complained a storm about it, they at least offer a warning now with the update. Still though, Im pretty screwed :(

slicegunz
August 22nd, 2007, 09:05
Hello I have snes9xgx v2.0 1b8 on my sd card in my gamecube, but:
1. I cannot play two players.
2. I cannot save, I have the file snessave in the root directory.
3. I cannot access the ingame menu, (L+R+Z+B) ends the game and brings me to the sdload menu.
4. Roms won't load properly although they are displayed properly in the Choose Game option, Load from SD Slot A

Can anyone help me with this please. I have been googling for days trying to get it working properly. The games do work, but without saves and multiplayer, I'd rather use my Slow Dream Cast SNES Emulator.

slicegunz
August 22nd, 2007, 09:11
Hello I have snes9xgx v2.0 1b8 on my sd card in my gamecube, but:
1. I cannot play two players.
2. I cannot save, I have the file snessave in the root directory.
3. I cannot access the ingame menu, (L+R+Z+B) ends the game and brings me to the sdload menu.
4. Roms won't load properly although they are displayed properly in the Choose Game option, Load from SD Slot A

Can anyone help me with this please. I have been googling for days trying to get it working properly. The games do work, but without saves and multiplayer, I'd rather use my Slow Dream Cast SNES Emulator.

Sabres
August 23rd, 2007, 05:21
Use an earlier version of SNESGX. I use SNESGX v0.0.5x

The recent versions of SNESGX are designed for the Wii, and while you can run them on the Gamecube there are tons of compatibility problems with the system.

zubiac
August 26th, 2007, 10:20
I can't find this version(v0.0.5x) anywhere since tehskeen is down.
Could you provide a link or send the emu via e-mail to me?

thanks in advance

Sabres
August 26th, 2007, 16:43
This should be version SNESGX v0.0.5x, particularly the edition with the correct L and R button configuration. If you find that the L and R button configuration is backwards, please let me know and I'll look for the version that has the correct configuration. However, I'm pretty sure that the one I'm uploading is the correct one.

zubiac
August 30th, 2007, 05:43
thank you a ton sabres!
I'll try it.

you rock

gary_abernethy2
September 2nd, 2007, 21:48
Is there any SNES emulator for cube that will play Yoshis Island, Kirby Superstar, Kirby 3, and Mario RPG?

Sabres
September 4th, 2007, 00:00
The one i posted on page 4 of this thread plays yoshi's island. Not sure about the other three games, but i haven't played a game yet using that emu that weren't compatible or didn't run correctly, other than a few games that have distorted sound effects.

gary_abernethy2
September 4th, 2007, 17:19
Sabres, you are awesome, thank you!
i can confirm it plays Yoshis Island, Kirby Superstar/Superdeluxe, Kibys Dream Land 3, Super Mario RPG, and Starfox. The only rom so far I couldnt get to play is Super Legend Of Zelda (the Zelda 3rd quest beta) and thats no surprise.
But that early version doesnt have a save feature does it? :(

Sabres
September 4th, 2007, 20:45
^^^

It supports SRAM, but not Save States. That was the last version that was designed for the Gamecube. All other versions were made for use on the Wii, but they have serious compatibility problems when used on the Gamecube.

gary_abernethy2
September 5th, 2007, 17:27
Oooh it DOES save, it just doesnt save and load automatically.
I must of missed the SRAM Manager at the bottom my first time checking it out.
And it seems to be compatable with my saves from 2.0 Nice :-)

wolf9545
September 6th, 2007, 20:48
When I downloaded it I noticed that it doesn't have subdirectory support. Did the ones that have subdirectory support were made for the wii?

Sabres
September 6th, 2007, 22:52
^^^

I'm not sure I understand. You put the dol file on the root of your media, then you create a folder called "SNESROMS" and put your unzipped roms in that folder, then you put that folder also on the root of your media (media being either a dvd-r or sd card).

gary_abernethy2
September 7th, 2007, 03:57
subdirectory support?
his link is to download the .dol file. think of it as the emulator, the "system".
you dont save the games IN the system any more than you can shove all your games into your super nes at once.
you put them all into a folder called SNESROMS at the top of your card.
if your question is if this particular .dol file will work with that program that lets you chose your system from a list of them all, then i dont know. i found that program to be a little unnessisary since every emulator has a PSO/system reload that works quickly and easily.

wolf9545
September 8th, 2007, 13:46
subdirectory support?
his link is to download the .dol file. think of it as the emulator, the "system".
you dont save the games IN the system any more than you can shove all your games into your super nes at once.
you put them all into a folder called SNESROMS at the top of your card.
if your question is if this particular .dol file will work with that program that lets you chose your system from a list of them all, then i dont know. i found that program to be a little unnessisary since every emulator has a PSO/system reload that works quickly and easily.

What I like to do is create the folder SNESROMS and then inside that created a folder for each letter of the alphabet. Then I stick the games that start with A in the A folder, games that start with B in the B folder, etc. This way when I want to run a game I don't have to hunt through a huge list. With the emulator that was posted when I click on the letter it tries to load that not go further into the folder (subdirectory support).

