PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Not Doomed By Slower Sales

wraggster
March 24th, 2007, 23:20
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/ps3-not-doomed-by-slower-sales-246741.php)

When the recent NPD sales figures for February hit last week, there was much doom and gloom cast over Sony's PLAYSTATION 3 performance. Selling a paltry 127,000 PS3s while stores were uncharacteristically rich with supply did not bode well for the console and fostered doubt that gamers were ready for PS3's $500 and $600 price points.

But while the Xbox 360 bested the PS3 at retailers by a solid 100,000 units last month, don't think that Sony's out of the game. 1UP's Luke Smith contends that, in the proper perspective, sales of the PLAYSTATION 3 really aren't that bad. In fact, they're better than Microsoft's numbers during the same time period last year.

Obviously, there are many other facts to consider, such as the limited supply of Xbox 360s during that period and the $200 price difference between the next-gen consoles, but Luke addresses all that. Its a fascinating look at how Sony and the PS3 may not actually be DOOMED!

SSaxdude
March 24th, 2007, 23:45
I think the lack of PS3 exclusives (they're coming to 360) will be the last nail in the PS3 coffin.

shadowprophet
March 25th, 2007, 01:20
Lol This makes me wonder. At what point will sony just hang the ps3 out to dry. I mean think about it. If the best thing the ps3 has going for it is "were not doomed" .Then really if you give the competition the credit it deserves for its current market share.
Then yeah. really they are doomed. A little over four months since its U.S release. And this is the kind of news perpetuating around the ps3? "were not doomed?"

Okiedokie :rofl:

ICE
March 25th, 2007, 01:24
i still think its a bit early to say that ANYONE is DOOMED. however hearing it so many times this fast is a bit alarming.

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2007, 01:41
I hope Sony won't be doomed(maybe the way they act) but that would be the end of PSP :(

Plus, Playstation has always been an awesome console. The PS3 is just a bad(emphasis) choice on their part; if they can make it to PS4 I hope they'll fix it...

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 01:43
Lol This makes me wonder. At what point will sony just hang the ps3 out to dry. I mean think about it. If the best thing the ps3 has going for it is "were not doomed" .Then really if you give the competition the credit it deserves for its current market share.
Then yeah. really they are doomed. A little over four months since its U.S release. And this is the kind of news perpetuating around the ps3? "were not doomed?"

Okiedokie :rofl:

PS3 is actually doing really good considering the price and actual competition this year (unlike Microsoft). There are a ton of PS3 games to come so don't count Sony out of the race ;)

shadowprophet
March 25th, 2007, 01:51
I don't understand how people can say its too early to declare that one console had won over another. If the tables where to have been turned in favor of ps3 this generation, sony fan boys everywhere would have been screaming from the top of their lungs. "Yet another failure from nintendo- Just like the N64 and Game cube before it"

People somehow fail to accept that at the moment and really since launch. The wii has been on fire and steadily held over 50% of the market. With the 360 holding steady because of its full year head start. and the ps3 performing miserably with a meager 18%.
And we must realize a lot of the meager sales the ps3 has gotten have been because of strategically placed launch schedules. The ps3 was just recently launched in europe. And of course launch day is going to sell a few consoles.

Ultimately. People can scream what they want to about the price of the console not effecting there decisions. and they can get insulting toward other people saying things like" If you cant afford it then stop whining.exct." The short simple fact of the matter is.

600+ dollars is a taboo price tag for a home console. The neo geo was a great system.
But with its price tag. never entered the main stream competition. Not because it wasn't good. But because people have limits to how badly they want to be raped at a cash register just for pretty graphics.

I think the over all idea of how gullible the average gamer is. is vastly over estimated by console developers.

People know what they want. And the short simple sweet fact is. People aren't going to break a grand just for pretty graphics. they didn't do it with the Neo Geo, And they aren't going to do it with the ps3.

