PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo HD 2.0 Impressions

wraggster
March 24th, 2007, 00:09
via ign (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/775/775420p1.html)

To coincide with the UK release of the PlayStation 3, Sony and Polyphony Digital have revved their engines and moved Gran Turismo HD to the European PlayStation Store. But while US and Japanese gamers are still running laps in version 1.1, UK gamers have gotten the world's first taste of Gran Turismo HD Concept 2.0.

Largely identical to version 1.1 (and 1.0 for that matter), GTHD 2.0 includes the same 10 cars, the Eiger Nordwand track and time trial and drift options. However, there's one major difference: Version 2.0 includes Force Feedback support. Yes indeed, now that Sony and Immersion have kissed and made up, Polyphony has been able to implement the technology into the game. Listing official support for four Logitech wheels, namely the Driving Force Pro, GT Force, Driving Force and Driving Force EX, racers are now able to actually feel the road as they compete for leading laps times on the game's online leaderboard.

We plugged in a Driving Force Pro, the same wheel that we used to review Gran Turismo 4, and took a few laps with each of the game's 10 available vehicles. The implementation seems to be very basic for the time being, perhaps just a "we're going to do it" proof of concept. Much of the feedback feels like it's based only on engine feedback rather than the road. While you'll feel a jolt when you drive on or off the track, you won't feel pebbles, grass or anything of that sort.

As the first couple cars are rather underpowered, you might not even realize that it's on. Once you get up to the Ferrari 599 GTB, the wheel does provide a great bit more feedback and lets you know whether or not your wheels are on the ground, but only subtly. Again, it doesn't feel as if everything in the world has been assigned a Force Feedback variable yet, so compared to what we saw in Gran Turismo 4 it's a pretty weak implementation.

It's only a start, however, and we have no doubt that Polyphony will nail Force Feedback by the time that Gran Turismo 5 actually ships. For now, you can sleep better knowing just that.

Emulation_Chief
March 24th, 2007, 06:41
Hello:

Obsolete technology on PS3? Sure Sony's fool enough to say that force feedback is "last generation" technology. Now they have to put their mouth in their @**es. Most people out there doesn't like to play their favorite games on other consoles and even the PS2 ones on the PS3 because of not having the rumble feature.

Sure thing Sony doesn't finish the battle with Immersion earlier. They probably would be more successful for the PS3 launch to include both SIXAXIS and vibration.

jonezybaby
March 24th, 2007, 09:57
i wood play PS2 games on my PS3 anyways, i try a few, ones that have no issues and the sheer quality of the picture is soooooo S*** i wood rather play my PS1. so i think im gonna keep my PS2 for now :(

Demibeard
March 24th, 2007, 22:13
The only games that don't work on my PS3 are....

GT 4, SSX, MotoGP, Tony Hawk's Project 8, Tourist Trophy, Driv3r, World Rally Championship, Tomb Raider: AOD (No great loss), Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II.

The other 30 PS2 titles I own work fine (ish) GTA-San Andreas has a graphical glitch or two and the menu shakes on GT4 "Prologue", but the game plays fine.

Either there is something up with my eyes or TV, but I thought the games looked fine, I take it you've upgraded your system software jonezybaby?

jonezybaby
March 25th, 2007, 18:22
yea i have, the problem was i was runnin the PS3 on a HDTV thru HDMI cable and it tried 2 over do it. wen u put PS3 on standard tv the games play fine.

DONT PLAY PS2 GAMES ON HDTV lol