Sabres
September 8th, 2007, 18:09
^^^^

I'm pretty sure that what you are trying to do can't be done using SNESGX

Besides, when you load your list of roms, you can just press left or right on the DIRECTIONAL PAD to quickly skip entire pages of roms.

gary_abernethy2
September 8th, 2007, 23:30
YaY, I learned what subdirectory support is ^_^
I feel dumb lol
Anyway, I dont think ANY of the emulators for GameCube have subdirectory support. They all seem to be pretty picky how you name your roms folders.
Not that Im complaining, having all these systems and games on one little SD Card is pretty damn sweet!

wolf9545
September 10th, 2007, 02:06
I know they can do it because that is how I am using it right now; just a note I'm not trying to sound angry or anything just confused. Maybe I have the versions that were made for the Wii (which I also have but sadly updated to 3.0, no big deal gamecube works fine).

Which games (doesn't have to be all of them but some) that using the latest version of the SNES emulator on the Wii doesn't work to good on the gamecube so I can see what you guys are talking about?

Sabres
September 10th, 2007, 03:08
Well, playing Mortal Kombat II on SNESGX v0.0.5x, the sound is really messed up. The same goes for Secret of Evermore, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Road Runner's Death Valley Rally.

Anyway, I tried using SNESGX version 2.something, and when I tried playing Mortal Kombat II, the game was super slow and the screen was blacking out every other second. I tried out a few other games, some of them worked fine but others had the same problem as MK2 (i forget which other ones i tried out though). So anyway, I just stick with SNESGXv0.0.5x

The only other problem i've had with SNESGXv0.0.5x is that i had to inject Super Mario Kart into its own DOL file and load it that way, as i can't seem to open that rom from my SNESROMS folder and i tried several different versions of that rom.

wolf9545
September 11th, 2007, 01:22
I see what you mean about Mortal Kombat 2. Every time someone gets hit the screen goes black for a second.

eke-eke
September 24th, 2007, 14:08
YaY, I learned what subdirectory support is ^_^
I feel dumb lol
Anyway, I dont think ANY of the emulators for GameCube have subdirectory support. They all seem to be pretty picky how you name your roms folders.
Not that Im complaining, having all these systems and games on one little SD Card is pretty damn sweet!

that's not true:

- on DVD, there is unrestricted subdirectory support, you can put your roms anywhere you want and use subfolder if you want. When you choose "LOAD from DVD" it start from the root of the disc.

- on SDCARD, the initial rom directory must initially exist (so the emulator know where to start looking for roms) but then, in ALL emulators, you can browse the SDCARD to load roms, which mean that you CAN create subdirectories inside the initial rom directory...

btw, as specified in the readme's, it is generally a good idea to use subdirectories since the maximal number of file that can be read from a single directory is 1000 and also, when using SDCARD, having more than 100 roms in the same directory can take a long long time to be read ;)

Regarding the problem of loading some roms from SDCARD, it is due to bugs in libogc SDCARD support (which emulator use for low-level access to the card). The LFN support is bugged and the loading error could happen when there exist multiple files that begin with the same 5 letters (or so). Note that deleting/renaming the files on the SDCARD will not work as they still remain in the internal file structure of the card, the only solution is to have a brand new formated sdcard and to keep max. only 2-3 files with similar filename in the same directory (that's another good use of subdirectories)

Finally, specific game problems (sound or graphics bugs) are emulation related problems: they could be due to some emulation bugs in the original snes9x (try the game with the windows version to see if the same bug is present) or more probably to some speed issues with the NGC port (being more accurate than the older version, snes9x 1.5 also requires a lot more CPU speed than 1.43, that's why some games dramatically slow down in this port). In the last case, nothing much we can do beside rewriting a lot of the original snes9x code.

Sabres
September 24th, 2007, 21:58
Hi Eke-Eke. Just wanted to thank you for all the projects you've worked on.

Sabres
September 26th, 2007, 01:01
Regarding the sound problems on SNES9x GX v0.0.4x and v0.0.5x, I tried playing Mortal Kombat II on SNES9x v1.43 on my computer and the game played fine without any of the long distorted sound problems. So, the sound for MKII plays just fine on SNES9x v1.43 on the computer but when I try to play the game on the Gamecube using SNES9xGX the game has sound problems.

I imagine that the case above is probably similar for all of the other games i've played that have the bizarre distorted sound problems on SNES9xGX, including Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, Secret of Evermore, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. One game that has sound issues on both types of emulators though is Earthworm Jim 2, or is it part 1? I'm thinking part 2. Although i remember that every SNES emulator that plays SNES games has trouble emulating the sound in Earthworm Jim 2.

CalcProgrammer1
October 18th, 2007, 21:54
SD card support is broken. I have an SDML, formatted 1GB card as FAT32, put SNESROMS directory with some .smc files, and it tells me "Unable to open SDCARD! Press A to Continue". I've tried both slot A and B. What's wrong, NES emulator does the same thing.

darkness angel 777
October 18th, 2007, 22:16
thanks I'm gonna install it right now

Sabres
October 25th, 2007, 04:19
SD card support is broken. I have an SDML, formatted 1GB card as FAT32, put SNESROMS directory with some .smc files, and it tells me "Unable to open SDCARD! Press A to Continue". I've tried both slot A and B. What's wrong, NES emulator does the same thing.

Try this version that I've uploaded.