And lets face it. What else can a ps3 give someone that other consoles cant. except for pretty graphics?

The signs of the seasons are all around us. Developers that wouldn't have touched the game cube are flocking to the wii. with no end in site. Nintendo now has its up and coming third party support, which was the only reason people said nintendo failed in previous gens.

Is it the fact that people cant accept that nintendo is winning, that they cant admit to?
Or are they just being soft on a competitor that would have destroyed nintendo and wiped its ass with its left over IP.

I say its time to be fair about the issue.

People claim its to early to declare a winner and in fairness, That's possible. But its not so early that even a blind man could see nintendo is mopping the floor with the competition this Gen.
With no end in sight.

MZeroEW2
March 25th, 2007, 03:25
True but with the Wii holding alot of the same gameplay over and over again. how soon will it be untill the gamers get mad.

just Because God of War is a good game doesn't mean i want 50 rehashed titles. i want one with 2 at the most.

And what happend when nintendo was bragging about how wii would be so good for FPS well we all saw what happened there. shotty controlles ruin a game

I do belive we need more time to find out what PS3 can offer us it's still a young system but at it's age it still has better games then 360 had at it's time

I would know i have a 360 have a PS3 and play wii all the time. i still find my PS3 on more then anything else.

and the truth is people will pay for graphics i think the computer indrustry is proof of that with the new high end cards coming in at $500.00-$600.00. just for one part. but you still need good ram a good CPU a good motherboard just to tap the power of your graphics card.

in retrospect, PS3 sits at a very good price point in my view. this is not because of the Blu-ray drive wich i found many good uses for. but because of what it contains the unit as a whole.

and now that the PS3 can use Folding@home and i've seen how fast it does this i beleave in the power of the unit.

Sony is not ready to tap out. wich means i'm not ready to turn my back, why would i do that to a company that has given me so much. no other game company has let me beta test 3 PSP games.(currently beta testing Killzone liberation online patch) no other company has given free games(games givein Guitar Hero, prince of pershia the two thrones, and GTA San andreas)

so i say give sony and the PS3 time for all you nay sayers out there you really haven't experianced the PS3

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 03:43
Meh.Wii has been a disappointment for me. I haven't touched it in weeks and there aren't many games I'm looking forward to. Truth is the PS3 price is whats stopping people from buying. I for one don't have $800 to blow at the moment, but when I do I'll definitely get a PS3. Plus tons of games will be coming out which will boost PS3 sales (in case you haven't noticed, check the release dates on IGN). Theres many reasons to get one, just people don't have the money atm. Just watch this summer, the PS3 sales will pick up as students get summer jobs. :cool:

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2007, 03:48
Wii was at first a disapointment for me too. But when my 360 up and died I started playing my Wii more. As it seems, I didnt give Zelda TP nearly the chance it deserved. It starts out bad but it rocks!

And there are a few games im looking forward too--

Animal Crossing
SSB Brawl
Mario Galaxy

:)

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 04:03
I stopped playing Zelda at the water temple :rolleyes:

ICE
March 25th, 2007, 04:32
the wii doesnt have much out right now in the way of software true. however looking at the games coming soon I AM STOKED! super paper mario, super mario galaxy, metroid, mysims, smash bros, heck MoH is even looking pretty good.

its been quite a while since ive had the issue of spending too much money on games.... but ah man i want all of those.. i need a job.. or ... something..

shadowprophet
March 25th, 2007, 04:32
To be fair. I will say this.
The only thing that's stopping me from buying a ps3. Is its currently poor market performance, and seemingly bleak future.

If things change for the ps3. You can start the countdown to when shadow will purchase one.

I was burnt with the Phillips CDi and the Dreamcast. I wont throw my money down on a failing console ever again if I can help it.

If in the future the ps3 pulls out of this slump. you can count on shadow having one.

But im just not one of those people to rush out and buy a beefy console with a beefy price tag, just because the console has Halo. "Insert x-box pun here" :D

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 04:38
Failing? The PS3 is backed up by Sony. It won't go the way of the CDi or Dreamcast. Sony has been successful before, and they'll continue their success in the future. Theres no doubt about that. (IMO Nintendo's Wii could fail software wise if they don't get their act together).

ICE
March 25th, 2007, 04:45
3rd party support isnt instantaneous. pandemic and ea have already pledged more wii support so 3rd party wii support is coming. give it time. with hardware as sweet and the wii the software will come... i hope..

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 04:50
Ya, thats what I was thinking when I got my Wii. But so far the only games I'm looking forward to are Paper Mario and Mario Galaxy. Every game I would own would be Nintendo made games.

shadowprophet
March 25th, 2007, 04:58
3rd party support isnt instantaneous. pandemic and ea have already pledged more wii support so 3rd party wii support is coming. give it time. with hardware as sweet and the wii the software will come... i hope..
Your worry's are unfounded brother ice.
People are still playing the third party support card. even though nintendo has proven they are amassing more and more third party support every day.

The tables are tipping toward nintendo. And with that table tip also comes more third party support.

Game developers will tell you. creating a game requires a lot of resources and man power.
The reasons third party devs wont develop titles for console with a smaller installed user base is simple.

It would take them the same amount of man power to achieve less revenue with that smaller user base. People don't seem to realize it. But the market has already spoken.

We are about to see a huge third party development shift all focused on the nintendo wii and its massive user base.

Its common since. Its logic. and its the way the business works.;)

The only thing preventing a lot of third party developers from just running the gamete and jumping ship to nintendo at this very moment. is contractual obligation.

Over these contracts that where signed and inked long before the wii was launched, after these obligations are fulfilled.
you will see many developers make the shift over night.

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2007, 05:58

Just finish that worthless temple and get the last fused....thing.(can't remember name) Trust me, it gets better.

DarthPaul
March 25th, 2007, 06:25
Haha you guys are just a lot of froobs without a brain. Just wait for Metel Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots and let's see who's the real deal!!! Kame-Kame-Ha!! Lol

zidanerick
March 25th, 2007, 07:31

lol me too, only cos my 32" lcd died :'(

lmtlmt
March 25th, 2007, 07:44
man this ps3 thread turned into a thread about nintendo wii:p

shadowprophet
March 25th, 2007, 07:48
*pats himself on the back for a job well done.

DPyro
March 25th, 2007, 16:35
*pats himself on the back for a job well done.

:eek: He's Reggie in disguise!

March 25th, 2007, 17:43
Sony has put far too much time, effort and money into the PS3 to let it just crash and burn.

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2007, 18:19
Too bad they didn't listen to what customers wanted. If they didn't put that worthless Blu-Ray drive in it and they put more attention on customer wants and needs it'd be on my gamers corner right now because it probably cost a max of $300.

wolfpack
March 25th, 2007, 18:27
The PS3 did just come out a few months ago (in the U.S.) so you gotta give it time before PS3 is done. Remember when the xbox 360 came out? not much of a variety. Give it time folks.

March 25th, 2007, 18:47
Too bad they didn't listen to what customers wanted. If they didn't put that worthless Blu-Ray drive in it and they put more attention on customer wants and needs it'd be on my gamers corner right now because it probably cost a max of $300.

Blu-ray isn't worthless, I wish people would stop with that argument. It really is that vital.

INixxI
March 25th, 2007, 19:18
Blu-ray isn't worthless, I wish people would stop with that argument. It really is that vital.

People make the argument because it a legitimate concern. If the non-gaming media type their system plays is 'vital' to the business model, then they're just not putting the best interests of the consumer in front. They're either trying to cash in on a different market, or in sony's case attempting to make their media format an industry standard . Neither of these benefit you, the user. If anything, you, the user, are being used as a tool to further their other business agendas.

Zion
March 25th, 2007, 22:04
its the ridiculous price tag thats doing it...

who has that kind of money availible to splash on a console + it annoyed me that they made us europeans pay more :mad:

Shadowblind
March 25th, 2007, 22:10
People make the argument because it a legitimate concern. If the non-gaming media type their system plays is 'vital' to the business model, then they're just not putting the best interests of the consumer in front. They're either trying to cash in on a different market, or in sony's case attempting to make their media format an industry standard . Neither of these benefit you, the user. If anything, you, the user, are being used as a tool to further their other business agendas.

Agreed. They should have just done what Microsoft did with HD-DVD, make a Blu-Ray attachment for the PS3 instead of building it in, cost and all.

muffinman
March 25th, 2007, 23:06
wow i actually like my ps3. Why does everyone bash it so :S

Tree
March 25th, 2007, 23:27
wow i actually like my ps3. Why does everyone bash it so :S

yeah same here i dont no why people dis it ... just coz the price is high but remmber u dont get something 4 nothing ... nd u pay 4 quity! u 4get wat the PS3 has ... BLU-RAY PLAYER ... they cost alot ... nd u can play games on it wid HD grapics ... wifi 4 free ... soon there getting home ... wat more do people want ...

DPyro
March 26th, 2007, 00:15
its the ridiculous price tag thats doing it...

who has that kind of money availible to splash on a console + it annoyed me that they made us europeans pay more :mad:

But they gave away free HDTVs! :rofl:

Basil Zero
March 26th, 2007, 18:50
I hope Sony won't be doomed(maybe the way they act) but that would be the end of PSP :(

Plus, Playstation has always been an awesome console. The PS3 is just a bad(emphasis) choice on their part; if they can make it to PS4 I hope they'll fix it...

i really cant see that, like another member said, its too early to say something like that, give the ps3 a year or 2 just like PSP, and the sales will be good.

Shadowblind
March 26th, 2007, 18:54
I'm not the only one who says that.

I really don't care for Blu-Ray. Why can't people just be satisfied with a dang DVD?

INixxI
March 26th, 2007, 19:10

I really don't care for Blu-Ray. Why can't people just be satisfied with a dang DVD?

Its not that they can't, its that they won't. Admitting standard dvd is fine would limit their own glorification of the system. Rejecting the notion allows them to justify buying a 600 dollar system. In essence its the difference between ps3 users saying "Gee I've been ripped off" and "Wow this technology I'll end up using perhaps sometime is awesome!"

iamteamc
March 27th, 2007, 07:36

Yeah, you're right we should still be using CD's so our games can be broken up into 6+ disc sets. Screw DVD why did the market choose to move to a format with more space? CD's work just fine!

lmtlmt
March 27th, 2007, 07:42
elowel

INixxI
March 27th, 2007, 17:00
Yeah, you're right we should still be using CD's so our games can be broken up into 6+ disc sets. Screw DVD why did the market choose to move to a format with more space? CD's work just fine!

Right on, I totally agree! I mean, the only thing that could possibly make this arguement more relevant is if the situation at the time of the CD's death actually paralleled this situation at all.

iamteamc
March 27th, 2007, 19:50
When did the CD die? Holy crap. Im still using them for music and mp3 discs for my car. I guess I'm just behind in the latest trends.

I was just making the point that of course theyre gonna move to a format that provides more space. Why limit yourself to 4.7/9.4G when you know HD content is gonna take up far more space. It may not be the case at this moment but games are gonna need more space, just the same way RPG's had to utilize multiple CD's for their hours of CG video content. At least the PS3 will be able to have the freedom to utilize the space from its Blueray format for games, the only thing the XBOX360 will be able to do with its HD-DVD addon is play movies.

PS1-CD(700M) -> PS2-DVD(4.7/9.4G) -> PS3-BlueRay (25/50G)

I have both a Xbox360 and a PS3. I like them both i see more potential with the PS3 for obvious reasons, a high capicity medium being one of them.